Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old Today, 21:41 (Ref:4232101)   #126
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Norris may have gone in hot, but how do we, sitting behind keyboards, know that he couldn't have actually made the corner. Or, maybe he guessed, correctly as it turned out, that Verstappen would also overcook it and not be able to make the corner, i.e. exceed track limits on the exit.

He may have also known the driving standards protocol that should have meant that he didn't gain an unfair advantage because Verstappen would, like him, exceed the track limits. Which is what the McLaren pitwall team believed.

But then the Stewards decided to interpret the protocol in a way that it wasn't written to mean.
Mostly supposition on our part of course, agree completely - and heat of the moment in competition for a place could lead with or both drivers to do pretty much anything.

One point though - the McLaren pit wall's big mistake, based on what radio we heard, was believing that Lando had been in front at the apex, which he wasn't. I suspect if they'd got that right, then they may have recommended another course of action (ie. give back the place) to their driver.
Old Today, 22:38 (Ref:4232104)   #127
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i dont want to keep on repeating myself and sorry for making you repeat yourself, but IMO Lando went into that corner hot and to me that doesn't entitle him to space or that corner....i suppose this view point is making all other considerations/larger concern points moot to me on this?

so for sure im getting the sense that i am very much in the wrong here...might be time to add a poll to let everyone vote on just how far off the plot i am on this one?
Haha. I think you are wrong. That is my vote.

Seriously from reading your posts, I feel there is a theme that somehow the defending driver is expected to give up something to the overtaking driver and that seems to be unfair. I don't think anyone is saying the defending driver should "aid" in allowing a pass. Or if that at some specific point at the apex it's a "done deal" and the defending driver has to surrender. I don't think that is the focus of the discussion.

I think what most are saying is that there are specific responsibilities for BOTH parties. And that Max is exploiting an issue in which he has reduced his responsibility in a specific way that most feel previously existed. And that the current Steward guidelines are at the root of the problem. That a specific scenario exists that creates what seems contrary to what most consider fair racing in a corner.

More specifically to the passing attempt in question. We might say Lando was coming in too hot, or maybe he wasn't. Short of looking at data, we may not know. But one thing we do know for sure, he couldn't turn left as Max was always there... all the way until after they had left the circuit. And that type of defense just doesn't seem right to most observers.

Speaking of looking at the data... I read an article this morning that I think was on PlanetF1.com (can't find it now) that did show throttle and braking data (which is only part of the picture). But they had an argument that flipped the story around. That saying Lando was the defending driver as he was already ahead as they entered the corner. This put Max as an overtaking driver trying to pass on the inside. I can't remember the conclusion (I don't think it was kind to Max), but it was an interesting perspective.

(Edit: found it... https://www.planetf1.com/features/ve...y-fia-decision )

I am sort of done with this topic at this point. I "do" hope that this is just not one weekend of aggravation and that either the new driver conduct rules they are looking to implement in 2025 cover the scenario we have been talking about, or if not, they consider opening up that draft and consider additional revisions.

I also think it would be helpful if they had a set of permanent stewards. I think when you have an important job and it has a rotation of people doing it, you inherently both lose some level of consistency (even if you have well documented guidelines) as well as uniformity of experience and feedback as to what works and what doesn't work.

Richard