Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 (Ref:4228763)   #726
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Untried, untested, not in the AVL evaluation, limited supply (they may not have 10x for Bathurst) and actually might make Ford engine performance worse than the regular Swiss cheese version. And of course not (yet) signed off by V8Supercar.

Perhaps wouldn’t be so interesting if Bathurst wasn’t just a couple of weeks away..
Doubt that the new crank would be worse it would likely be better in every respect and isn't the Blanchard car using one for the parity evaluation?
Old Yesterday, 12:56 (Ref:4228764)   #727
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Nobody knew of any crankshaft issues with Ford's engine for the last 18 months either.
Until sandown the engines had been very reliable I thought, it sounds like a bad batch from the supplier.
Old Yesterday, 14:30 (Ref:4228767)   #728
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Until sandown the engines had been very reliable I thought, it sounds like a bad batch from the supplier.
And now they shall seem to use a previously unknown m-to-them supplier of crankshafts in the replacement engines.

There was talk of these crankshafts coming out of China.. not the FoMoCo Performance centre in the US… so a third or fourth party at best…

Imagine building 10x of these engines and they lose even one in practice, without a serviceable spare… just WOW!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old Yesterday, 21:51 (Ref:4228853)   #729
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Having engine problems and also looking at an engine parity adjustment leading into Bathurst is a nightmare that no-one wants, that's for sure.

In that linked piece with Brad Jones earlier in the thread, whilst he's not saying it fully outright, it sounds like the Ford engine produced stronger outputs than the Chev on the transient dyno - and Brad is expecting a parity adjustment prior to Bathurst (along with the other Chev teams I suppose). I'd be surprised if any difference is other than minor but from Brad's tone and words, it appears that the difference is there.

Even in this professional age, there is a lot of emotion in the pit lane heading into Bathurst (we used to call it "Bathurst fever") and across the board, as a general rule, the teams all get a bit more uptight and fractious from about 6 weeks out from Bathurst each year.

Any parity adjustment is a bit of a hot potato in pit lane but in the lead up to Bathurst, it's a hot potato, loaded with firecrackers. However, if the transient dyno results show that such an adjustment is warranted, then so be it, as the dyno was the last part of the "measure everything" process and has been sought for some time, particularly by Ford.

To then have crank problems only raises everyone's heart rates considerably & as BJR had a problem with the crank in one of its cars at Sandown, may not just be a "Ford" thing. Perhaps about now is when the idea of going to "production" engines starts to look not so cheap and not so smart overall?
Old Today, 00:22 (Ref:4228874)   #730
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of people need to understand that power is a function of rpm x torque.
Old Today, 02:53 (Ref:4228892)   #731
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
I can see another boring, processional bathurst coming up again unfortunately.
Old Today, 03:13 (Ref:4228893)   #732
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I think a lot of people need to understand that power is a function of rpm x torque.
Regardless, dyno testing (as most of know it) is one thing, transient dyno testing is another and measures torque & response across a wide range of varying revs and conditions, replicating gear shifts for example (or maybe making the shifts for real as I believe that the transaxle is attached for the Supercar transient dyno tests). Is not just a simple measurement of absolute torque, leading to the absolute measurement of power.

Quote:
Nah - far too early to know in that regard. Could be a processional race, could be anything but, that is the beauty of The Mountain, it can throw up anything and often does.
Old Today, 04:18 (Ref:4228902)   #733
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Regardless, dyno testing (as most of know it) is one thing, transient dyno testing is another and measures torque & response across a wide range of varying revs and conditions, replicating gear shifts for example (or maybe making the shifts for real as I believe that the transaxle is attached for the Supercar transient dyno tests). Is not just a simple measurement of absolute torque, leading to the absolute measurement of power.

Nah - far too early to know in that regard. Could be a processional race, could be anything but, that is the beauty of The Mountain, it can throw up anything and often does.
I'll be surprised if it's not processional.
Old Today, 06:45 (Ref:4228910)   #734
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
the last minute change a week or so before bathurst to throw a spanner in one sides preparation move?

Always welcome
Old Today, 06:55 (Ref:4228916)   #735
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Only takes a late safety car to spice it up. Last year was an anomaly based on years previous
Old Today, 09:23 (Ref:4228921)   #736
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Only takes a late safety car to spice it up. Last year was an anomaly based on years previous
Add Rain and makes a whole new ball game.
Old Today, 11:52 (Ref:4228933)   #737
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Is not just a simple measurement of absolute torque, leading to the absolute measurement of power.
But then you get people jumping on here telling us that one motor has more power than the other motor when absolute measurement is debatable at best. Headlines and news bites make for much merriment and misinformation. If they (SC) can't get two motors the same adding a third is going to be absolutely hilarious especially if it was to be a six cylinder turbo. Both Nissan and MB proved that to be the case. I will crawl back into my hole and watch with amusement as all the protagonists debate who is right and who is wrong.
Old Today, 12:08 (Ref:4228934)   #738
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Add Rain and makes a whole new ball game.
Agree with you both - plus of course other things that can come up such as kangaroos, strong winds, trees down, tarmac issues, shunts & recovery drives etc. etc.

Certainly could be different this year if they use the full course yellow methodology too.
Old Today, 12:10 (Ref:4228935)   #739
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
But then you get people jumping on here telling us that one motor has more power than the other motor when absolute measurement is debatable at best. Headlines and news bites make for much merriment and misinformation. If they (SC) can't get two motors the same adding a third is going to be absolutely hilarious especially if it was to be a six cylinder turbo. Both Nissan and MB proved that to be the case. I will crawl back into my hole and watch with amusement as all the protagonists debate who is right and who is wrong.
No-one has (yet) said that they can't get 2 motors the same - that's what the transient dyno testing is for and it has only just been completed. We'll see what comes out of that.
Old Today, 13:05 (Ref:4228943)   #740
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The difference is also sub 1%