Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old Yesterday, 15:07 (Ref:4217357)   #26
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Not really saying I’m against gravel or for prioritizing commercial/entertainment concerns…it’s more of an issue with handing out f1 equivalents of red cards for relatively minor mistakes I do think there is a sporting argument to be made against overly penalizing track limits….in this case particularly when hard racing is going on.

Dont know what the answer is, but I certainly dont think it’s as clear cut as others.

Surely this is now different to saying that drivers on public roads should be penalised for driving on side-walks (pavements in the UK). We have raised curbs that mark the limits of the roadway in the same way that racing tracks have designated markings that mark the extremes of the racing area. If drivers go over those places, then they should expect a penalty; likewise, if they force another driver to exceed those areas, then they should also expect to receive a penalty.
Old Yesterday, 15:16 (Ref:4217361)   #27
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Problematic to compare things to the rules of public roads and also I’m not against penalties.

Just saying that gravel and track limits can at times create extreme or disproportionate penalties. Agree to disagree but there is not a one stop solution to every scenario imo and that sporting values do need to be balanced with entertainment.
Old Yesterday, 18:50 (Ref:4217395)   #28
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What this weekends events have shown is that for the most part having gravel there is a deterrent and that the cars stayed mostly on course.
My issue is that a track is defined as between the white lines, so why does the gravel have to be a full cars width away from the outer edge of the white line.

Put it less than a cars width away, make the kerbs less than a cars width. Force them to keep 2 wheels well within limits rather than counting millimetres to see if a cars inside tyres stayed on the line.
Old Yesterday, 19:11 (Ref:4217396)   #29
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Put it less than a cars width away, make the kerbs less than a cars width. Force them to keep 2 wheels well within limits rather than counting millimetres to see if a cars inside tyres stayed on the line.
How are you planning to define, and then police, "well within limits?"
Old Yesterday, 19:16 (Ref:4217398)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I initially thought that well within was a problem here, but then I re-read as I assumed I’d probably not taken the time to understand what was being meant.

ScotsBrutesFan is saying that if the kerbs are narrow then the (inner) 2 wheels would be well within those limits. Hence no need for police, or define. The driver will be choosing not to go any further because it would be bad for them. He can confirm if I’ve read that right.
Old Yesterday, 19:27 (Ref:4217400)   #31
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
So, they could be within legal track limits and in the gravel at the same time? That’s really not going to work!
Old Yesterday, 19:28 (Ref:4217401)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old Yesterday, 19:48 (Ref:4217402)   #33
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

ScotsBrutesFan is saying that if the kerbs are narrow then the (inner) 2 wheels would be well within those limits. Hence no need for police, or define. The driver will be choosing not to go any further because it would be bad for them. He can confirm if I’ve read that right.
Correct Adam

If the driver want's to push to the very edge of the track remember as I said in my first post the track is defined as WITHIN the white lines. If a driver wants to run on the white lines with their inside tyres then the outer tyres will be on the gravel.
Old Yesterday, 19:53 (Ref:4217404)   #34
peebee2
Veteran

I understand the good motives but that would be total mayhem, and completely unworkable anyway.
Old Yesterday, 20:09 (Ref:4217409)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I understand the good motives but that would be total mayhem, and completely unworkable anyway.

Why would that be total mayhem and unworkable?
Old Yesterday, 20:19 (Ref:4217411)   #36
peebee2
Veteran

Many reasons that I think are fairly obvious. Let’s start with the legal and indemnity implications for the FIA on safety if a car can be defined routinely as being on the track in regulation and in a gravel trap simultaneously..
Old Yesterday, 20:37 (Ref:4217414)   #37
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Many reasons that I think are fairly obvious. Let’s start with the legal and indemnity implications for the FIA on safety if a car can be defined routinely as being on the track in regulation and in a gravel trap simultaneously..
That argument doesn't stand up as there are circuits where cars bounce off the Armco but yet "be defined routinely as being on the track in regulation"
Old Yesterday, 20:44 (Ref:4217415)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Correct Adam

If the driver want's to push to the very edge of the track remember as I said in my first post the track is defined as WITHIN the white lines. If a driver wants to run on the white lines with their inside tyres then the outer tyres will be on the gravel.

Or just go back to the ways of the 50s/60s/70s where you had a white line with grass immediately beyond. However, it was usually worn out and would commonly be rutted, meaning that drivers would do all they could to not get on to it as the results could be really unpredictable.

Further more, you also never had curbing that is on a slope which is just designed to help the drivers go around corners/bends quicker than if they did not exist. So why not take them away, as well? Or go back to the banking of tracks like Brooklands, because if you went beyond the track limits there you went out in to no-man's-land!
Old Yesterday, 21:39 (Ref:4217421)   #39
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
My issue is that a track is defined as between the white lines, so why does the gravel have to be a full cars width away from the outer edge of the white line.

That's exactly what they did at turns 9 & 10 this weekend - 1.5 metres from the white line to the gravel (the cars are 2m wide). Hopefully we see more of it in the future as it worked really well compared to last year.

Quote:
Worked really well this weekend, I expect that they'll do a review but it seems on first blush like they've come up with a good solution.
Old Today, 06:07 (Ref:4217452)   #40
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And yet - it is not a problem at the moment and we have cars being simultaneously on the track and in the gravel.

If I read SBF's post correctly - it is just being suggested that the kerb is made less than a car's width more consistently.