Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jun 2004, 05:37 (Ref:995124)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
**SPOILER*** Milwaukee Race Results (if ya dont wanna know then dont look)

Im gonna try something here.

The Milwaukee Mile race has just finished and the winner is............

1. Ryan Hunter-Reay

2.Patrick Carpentier

3.Michel Jourdain Jnr

4.Jimmy Vasser

5.AJ Allmendinger

6.Bruno Junqueira

7.Oriol Servia

8.Mario Dominguez

9.Rodolfo Lavin

10.Mario Haberfeld

11.Justin Wilson

12. Roberto Gonzalez

13. Alex Tagliani

14.Nelson Phillipe

13.Alex Sperifico

DNF.Gaston Mazzacane

DNF Paul Tracy

DNF.Sebastian Bourdais

POINTS AFTER MILWAUKEE

1 Bruno Junqueira 76
2 Patrick Carpentier 75
3 Ryan Hunter-Reay 66
4 Sebastien Bourdais 65
5 Mario Dominguez 62
6 Paul Tracy 53
7 Justin Wilson (R) 50
8 Alex Tagliani 46
9 Michel Jourdain Jr. 45
10 Jimmy Vasser 37
11 A.J. Allmendinger (R) 35
12 Rodolfo Lavin 32
13 Oriol Servia 30
14 Mario Haberfeld 30
15 Roberto Gonzalez (R) 29
16 Nelson Philippe (R) 26
17 Alex Sperafico (R) 15
18 Tarso Marques 6
19 Gaston Mazzacane (R) 5

NATIONS CUP POINTS

1 Canada 81
2 Brazil 74
3 Mexico 71
4 USA 64
5 France 64
6 England 48
7 Catalonia 30
8 Argentina 5

CONSTRUCTORS CUP

1 Lola 96
2 Reynard 30

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

1 Justin Wilson (R) 50
2 A.J. Allmendinger (R) 35
3 Roberto Gonzalez (R) 29
4 Nelson Philippe (R) 26
5 Alex Sperafico (R) 15
6 Gaston Mazzacane (R) 5
Old 6 Jun 2004, 05:40 (Ref:995125)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Hey that worked pretty well

all pics from the spotters guide at www.champcarworldseries.com
Old 6 Jun 2004, 08:48 (Ref:995178)   #3
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to RHR, the 2nd of many I suspect.

WHY OH WHY do non finishers get points???
Old 6 Jun 2004, 09:01 (Ref:995183)   #4
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Marcus,

I recorded it on Sky+ and watched it this morning only for it to stop recording with a couple of laps left!!

Justin did okay after he spun on lap 1......the muppet
Old 6 Jun 2004, 09:03 (Ref:995184)   #5
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
God effort! With Ch.10 in their wisdom not showing the race until 2.20 am tues. we may as well check out the result.Pity Tracy and Bourdais failed to finish but it is shaping up as good title fight this year.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:33 (Ref:995258)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job on the results post Marcus! Very professional looking.
As for the race. RHR put on a clinic. I had a feeling about it judging from his practice and qualifying laps. He was just consistently quick all weekend. very impressive!
Too bad that bourdais and PT crashed out, though they probably wouldn't have had anything for RHR. Nice to see PT so aggressive even if it did end in tears. Live by the sword die by the sword. I think his complaining about Patreek was offbase though.
Great job by Jourdain to get up to third, to bad he made the same mistake as Pat or he could have had second.
Lavin continues his upward move into respectabilty as well. This just proves that auto-racing is a TEAM sport.
Good race other than RHR completely dominating.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Jun 2004, 12:34 (Ref:995295)   #7
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The results, and what I have read suggest to me it was an interesting race. Top notch performance by RHR and the Herdez team, they dominated all weekend, and got the result. The incidents for PT & Seebas make the title points nice and interesting early, which is a good thing.

1:30 am Tuesday cant come fast enough (Thanks Channel 10 )
Old 6 Jun 2004, 12:41 (Ref:995297)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am glad RHR pulled out a great victory-SHAME on Champcar and Spike TV for having NO adverts for the race on Saturday Vs. Sunday any where, no internet no magazine no other channels or anythinggrrrr- which i thought it was going to be.
Nowhere but the CC website is this info to be found, I ma a little Miffed and peeved about it all
he lapped every one but Patreek and Jourdain? wow
Old 6 Jun 2004, 13:21 (Ref:995318)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A few of my observations...

Wilson contacts the wall on the first lap - doesn't stall and gets it pointed straight again - pretty impressive. First time I've ever seen anybody do that.

Tracy, blaming Carpentier for his wreck, lost alot of my respect.
Alot.

Meanwhile, Lavin earns some of my respect. Too bad about his drive-through penalty, he was having a really good run.

Dale Coyne, my new favourite team. What a great interview.

RHR asks his team to remind him continually about marbles. Bridgestone says the tires are exactly the same as last year, but it's warmer this time around. The track became very narrow, very quickly.

Only 3 cars on lead lap, well before the halfway-point.

Both commentary and camerawork have improved 500% over Mexico.

With strong showings like this, I wonder if RedBull might consider a primary sponsorship for next year.

So that's it... Two quick hours, and now there will be no more ovals. Sad.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 13:50 (Ref:995329)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
RHR goes into the record book, having led the most laps in the history of ChampCar racing, (per single event).
Old 6 Jun 2004, 14:37 (Ref:995359)   #11
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no fan of open-wheel oval racing, but with nothing else on at 3AM, I stayed up to watch this Man!, what an incredibly dominating performance from Ryan. He just left everyone else for dead; in fact, I was sure he'd have had everyone lapped by the final lap. Considering his relative lack of oval experience compared to Tracy, Vasser and many others in the field, he has a well-deserved record.

Strong performances from many in the field - Carpentier, Jourdain, Allmendinger, Seria and (have to say it...) Lavin. Not so good showings from Tagliani, Tracy, Bourdais and Mazzacane. Tracy and Bourdais might be regretting those lost points in a few months time.

Next round, please

Last edited by Testure; 6 Jun 2004 at 14:37.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 14:46 (Ref:995361)   #12
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw someone else (on another forum) remark that PT was catching "whineritis" from Bruno. I thought, "Where the h**l have you been the last 10 years or so...PT's been whining for eons!"

I listened and followed the L/T more than I watched it, but I'll certainly catch the telecast later on. I guess PT was upset that PC didn't let him by (?). If soo, geez, he needs to get over it...this AIN'T F1 and he AIN'T Michael Schumacher. I'm sure Suzmac will agree with me

Congrats to Bruno on getting the points lead (I know, it's a thin lead, but still....) and for bringing an ill-handling car to the finish. Why did it seem that the N-H cars were, for the most part, ill-handling all weekend?

Oops, I forgot...nice job, Marcus!

Last edited by MLM; 6 Jun 2004 at 14:49.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 14:57 (Ref:995366)   #13
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
A few of my observations...

Alot.
Interesting to note that both drivers had push-to-pass engaged going into the corner (rain lights were blinking). Wonder if this perhaps contributed to PT getting so loose.

Ted
Old 6 Jun 2004, 15:45 (Ref:995389)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Alot.
Don't be too hard on him macdaddy.
Although I agree that he was offbase in blaming Carpentier, he had just crashed out and the fire was still hot. It is the best time to get the most provocative quotes.
PT does need to realize though that if he is going to try such an aggressive move on his team-mate that he should expect same team-mate to defend just as aggressively.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Jun 2004, 18:37 (Ref:995448)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I too would like to thank Spike for not advertising the change. I wonder if they will repeat it?

Nice to see that 3 of the Top 5 including P1 are American-born drivers - all the pretty ones may be from Brazil, but there is some talent here too!

I am hoping AJ can get promoted to "Rookie Sensation." He is turning in some good, solid performances.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 18:46 (Ref:995451)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic race from Ryan. Dominance all the way. No-one touched him all race.

Carpentier and Jourdain were solid in the other podium spots but another great performance was from AJ. RuSport certainly are starting to come on.

Kudos to Lavin as well. His last lap stack notwithstanding, it was an impressive performance.

The 'Why'd you even show up award's' go to Tracy and Bourdais!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 20:22 (Ref:995504)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Re: PT...

I wish I didn't have to be so hard on him, enemy-ace. But Tracy blamed the accident 100% on Carpentier, and after having reviewed the footage, IMO it was 0% Carpentier and 100% Tracy. I realize that drivers are quite aggitated as they leave the race, but keeping in mind all of the distress that Paul's arrival on the team has made for Patrick... He finishes the 2002 season 2nd in points, yet PT joins the team and demands a chassis change. PT gets all the best crew. wins the championship, and Carpentier is fired. And now Paul is blasting Pat on live TV for somethng that Pat didn't even do. Very, very poor.

After his outrageous outburst, I hope and pray that Carpentier beats Tracy in the final tally. In fact, a championship isn't out of the question at all!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 20:24 (Ref:995507)   #18
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would so love the irony if Carpentier could take the title.

Unfortunately, with this scoring system - it doesn't look like the most deserving driver will in fact win the title.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 20:54 (Ref:995531)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Summary: A pretty good race although not as good as Monterrey. We had some competitive passing and an interesting result. We also had a driver dominate a race who wasn't from Forsythe or NH.

As for PT: Plain and simple, PT's a bit of a ******** when he gets to a race track, I think we've all known this for a long time. (Edit: That autosensor is REALLY picky, that wasn't even close to swearing)

One thing this track made clear is that the new point system stinks. Two of the key contenders sat back and collected points rather than fight it out. We're on our 3rd race of 16! The "it's a dangerous oval" stuff doesn't cut it. A few years ago people took their first oval experience conservatively but they didn't hold back. Remember when in '99 when JPM beat PT for pole at Nazereth? He went on to say how everyone was full of it when they said that you couldn't slide the car or get the back end out on an oval. Granted that's from a freak, but my point is that if anyone is coasting, the rules need to be changed to discourage such behaviour. If you look back at old CART or F1 races you'll notice that driver who were doing well sometimes crashed simply because they were pushing it. Today in both series this doesn't often happen. I think there's been a philisophical shift towards finishing races and until now I don't think that has been due to points systems. I just think the racing is a bit better when people are willing to take a couple of extra risks.

Nice to see Jourdain doing well. Poor Dominguez, I don't know what happened with him.

Edit #2: Crowd - Spike said it was 38k, it looked higher to me, but clearly the ticket counter doesn't lie.

Last edited by Snrub; 6 Jun 2004 at 20:58.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 23:32 (Ref:995655)   #20
Testure
Veteran

I've read that the track seats 38,000 in total; it looked to me like there was maybe two-thirds of that there for the race. I think OWRS announced 46,000 as the three day attendance (up on last year), which sounds pretty decent for something non-NASCAR to me. Be interesting to see how the IRL race goes there in July.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 23:40 (Ref:995665)   #21
Testure
Veteran

Nice quote from Nelson Philippe: "I'm a little dizzy".
Old 6 Jun 2004, 23:47 (Ref:995671)   #22
RapidTron
Rookie

RapidTron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
saw lavins interview on race director after the race. looked like he was ready to cry when he realize he has to face his nemesis the right turn for the rest of the year.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 00:22 (Ref:995686)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Track seats 45k in total. I was thinking it was higher.
http://www.worldofoutlawsracing.com/...sp?artnum=2397
Old 7 Jun 2004, 01:00 (Ref:995704)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I hope Lavin proves you wrong, RapidTron.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 02:55 (Ref:995746)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
macdaddy, this is the same PT that spent a season nerfing Franchitti left and right - I remember him nailing Dario from behind in Houston a couple seasons ago on like, Lap 3.IIRC, he made it sound like it was all Dario's fault that he smacked him square in the gearbox on the slowest corner of the track.

PT can be ridiculously quick, but he has had Max Papis Disease for most of his career. Penske, I thought, was just going to either have to fire him or have a stroke at the rate he went through equipment when PT was at Penske. The Captain opted for firing him.

To explain: when good old "Mad Max" was Brack's team mate at Rahal, he took him out at least three times in one season, twice I believe while Brack was leading. Kenny lost the championship rather coincedentally by about the number of points he would have gained had Max not nailed him.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.