Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Jan 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1810193)   #1
mongrelpunt
Rookie

mongrelpunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2007 Season Launch - any news?

Anyone heard whether there will be another V8 launch like last year at Southbank in Brisbane?

I missed out on last years, but I was hoping there would be another one this year.

There's nothing on the main site about it, but I'm hoping theres some other info about it.

Unless they are moving to another city for 07 as a rotation thing.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:43 (Ref:1810927)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if memory serves me right (rarely does) they said somewhere there will be one back down in sydney, don't know where though.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:46 (Ref:1810928)   #3
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's about time that they held it in Melbourne
Old 10 Jan 2007, 03:09 (Ref:1810940)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i reckon the should have a rotation.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1811035)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
according to one of the papers, it will be held in sydney at the top end of town, not for the public
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1811148)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Star City will be the launch for haves only. No commons allowed
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1811889)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Call me an idiot, but surely with the growth of the category, it would make brilliant sense to have a convoy of race transporters start in Brisbane, move down to Sydney, drop into Melbourne, and then pop over to Adelaide, before returning home to their respective bases.

That way probably 80% of Australia's population has the opportunity to see the cars in a non-racing environment, complete with drivers, and hopefully team owners and managers.....all of these people would be happy to give out autographs and talk to the fans, or at least they should be!

It could be a really well-organised and choreographed road show if it was thought out and well-planned, even if it only used show cars to display liveries. in fact, it would make have such an impact, that it would likely attract a pod of sponsors in it's own right....

.....Which gets me to thinking...!
Old 11 Jan 2007, 00:12 (Ref:1811912)   #8
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard a sneak peak is on for the insiders on the 14th january, with a Sunrise show on location and the public unveiling on the 15th january
Old 11 Jan 2007, 00:16 (Ref:1811913)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will it be as successful as the Harbour Bridge crossing when the launch was at Homebush? Special permission to run trucks across there as they are not normally allowed... and the 6 people who went out to watch (5 of them toll collectors...) may not have appreciated what they were seeing.....

A convoy sounds like a good idea... just depends how it would operate

If you put a few more cars at somewhere motorsport friendly like SummerNats, where HRT have been bringing their merchandise truck for a number of years... and maybe do some burnouts in PR2... there might be good cause for a return of a round in Canberra....

Given that there is very little happening in motorsport at this time of the year, could we get a return to the nations capital in January? Winfield Triple challenge anyone, round the streets and Parliament House?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Jan 2007, 01:41 (Ref:1811947)   #10
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea GTR! It sounds far too good to happen though.

Going back to the launch it seems strange that TC goes on about how the V8s are one of the few sports that are in every state that only Brisbane and Sydney are deemed good enough for the season launch; especially considering half the teams are based in Melbourne!

I do like the idea of the convoy. FPR did something similar back in 2004 when they drove from Darwin to Perth, stopping a various towns on the way.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 02:04 (Ref:1811962)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine
Going back to the launch it seems strange that TC goes on about how the V8s are one of the few sports that are in every state that only Brisbane and Sydney are deemed good enough for the season launch; especially considering half the teams are based in Melbourne!
It also seems strange that TC goes on about how the V8s are one of the biggest growing categories in the world, and yet no public are likely to be allowed at the unveiling...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Jan 2007, 04:36 (Ref:1812010)   #12
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry dudes - the launch is Feb 14th & 15th, not January as i said....getting it mixed up with my McLaren unveiling dates!! ( well they reckon the T8 cars will look the same, so....)
Old 11 Jan 2007, 05:39 (Ref:1812032)   #13
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
Sorry dudes - the launch is Feb 14th & 15th, not January as i said....getting it mixed up with my McLaren unveiling dates!! ( well they reckon the T8 cars will look the same, so....)
What one is the public one? or isnt there any for the public?
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1812063)   #14
lowndes2b1
Rookie

lowndes2b1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently the V8 Launch is a private function this year. Invitation only.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1812066)   #15
mongrelpunt
Rookie

mongrelpunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sucks. I was spewing i missed it last year.

I'd love to see the convoy idea - seeing 16-odd team trucks snaking their way down the highway, but I guess with high petrol prices it wouldn't be worthwhile.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1812089)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Call me an idiot, but surely with the growth of the category, it would make brilliant sense to have a convoy of race transporters start in Brisbane, move down to Sydney, drop into Melbourne, and then pop over to Adelaide, before returning home to their respective bases.

That way probably 80% of Australia's population has the opportunity to see the cars in a non-racing environment, complete with drivers, and hopefully team owners and managers.....all of these people would be happy to give out autographs and talk to the fans, or at least they should be!

It could be a really well-organised and choreographed road show if it was thought out and well-planned, even if it only used show cars to display liveries. in fact, it would make have such an impact, that it would likely attract a pod of sponsors in it's own right....

.....Which gets me to thinking...!
i reckon that would be a good idea alot of fans get to see them and not only the one state.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:42 (Ref:1813158)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My point entirely, and of course make it a real road show. If NASCAR can race for 36 weekends a year, then the Supercar boys can stretch themselves a bit surely.

As I said, if you make it a spectacle enough, then the package would be strong enough to be able to attract a sponsor or 4 for the whole RoadShow.

Broadcast it on BigPond; have mobile download updates to your mobile phone; get Denyer to read the weather from their new location every day....even if he has to be guest weatherman for the month; and between each city, sell a ticket to ride shotgun in each transporter.....which all winning tickets rigs allocated by a marble draw for fairness.

Can it be that hard to organise? Perhaps.

Is it worth it? Sure is - think of the off-season exposure...!!
Old 12 Jan 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1813667)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

In fact, think of the publicity and money that could be raised for charity if a raffle was held at each round - ticket cost about $10 - and for each stage of the launch the following season, a name is drawn out and that person gets travel, airfares, and accommodation for 2 people and gets to ride with a Supercar driver in their team's show car at the head of the convoy for a couple of days of the launch tour.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 15:53 (Ref:1814938)   #19
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
i reckon that would be a good idea alot of fans get to see them and not only the one state.
How's gonna pay for the diesel? Driving from Brisbane to Adelaide via Sydney and Meloburne is one helluva expensive detour.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1815282)   #20
just asking
Rookie

just asking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To those asking if the public will have a chance to see the launch, the answer is yes.

On Thursday the 15 of Feb, Martin Place Sydney. The public launch will be in conjunction with the Sunrise programme

The invite only affair will happen later that night at Star City.

So the public get first dibs! And if you cant make it, you can watch it across the Seven/Prime Network......unlike last year!!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 00:00 (Ref:1815333)   #21
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AGAIN it just goes to show that Aussie Bernie does not give a stuff about the public.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Jan 2007, 00:26 (Ref:1815354)   #22
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Run in conjunction with the Sunrise program? Does that mean I have to get up at 4am to get to Martin Place in time?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Jan 2007, 00:45 (Ref:1815368)   #23
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Run in conjunction with the Sunrise program? Does that mean I have to get up at 4am to get to Martin Place in time?
You might have to Chatters if you are planning to travel on the M5 into the city.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Jan 2007, 01:08 (Ref:1815386)   #24
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
AGAIN it just goes to show that Aussie Bernie does not give a stuff about the public.
Why TSR? I'm not taking sides here, but the fact they're having a launch is good news I reckon, and at least i get the opportunity to see it on Ch7 now that I dont live in Sydney any more
Old 15 Jan 2007, 01:16 (Ref:1815393)   #25
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A weekend would have made more sense to me, more chance of punters and their kids going along for a look, who would have the time to get out and see it in Sydney Metro on a Thursday morning?