Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Aug 2024, 17:56 (Ref:4222485)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Spa 6 Hour 2024

No racing this weekend so catching up on reports.Thought we should get the Spa 6 Hour thread up and running. Myself and MG David will compete for the last time in Gilbert.Its all getting too professional and expensive but we will enjoy our run at Spa. Might look at doing 3 hour or some other endurance races.
Anyway as an aside we did both go to Copenhagen last weekend. David pictured ended up P2 in Class in the Lenham and I as well got P2 in the FJ race.
I was lucky enough to get a last minuet call to drive a Lotus 22 which was great fun.
Best story was me sleeping in Davids new Clam trailer. Thursday night was noisy so Friday evening I closed the trailer just enough to let some air in. About 1 am gust of wind blew up and shut the trailer . 5.30 am and I was thinking Mr and Mrs MG will not appreciate me ringing them to let me out at this hour in the morning. Managed to find a very thin spanner in Davids junk box and slid through and opened up the catch.
So here is my team mate in race mode at the start of the last race.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MG Dave Copenhagen 2024.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	81286
Old 11 Aug 2024, 18:04 (Ref:4222488)   #2
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Well done, congratulations to both of you.
Old 11 Aug 2024, 19:45 (Ref:4222496)   #3
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought you had been very quiet!
Old 12 Aug 2024, 11:25 (Ref:4222533)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good story and well done both. Agreed the 6hrs is becoming too "professional" now.
Old 12 Aug 2024, 15:36 (Ref:4222556)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, Iain and his stories!
Old 12 Aug 2024, 21:55 (Ref:4222583)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Great weekend in Copenhagen and all the better for having Iain's company. The eagle-eyed will have spotted that my eyes are closed in that pic. Now, was I running through the circuit in my mind's eye, or just nodding off waiting for the previous race to finish? You be the judge.
Here's a better pic altogether
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHGP2024.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	839.3 KB
ID:	81289

edit - oh FGS, can a clever person stand us up please !

Last edited by MGDavid; 12 Aug 2024 at 22:17.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 06:41 (Ref:4222596)   #7
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Great weekend in Copenhagen and all the better for having Iain's company. The eagle-eyed will have spotted that my eyes are closed in that pic. Now, was I running through the circuit in my mind's eye, or just nodding off waiting for the previous race to finish? You be the judge.
Here's a better pic altogether
Attachment 81289

edit - oh FGS, can a clever person stand us up please !
Landscape:
Attached Thumbnails
CHGP2024.jpeg  
Old 13 Sep 2024, 10:27 (Ref:4226337)   #8
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those travelling to and from Spa 6 Hour or elsewhere for that matter.
There will be major roadworks on the E40 between Veurne and Oostduikerke.

From the 20th until at least the 28th the outgoing side of the motorway will be completey shut and traffic will be using the inward side, single lane both ways. So expect a lot of traffic problems from the French border to, half way up to Ostend and the other way.
Old 13 Sep 2024, 19:33 (Ref:4226403)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for heads up Eddie . I will go E42 .?
Old 15 Sep 2024, 08:14 (Ref:4226949)   #10
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thanks for heads up Eddie . I will go E42 .?
The E42 also has quite a few sections of roadworks, the biggest being just after the Border FRance/Belg. east of Lille !

We passed there @ 9pm Thurs without any big delay, but during normal hours it could be a big hold up as 3 lanes reduce down to 1.

Good luck with your journey, lain & l will see you at Spa.
MartinH
Old 15 Sep 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4226968)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not an easy option this one Iain, normally the 42 yes, but as above mentioned, roadworks as well.
Depending what you're driving, you could go via Poperinge, Ypres and on the E17 at Kortrijk and to Gent.
Exit 13 Steenquerke on the A25 / E42. Problems at Tournai as well on the E42.
Old 15 Sep 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4226996)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Many thanks for the heads up
Old 15 Sep 2024, 16:43 (Ref:4227023)   #13
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
Not an easy option this one Iain, normally the 42 yes, but as above mentioned, roadworks as well.
Depending what you're driving, you could go via Poperinge, Ypres and on the E17 at Kortrijk and to Gent.
Exit 13 Steenquerke on the A25 / E42. Problems at Tournai as well on the E42.
I sometimes use this route suggested by Eddy …. It’s a bit slower, but at least you keep moving & can always stop at Ypres for a quick beer & frites, or kwassants if travelling in the morning
Old 15 Sep 2024, 19:20 (Ref:4227083)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
For those travelling to and from Spa 6 Hour or elsewhere for that matter.
There will be major roadworks on the E40 between Veurne and Oostduikerke.

From the 20th until at least the 28th the outgoing side of the motorway will be completey shut and traffic will be using the inward side, single lane both ways. So expect a lot of traffic problems from the French border to, half way up to Ostend and the other way.
Should we expect it to be fairly clear and OK at 11.30 at night?
Old 15 Sep 2024, 21:44 (Ref:4227112)   #15
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
E42 down to Lille avoids the works Eddy is talking about & the rest of the roadworks west-of Lille should be quiet at that time of the evening.

Bon voyage.
Old 16 Sep 2024, 17:50 (Ref:4227209)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
A little piece of lexique, just in case: when you say Lille some road signs may show RIJSEL.
@ Martin: pistolets… Bon voyage and good race all!
Old 16 Sep 2024, 22:24 (Ref:4227231)   #17
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
A little piece of lexique, just in case: when you say Lille some road signs may show RIJSEL.
@ Martin: pistolets… Bon voyage and good race all!
Oh yes & a good few others as well : Luttich, Gand, Amel etc.

Pre sat-nav journeys around Belgium were always a challenge with names changing from french to flemish & back again, not to mention the ‘ost kanton’ german speaking area just south of Spa, where the locals will still climb up the 5m high motorway sign supports to paint over the french names with thick grey paint !!

The only more confusing place is Luxembourg ! How you get Fels from Larochette or Nidderkäerjéng from Bascherage l will never understand !

Now back on theme - good journey to all attending the 6hr meeting at Spa !
Old 17 Sep 2024, 01:46 (Ref:4227250)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
E42 down to Lille avoids the works Eddy is talking about & the rest of the roadworks west-of Lille should be quiet at that time of the evening.

Bon voyage.
Thanks, but should have said we usually overnight at Drongen along with the Polish vans. Good shop too with a better range of deli than I can get here!
Old 17 Sep 2024, 11:49 (Ref:4227276)   #19
ridaow
Rookie

ridaow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa

Safe journey David. I'm taking the Galaxie over during the day on Tuesday - along the E42 and braving all the roadworks cited above.
Old 17 Sep 2024, 13:09 (Ref:4227282)   #20
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A few years ago I was doing a lot of driving around Europe .One thing that was strange was late on Friday evenings in France there would often be very large amounts of traffic , often through past midnight .
Possibly more in the southern half of France when people would finish work on Friday , then head off later for " La Weekend ".
Old 17 Sep 2024, 16:14 (Ref:4227290)   #21
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
A few years ago I was doing a lot of driving around Europe .One thing that was strange was late on Friday evenings in France there would often be very large amounts of traffic , often through past midnight .
Possibly more in the southern half of France when people would finish work on Friday , then head off later for " La Weekend ".
Another strange one . In Belgium there used to be a restriction on HGVs over the weekends .
I was doing a rally in East Belgium , near the Spa area .
Finished the event Sunday evening , went to presentation , loaded up and set off for home .
Didn,t notice the time , but it must have been midnight . Got on the E40 , [ I think], building up speed with van, trailer , rally car and all , when the mirrors were full of lights ..
Loads of trucks , must have been waiting at German border , at midnight set off and foot down .
Quite amazing to be passed by dozens of trucks , all going a lot quicker than I could manage with van and trailer .