Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2024, 22:10 (Ref:4203061)   #501
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I wasn't sure. I knew the F1 rules did change some time ago but couldn't remember which way round.
I did a bit of a dive into red flagged F1 races last night after this discussion, there haven't been many examples in history that have had these specific set of circumstances, where a race is red flagged, not resumed and a driver that has DNFed is classified still. These are just the handful since 1990. Only once (03) has this resulted in a car that has DNFed classified in the points.

Nothing in the past 10yrs though, so the rules may have changed. The closest we came to knowing was Australia last year, but that was "restarted" and the Alpines were both out.

1990 Portugal - Caffi, Suzuki (accident) classified 13th and 14th
1991 Adelaide - Gugelmin (spun off) classified 14th.
1997 Canada - Panis (accident) classified 11th
2003 Brazil - Webber, Alonso (accident) classified 9th and 3rd
2009 Malaysia - Vettel, Buemi, Fisichella (spun off) - classified 15th, 16th, 18th
2014 Japan - Bianchi (accident) classified 20th
Old 28 Mar 2024, 06:00 (Ref:4203088)   #502
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I did a bit of a dive into red flagged F1 races last night after this discussion, there haven't been many examples in history that have had these specific set of circumstances, where a race is red flagged, not resumed and a driver that has DNFed is classified still. These are just the handful since 1990. Only once (03) has this resulted in a car that has DNFed classified in the points.

Nothing in the past 10yrs though, so the rules may have changed. The closest we came to knowing was Australia last year, but that was "restarted" and the Alpines were both out.

1990 Portugal - Caffi, Suzuki (accident) classified 13th and 14th
1991 Adelaide - Gugelmin (spun off) classified 14th.
1997 Canada - Panis (accident) classified 11th
2003 Brazil - Webber, Alonso (accident) classified 9th and 3rd
2009 Malaysia - Vettel, Buemi, Fisichella (spun off) - classified 15th, 16th, 18th
2014 Japan - Bianchi (accident) classified 20th
Let's not forget the 1996 Monaco GP when there were more non finishers classified than actual finishers!
Old 28 Mar 2024, 06:15 (Ref:4203092)   #503
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nothing in the past 10yrs though, so the rules may have changed.
Although worth noting that only one race in the last 10 years has been red-flagged and not restarted.
Old 30 Mar 2024, 02:44 (Ref:4203366)   #504
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let's not forget the 1996 Monaco GP when there were more non finishers classified than actual finishers!

I don't believe that was red flagged, was it?
Old 30 Mar 2024, 08:36 (Ref:4203384)   #505
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't believe that was red flagged, was it?

IIRC the two-hour time limit came into effect, due to the rain.
Old 30 Mar 2024, 09:34 (Ref:4203386)   #506
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IIRC the two-hour time limit came into effect, due to the rain.

Yes that’s correct. And what a race it was. One of my favourites of all time
Old 8 May 2024, 21:40 (Ref:4207865)   #507
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
The inaugural FIA CEO has pulled the pin, only 18 months after starting the job. The release talks about restructure work that's been done but with an organisation the size of the FIA, 18 months wouldn't give enough time to get a full restructure done and there would still be plenty to do.

Wonder if it is really a case of her wanting to get back to her roots in the mainstream automotive industry or if there is unhappinesss at the FIA and this is simply the latest in the list of senior figures getting out because they've had enough?
Old 8 May 2024, 22:30 (Ref:4207868)   #508
S griffin
Veteran

It could be coincidental the timing of her departure, but either way, it’s not what the FIA needs. It needs stability right now
Old 13 May 2024, 13:20 (Ref:4208796)   #509
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it's probably also a position that many would consider as a short term position, anything good you do is quiet or unnoticed by design and ANYTHING bad in the FIA falls at your feet. And guessing the piles of cash not being at the FIA are much greater
Old 6 Jun 2024, 20:05 (Ref:4212063)   #510
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Information on whistle-blower leaked?
Explains the resignation of the CEO and also the move back to FOM of Steve Neilsen on the face of it.

What a mess of conflicting leaks and interests! Even though the allegations of interference by El Presidente were dismissed, I have to say that IF they in fact came from Neilsen (highly respected) then they suddenly have a lot more credence to them.
Old 6 Jun 2024, 20:19 (Ref:4212067)   #511
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like a dysfunctional and toxic environment.

Richard
Old 7 Jun 2024, 08:43 (Ref:4212133)   #512
S griffin
Veteran

Too many signs of unrest atm. Hopefully it won't get out of hand.
Old Yesterday, 14:35 (Ref:4227453)   #513
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for most this wont be anything to worry about, just another poor wording choice by MBS, ironically enough during his own comments about word choice...for me tho, getting more and more difficult to pass this off as a lost in translation moment.

“I mean, we have to differentiate between our sport – motorsport – and rap music,” Ben Sulayem said.

“We're not rappers, you know. They say the F-word how many times per minute? We are not on that. That's them and we are [us].”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...rage/10655485/

sad that it always has to be LH who has to respond but there we are:

Hamilton fine with principle of 'cleaning up' language in F1 coverage but on Ben Sulayem's remarks: "I don't like how he's expressed it, saying 'rappers' is very stereotypical. And most rappers are black. That was the wrong choice of words. There's a racial element there."

https://x.com/SMitchellF1/status/1836758964354044402

putting aside the negative connotations in MBS' phrasing, does this guy ever talk about the actual racing? he seems always more focused on the culture wars of it all! shame really!

anyways...

Old Yesterday, 19:38 (Ref:4227472)   #514
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
for most this wont be anything to worry about, just another poor wording choice by MBS, ironically enough during his own comments about word choice...for me tho, getting more and more difficult to pass this off as a lost in translation moment.

“I mean, we have to differentiate between our sport – motorsport – and rap music,” Ben Sulayem said.

“We're not rappers, you know. They say the F-word how many times per minute? We are not on that. That's them and we are [us].”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...rage/10655485/

sad that it always has to be LH who has to respond but there we are:

Hamilton fine with principle of 'cleaning up' language in F1 coverage but on Ben Sulayem's remarks: "I don't like how he's expressed it, saying 'rappers' is very stereotypical. And most rappers are black. That was the wrong choice of words. There's a racial element there."

https://x.com/SMitchellF1/status/1836758964354044402

putting aside the negative connotations in MBS' phrasing, does this guy ever talk about the actual racing? he seems always more focused on the culture wars of it all! shame really!

anyways...

So LH playing the race card? Fact Most Rappers are Black , Most Rappers swear their way through their “songs” although last time I looked Eminem was white and swore a lot. Methinks LH overplayed his hand here in his ongoing gripe with MBS ….
Old Yesterday, 21:15 (Ref:4227478)   #515
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
That is what I wonder about. I would think that FIA needs to worry about the sporting side and FOM the commercial side. And much of what that article calls out might be on the commercial side. However the FIA does dip it's toe into this area. For example the FIA International Sporting Code has section 12.2 which lists a bunch of things you shouldn't do. It's not quite trying to list out "moral behaviour", but in some ways it does lean in that direction. Here are a few interesting ones. Note. I don't think anything actually uses (that I could find) the oft quoted "bring sport into disrepute" rule that is tossed around...

Quote:
12.2.1.c Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any Competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.
Quote:
12.2.1.f Any words, deeds or writings that have caused moral injury or loss to the FIA, its bodies, its members or its executive officers, and more generally on the interest of motor sport and on the values defended by the FIA.
Quote:
12.2.1.k Any Misconduct
Quote:
12.2.1.m Any public incitement to violence or hatred.
But in general, it seems like MBS is a bit out of his lane. And also having issues that are probably easily labelled as cultural issues. Be it geographic, religious and/or age related. Lastly, some of his anti-free speech comments are scary. I mean, when your on the clock, then sure, do as your employer expects. But I think it's unfair to expect people to not be able to voice their opinion on their own time. Him looking to revisit/rewrite the FIA rules is clearly him looking to impose his own values IMHO.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 22:09 (Ref:4227482)   #516
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
To be honest I don't see much of a story here?

The President doesn't need to be coming out with irrelevant stuff like this and Hamilton is trying to get himself in the headlines after a fairly average season since Silverstone by responding when he doesn't need to.

Yawn.

Next....
Old Yesterday, 22:15 (Ref:4227483)   #517
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So LH playing the race card? Fact Most Rappers are Black , Most Rappers swear their way through their “songs” although last time I looked Eminem was white and swore a lot. Methinks LH overplayed his hand here in his ongoing gripe with MBS ….
Yeah, I'd agree with you. MBS was clumsy in his wording (as he so often is - but I guess that English is his second language) but Lewis is just as clumsy and probably more inappropriate in suggesting a racial element. Lewis is clearly an elite sportsperson, quite why he feels the need to be seen as a victim so often is beyond me.

Weird one from the FIA - quite why MBS felt the need to go public with this is strange when (according to him) the FIA has already spoken to FOM about reducing the "swear" radio chat in the broadcast. It used to come up about once a year here in Oz (assume it still does) and the broadcaster would attend a Supercars drivers briefing and ask them to moderate language on the radio. The drivers would always say that a) they didn't know when their radio was being broadcast & b) if the broadcaster didn't like it, stop broadcasting it. That would be the end of the discussion - no need for blathering on in public about it and achieving nothing.

Like it or not, people swear a lot more these days than they used to, certainly plenty of it in professional motor sport and if it all stopped tomorrow, it would somehow not feel "real" any more to me.

Anyway, I'm going to go and relax with a nice cup of tea to feel better - might even treat myself to a bottle of fizzy pop and Mrs. Cholmondeley-Warner's scrumptious tea cake.