Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old Today, 16:03 (Ref:4231878)   #76
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
In answer to your first question, the Autosport article quotes Stella, saying that they deliberately didn't tell Norris to give the place back because he believed that it wouldn't have been referred to the Stewards because of anything that Norris did. So when they were advised that the Stewards were investigating, they assumed that it was Verstappen's move that was the subject of the investigation.
do we then take that as an admission that the Mclaren pitwall read the situation incorrectly?
Old Today, 16:05 (Ref:4231879)   #77
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Here it is again at 0.44 sec. with Croft at full throttle.

https://youtu.be/i6TyRf8d7hM?si=SrfE94uexTluDeY0
looks like they both went in super hot...actually quite remarkable that they both went through there with neither locking up!
Old Today, 16:14 (Ref:4231880)   #78
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thanks Mike

do we then take that as an admission that the Mclaren pitwall read the situation incorrectly?

It turns out that they did, but only because they took a common sense view of the matter. I would have taken the same view as well; in fact, in my few years of racing, one driver did a similar thing on me, and the driver concerned had his licence endorsed for the move. He actually wrote his car, borrowed from a friend, later on on the same lap by running into the back of some back-markers, so he was penalised by the Clerk of the Course giving him a ban - and it was his first race as well.
Old Today, 16:25 (Ref:4231882)   #79
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Except that they DID take it into account (it's there in the decision document that I linked above). They only applied a 5 sec penalty to Lando, rather than the usual 10 sec penalty for overtaking outside the track limits.

If Lando had eased back in behind Max as they rejoined the track, there'd have been no penalty at all.
I think this is the key point. Under the current interpretation of the rules, Norris' pass off track supercedes any action by Max because Max got to the apex first. Rightly or wrongly, Norris broke the current rules in a larger and more obvious way.
Old Today, 16:28 (Ref:4231883)   #80
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
looks like they both went in super hot...actually quite remarkable that they both went through there with neither locking up!
Exactly my point. I don't think Norris was making the corner. He was going off anyway and decided to blast the throtte when off track to get ahead.
Old Today, 17:29 (Ref:4231891)   #81
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
........ he was on the outside and it was the responsibility of Verstappen to leave him sufficient room to negotiate the corner in a safe manner.
Sorry, Mike, but for once I have to disagree. I don't agree that in the situation that occurred (i.e. racing for position) there is any 'responsibility' by a driver to leave enough room for another driver whoever they may be.

I agree with Chilli in post 72.
Old Today, 17:35 (Ref:4231892)   #82
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Sorry, Mike, but for once I have to disagree. I don't agree that in the situation that occurred (i.e. racing for position) there is any 'responsibility' by a driver to leave enough room for another driver whoever they may be.

I agree with Chilli in post 72.

But it's in the rules, Peter; when passing or being passed, a driver has to leave a cars width, and you cannot just "push" another driver off the circuit. The Stewards are just not interpreting it that way. And why Stella felt that his pitwall team didn't need to instruct Norris to hand the place back.
Old Today, 17:38 (Ref:4231893)   #83
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes, I read the Stewards' adjudication prior to posting about this; they take into consideration that Verstappen also exceeded track limits, bit they have ignored the fact that the only reason that he did was because he intentionally braked too late in order push Norris off the track. He didn't exceed track limits due to anything that Norris had done.

And I think that Autosport appears to agree; that the rule was never altered to allow drivers such as Verstappen to use it to defend their position. See: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wh...peat/10665281/
Look, I know what you mean but intent is virtually unprovable (although the stewards do have access to live telemetry, according to Brundle on the telecast, so maybe what they saw there had an impact)

TBH I wouldn't hold much reliance on that Autosport article - poorly thought-through, factually incorrect, from a regular Max disliker and the comments on the article sum it up - 90 odd comments, the vast majority bagging the "journalist" for a really poor piece of work.

Quote:
why Mclaren didnt tell him to give the spot back and try again. race was drawing to an end sure but he still would have had chances?
Logically, would have been the thing to do but the McLaren pit wall apparently believed that they were in the right - I guess that's another lesson learned the hard way. Interesting that when Horner was asked about it after the race, he pointed out that Max had been penalised for overtaking off track in a previous year and since then, RBR has taken the approach of giving the place back, which I seem to recall happening a couple of times but for the life of me, can't recall where just now.

Quote:
And as I don't believe the telemetry of either cars at that point have been published or discussed by the Stewards, do we even know that Norris braked too late to manage to negotiate the corner without exceeding track limits?
Brundle said in the commentary that the stewards have live telemetry to work with, throttle, brake traces etc. I reckon that would be right as the FIA "bunker" has that for all cars on a live basis. Don't know whether the stewards actually used it in this case or not but if they did, then it only strengthens the case for them making the right call in accordance with the rules as they stand.
Old Today, 17:45 (Ref:4231894)   #84
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
But it's in the rules, Peter; when passing or being passed, a driver has to leave a cars width, and you cannot just "push" another driver off the circuit. The Stewards are just not interpreting it that way. And why Stella felt that his pitwall team didn't need to instruct Norris to hand the place back.
I'm not stalking you - honest. The relevant section of the driving rules was quoted earlier in the thread - the leaving one car's width applies to the car overtaking - not to the car defending or being overtaken. To me, that's at the core of this whole thing - Max does appear to be gaming the system somewhat, but the rules allow him to do that and he's using them to his advantage (as you'd expect). That isn't his fault though, it's the rules themselves.
Old Today, 19:09 (Ref:4231905)   #85
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Interesting that when Horner was asked about it after the race, he pointed out that Max had been penalised for overtaking off track in a previous year and since then, RBR has taken the approach of giving the place back, which I seem to recall happening a couple of times but for the life of me, can't recall where just now.
at COTA 2017 where Max took a penalty for passing Kimi on the last lap while going off track?

coincidently enough, Garry Connolly who, as well as yesterday i believe, was one of the COTA stewards back in 2017:

Connelly made it clear that he has no regrets about the call made that day.

"I think that's something that always sticks with me, that was a probably one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to take with my colleagues.

"But I still believe we did the right thing, we took the right decision.

"And I'm pretty sure if you speak to Max Verstappen today, he'll agree that in retrospect, it was the right decision."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ve...67601/5367601/

surprised i found that so quickly as i find looking up old articles on google to be a complete pain these days...

anywho, maybe still an apples and oranges comparison, but i suppose there is consistency here over the years despite there perhaps not being much of it over the course of this weekend!
Old Today, 19:18 (Ref:4231906)   #86
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For comparison, here is the Verstappen/Raikkonen incident at COTA in 2017.

https://youtu.be/2rr1j7Z0ZTM?si=sKmIDdrSiknChPwy
Old Today, 19:22 (Ref:4231907)   #87
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Logically, would have been the thing to do but the McLaren pit wall apparently believed that they were in the right - I guess that's another lesson learned the hard way.
add that to a ever increasing list of hard lessons vis a vis their less than fully committed attempt at the drivers title this season?

will have to rewatch the last 5 laps, but did Lando have a chance to make up that 5s penalty gap?

even if Mclaren didnt think the problem was on their side (which we infer from them not telling Lando to give the spot back) then surely you still hedge your bets by telling your driver to push, to build up the gap in case a ruling goes the other way? moreso when you have both a speed and tire advantage in those closing laps?

im definitely being hyper critical of Mclaren here but they are my team!
Old Today, 20:14 (Ref:4231914)   #88
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
at COTA 2017 where Max took a penalty for passing Kimi on the last lap while going off track?

anywho, maybe still an apples and oranges comparison, but i suppose there is consistency here over the years despite there perhaps not being much of it over the course of this weekend!
That's probably the one - I wouldn't expect consistency between now and 2017, because the racing rules have changed since then, with wholesale change at the start of 2022.

I was more referring to RBR's approach since that incident being one of giving the position back on track and then having another go - according to Horner's interview after Sunday's race.
Old Today, 20:41 (Ref:4231919)   #89
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
will have to rewatch the last 5 laps, but did Lando have a chance to make up that 5s penalty gap?(
Depends upon the target outcome. He was faster than Max as he chased him down. He pulled away from Max after the pass. Now how much of that was true pace or did Max assume he was going to get a penalty and didn't push Lando. Who knows. I guess someone can look at their relative pace before and after the pass to answer that question.

In the end, I think Lando was 3-4 seconds ahead of Max at the end of the race. He clearly was trying to pull out a 5 second gap, but he was short, so not enough to outweigh the penalty. I think someone posted that McLaren asked Oscar to not push so as to protect Lando in that the penalty would just put him back behind Max and in front of Oscar (which it did).

Oddly enough, assuming he would have gotten the same 5 second penalty, if that situation had played out much earlier (vs a few laps of attempts), Lando might have had the time to pull out more than five seconds and make the offense worth the penalty!

I "think" someone in the race received a penalty for something, but was able to make it work because what they gained on track outweighed the time penalty. I can't remember who that was? I could be wrong.

Richard