Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old Yesterday, 12:26 (Ref:4230402)   #426
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
But how do you pronounce Bowie?

Thinks it rhymes with Zowie doesn’t it?
Old Yesterday, 13:01 (Ref:4230405)   #427
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But how do you pronounce Bowie?
The knife "Boo-ee", the singer "Bow-ee"

Richard
Old Yesterday, 13:13 (Ref:4230408)   #428
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post

Richard
The city in Maryland....
Old Yesterday, 13:22 (Ref:4230410)   #429
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The city in Maryland....
Not even going to guess.

Pronunciations of local geographies are all over the place. A city near where I grew up is named "Hurricane", but it is not pronounced the traditional way locally. Same for my current location which has an area named "Bahama" and you would think it's pronounced like the island country but it's not.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 14:06 (Ref:4230412)   #430
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s the same with how the Welsh pronounce names with Ce as a ‘K’ instead of an ‘S’, as is usually the case with words beginning with Ce, like ceiling or cellar. What next?
Old Yesterday, 14:13 (Ref:4230413)   #431
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you are remembering not when it "became" but the day you learned the "actual" vs. "local" pronunciation. I think a great example is here in the US with respect to how "Adidas" is pronounced. Most here are shocked when they hear the correct pronunciation
I have always pronounced it as Addy Dass. Named after the German founder of the company Adi (short for Adolf) Dassler.

I'm not sure how Germans would pronounce it. Not sure how you pronounce it in the USA.
Old Yesterday, 14:40 (Ref:4230417)   #432
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Richard
So, that brings me to an American pronunciation that always grates with me.... how on earth do you (Americans) get "boo-ee" out of a buoy? (in the harbour )

Last edited by E.B; Yesterday at 14:45.
Old Yesterday, 18:17 (Ref:4230449)   #433
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I have always pronounced it as Addy Dass. Named after the German founder of the company Adi (short for Adolf) Dassler.

I'm not sure how Germans would pronounce it. Not sure how you pronounce it in the USA.
I think many/most American's have no clue as to the origin story for Adidias as you mention. My understanding is that you have the correct pronunciation, but here in the US, I expect the average person would incorrectly pronounce it as... "A dee dis". The incorrect way is so culturally ingrained here that the correct way will feel very odd for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
So, that brings me to an American pronunciation that always grates with me.... how on earth do you (Americans) get "boo-ee" out of a buoy? (in the harbour )
I blame George Washington! I don't know how many globally might appreciate the US show "Saturday Night Live" or the comedian Nate Bargatze, but there are two skits they have done that make fun of "unique" American traits. Some have their roots as being a British colony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYqfVE-fykk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ62EfUKI3w

Richard
Old Yesterday, 19:27 (Ref:4230456)   #434
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m loving where this thread has gone. What we were talking about at the beginning lol?
Old Yesterday, 19:54 (Ref:4230458)   #435
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
D…A…V…I…D. What about Champs Élysées because its a baguette thread?
Old Yesterday, 22:55 (Ref:4230490)   #436
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I blame George Washington! I don't know how many globally might appreciate the US show "Saturday Night Live" or the comedian Nate Bargatze, but there are two skits they have done that make fun of "unique" American traits. Some have their roots as being a British colony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYqfVE-fykk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ62EfUKI3w

Richard
Richard, I think you might be amused by the irony of this little piece of randomness.....

I watched the first Washington 's Dream sketch you kindly linked, and thought it very funny, even brilliant, in every way.

I was chuckling, yet at the same time relieved at having learnt so much from a video clip of less than 5 minutes duration.

Eager for more of this knowledge and random learning, I clicked the second link and was very pleased to see it was called "Washington's Dream 2" and was from the same provider. I was to get more of what had already pleased me so much.

However, I was greeted by a black screen with the simple message.... Video unavailable.
The uploader has chosen to not make this video available in your country.

All I learnt with part 2 is life can be so unfair in its randomness sometimes: Yet that same message of denial made me laugh. It was so in context with the blend of confusion and ilogical random humour of the first video.

I in my mind it was like 'Washington' said, "No, we shall be even more ilogical.... I shall not share all my dreams for this country with those of your strange foreign land." rofl:

I looked arounf for more of 'Washington's dreams." I found this, which includes
"A buffalo wing shall be made of chicken", and other foodie stuff.
https://www.tiktok.com/@nbcsnl/video...34120762363178

Perhaps, given the total off topic nature of these recent posts, yet the ongoing apparent group wish to continue the irreverence, maybe a mod might want to tranfer the off topic posts to another thread in Parc Ferme..... maybe the "No Suitable Thread" thread. Just a thought.
Old Today, 00:00 (Ref:4230495)   #437
Richard C
Veteran

United States
That's too bad you can't see both. They are both pretty good. I think the first is a bit better.

Sorry for the continued derailment. Here is the text from the skit. The humor may not translate without the performance. But like the first skit, George Washing delivers all lines with a straight face and serious demeanor.

(Scene is of four of Washington’s soldiers, on a boat, crossing the Delaware river, before battle with the British)

Soldier 3: I wonder how many British troops await us on the other shore.
Soldier 2: Must be thousands.
Soldier 4: Is there any chance we will win this war?
(George Washington enters frame)
George Washington: Of course.
Soldier 1: General Washington, we apologize.
GW: No need. I am fearful as well. But we will live through the battle ahead. Because we fight to control our own destiny,
All Soldiers: Hear, hear!
GW: to create our own nation.
AS: Well said, general.
GW: And to do our own thing with the English language.
S3: Our own thing, sir?
GW: Yes. I dream that one day our great nation will have a word for the number 12. We shall call it a dozen.
S4: And what other numbers will we have a word for?
GW: None. Only 12 shall have its own word, because we are freemen, and we will be free to spell some words two different ways.
S3: Which word? Sir.
GW: Donut (Doughnut). And the name? Jeff.
S1: What are the two ways to spell Jeff, sir?
GW: The short way with the J and the stupid way with the G. And this is what we fight, men to extend these liberties to all Americans.
S3: Including men of color like myself?
GW: (Ignores his question) Well, we will also have. Two names for animals. One, when they are alive and a different one when they become food. So cows will be beef. Pigs will be pork.
S4: And chickens, sir.?
GW: That one stays. Chickens are chicken. And we will create our own foods and name them what we want. Like the hamburger.
S3: Made of ham, sir?
GW: (laughes) If it only were that simple. A hamburger is made of beef, just as a buffalo wing is made of chicken. But fear not, men. A hot dog will not be made of dogs.
S4: What is it made of, sir?
GW: Nobody knows.
S1: But, sir, shouldn't we know what's in a hot dog?
GW: (walks over to Soldier one and points to him) Get out!
S1: (looks confused) I'm sorry?
GW: Get out of the boat!
S1: Just go over the side?
GW: Yes! Go! go, go!
S1: (jumps out of boat to his death)
GW: A real American would never want to know what's in a hot dog, just as they will never know why our money is called the dollar.
S2: The dollar, sir.
GW: Yeah, and if you think I'm worthy, put my portrait on the front of it.
S2: And what shall be on the back, sir?
GW: Everything. All of it. Crazy stuff. Squiggles. Latin words. Pyramid with a floating eye on top.
S3: General, I confess I'm very confused. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to much of this.
GW: Do not worry, soldier. For our great nation, we will create schools that teach our children our ways. The first year of school will be called kindergarten.
S4: And what will the second year be called?
GW: First grade. There will be 12 grades in all.
S3: So a dozen grades.
GW: That's… No. We don't use it that way. But the children, the children would not have to go to school every day. We will have our own holidays, 4th of July, Flag Day and Presidents Day.
S3: And what shall we do to honor our leaders on Presidents Day, sir?
GW: Buy a mattress. Of course.

(Explanation of joke… It seems common that stores that sell mattresses always have a “President’s day sale”. Why? Who knows!)

GW: These are my dreams for our nation. Men we fight this war to free the English language and free the American people. All the American people
S2: (who is black looks hopefully at Washington): Sir. Do you mean the slaves will be freed after this war?
GW: After “a” war
S2: (looking pleadingly at Washington) A war? But is… this war right? (Washington walks away without answering) Is… this war right. Where you go?

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; Today at 00:05.
Old Today, 01:48 (Ref:4230499)   #438
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Old Today, 04:30 (Ref:4230508)   #439
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!

About humor… Thanks to you, E.B, its the first time I bother to read a post from Richard C. Well, "a post" let's say a mega waffle with lots of dozens of lines trying to justify obscure ideas. It seems its the first time he's writing something making sense and able to interest people. Actually… F, the last waffle is really worth and funny. Very clever too. I recommend.
Old Today, 08:34 (Ref:4230529)   #440
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I’m loving where this thread has gone. What we were talking about at the beginning lol?

I can't remember where we started but just wondered if anyone has noticed that in English (English english that is) there are nine different ways to pronounce "ough" which means that when someone who has never heard of it arrives at Loughbrough, just round the corner from me they have 81 possibilities to go at.
Old Today, 09:43 (Ref:4230533)   #441
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Saying all of this I am glad the team are called Alpine rather than some of the other crass efforts at least it is a thing!

My favourite (Yanks take note of the u there) very British word is yacht. An utterly ridiculous group of words than have no real way of working, cant imagine trying to work that out if you are not British!

And then you have the French who decide to make words have a gender, I mean how very French.
Old Today, 10:02 (Ref:4230534)   #442
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
And then you have the French who decide to make words have a gender, I mean how very French.

I don't know if that was supposed to be an amusing dig at the French, but they are far from the only language whose nouns have genders, as most languages derived from Latin also do the same, such as Spain, Italy Portugal, etc. And I don't think that this is even that simple.
Old Today, 11:31 (Ref:4230536)   #443
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't know if that was supposed to be an amusing dig at the French, but they are far from the only language whose nouns have genders, as most languages derived from Latin also do the same, such as Spain, Italy Portugal, etc. And I don't think that this is even that simple.

Latin had masculine, feminine and neuter.
Old Today, 11:40 (Ref:4230537)   #444
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
it seems its the first time he's writing something making sense and able to interest people.
Ouch! Sorry Gerard. No need for you to lauch a personal attack.

Richard
Old Today, 15:06 (Ref:4230551)   #445
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
C'est de l'humour Ricard. Peut être du mauvais humour mais pas de la mauvaise humeur! About french accent, we had to invent Airbus because we got into some troubles sayin' Fokker…