Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Should methanol be banned as a fuel in Champ Car?
Yes, revert to petrol 6 15.38%
No, leave it as it is. 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:24 (Ref:1744555)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Methanol

Why is the Champ Cars are using methanol as a fuel even though the fuel is more dangerous than petrol? Cause methanol is colour and odour less and burns an invisble flame, while petrol you can see, smell and see. A classic example of why methanol is more dangerous than petrol was today's race at the Gold Coast when REMOVED SPOLIER went out of pitlane while in the middle of doing a fuel stop and igniting the fuel, and caused a major incident in pitlane where most people where evacuating and dousing themselves in water, not knowing where the fire was due to the invisble flame. So, do you guys reckon methanol should stay or move to a safer fuel.

Last edited by marcus; 22 Oct 2006 at 04:31.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1744559)   #2
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Methanol has a higher flash point than gasoline. In theory you should get less fuel fires.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:30 (Ref:1744562)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
could they not add something to the mixture to make the flame visible ?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 05:05 (Ref:1744583)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
greg read up on methanol. Is not "more dangerous" than petrol.

One only has to look at the explosive and horrific motor racing accidents involving gasoline that occured over the years maiming and killing drivers, spectators and team members.

They use methanol for the following reasons:

1. It is not an explosive like gasoline
2. It is harder to start a methanol fire compared to gasoline
3. It burns 'cooler'
4. Flames can be easily doused with water, you cannot do that with petrol.

Yes the flames are 'invisible' but they are obvious
Old 22 Oct 2006, 05:15 (Ref:1744591)   #5
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other reason is that methanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline, so you can run higher compression/higher boost.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:17 (Ref:1744651)   #6
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by lookleft; 22 Oct 2006 at 07:22.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1744709)   #7
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know if you could do anything about it that wouldnt be a knee-jerk reaction. You could probably just as easily review the refueling equipment and the procedure for releasing the driver than revert to a more conventional fuel.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1744732)   #8
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add to the advantages that it is a good platform to show to the petrol head crowed that biofuels can be high performance (as well as renewable and greenhouse gas neutral, I would push alcohol as the fuel of the future!). You wouldn't want to add something to colour the flame, the reason why methanol fire burns clear is because it doesn't produce soot.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1744762)   #9
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
You wouldn't want to add something to colour the flame, the reason why methanol fire burns clear is because it doesn't produce soot.
I dont think society is at the stage where we care more about the emissions of one racing serious over the well being of those involved in the series.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1744793)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is far easier to put methanol out, which I suppose is most important.

Yes, it is invisible, but this is rarely a problem. It is not hard to tell when your arse is on fire.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1744830)   #11
leaso
Racer

leaso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mate if that was a Petrol Fire today you would have seen massive Injury list to many people including the spectators on the other side of the fence.

Petrol is so volitile in its ignitions that it literaly explodes Meth on the other had under atmospheric conditions not so explosive.

Then you go the other way Meth needs a higher Comp ratio to burn at its best and produces on adverage about 100-200 ponies more than Petrol in a same spec motor with less compression.

The next thing is that Petro is a mainly oil based fuel which on contact to Skin will tend to obsorb into the skin allowing for a higher degree burn, were as Meth being Alcohol seems to sit on top of the skin not allowing the fire to penetrate the skin if you wish

Hope this helps a bit
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1745035)   #12
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a definite danger in that methonal flames are "invisible". I once had to physically prevent another marshal from putting his hands on a car that was on fire when he didn't believe me. But the driver knew it was on fire.

Methonal is great for racing. You can train people on how to look for methonal fires. But because of the invisibility problem, I don't think it will ever become a common fuel for road cars. In this case, it is ignorance that makes it a dangerous substance.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1745045)   #13
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, I want to explain that I wasn't intending to insult those who don't know how to look for a methonal fire. But on re-reading my post, I can see that it could be taken that way. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1745604)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
So, do you guys reckon methanol should stay or move to a safer fuel.
The I.R.L.'s '06 season's fuel is M90 - 90% Methanol & 10% Ethanol. CCWS may use the same blend. Starting in '07 E98, a blend of 98% Ethanol & 2% gasoline will PROBABLY be used in the I.R.L. That is what was tested at Daytona in SEP. The 2% gasoline was added to avert federal taxation when crossing state lines as ethanol is THE alcohol used in potable spirits such as American Whiskey and Bourbon.

Last edited by thebear; 23 Oct 2006 at 00:33.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1746004)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Put it this way, I certainly don't want ethanol!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1746008)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Methanol is, in most ways, much safer than petrol.

One word of warning. Both are nasty poisons. Methanol is rather worse than petrol as far as absorption through the skin is concerned. Both should be avoided/prevented but really do worry if you get soaked in methanol. Strip, shower and seek treatment. Ditto petrol but the likelehood of damage is that bit less.

Regards

Jim
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1746707)   #17
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Methanol has been used in "speedway" from about end of WWII.

Before that "anything" that would burn!

Very few drivers killed through methanol fires

Last one I recall immediately is "Swede" Savage at Indy 1973 - died some months later from bronchial damage after 'breathing" the fire.

Mike
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1746717)   #18
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Why not?

Incidentally - while I've no qualms with methanol/ethanol or whatever, I do think ChampCar and Indycar need to look at their refuelling equipment.

A pitlane fire is a rare thing in F1, yet in IndyCar and ChampCar they happen several times a season and it never seems to be raised as a problem...
Old 23 Oct 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1746839)   #19
blueflagger
Veteran

Ethanol doesn't contain as much energy by weight as petrol so racers are bound to dislike it.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1747692)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Methanol should stay unless some kind of bio- or enviromentally clean fuel could be found.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1747812)   #21
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me it seems that methanol is a lot better under real racing conditions than petrol. You don't see too many methanol fires anyways. Besides, both the IRL and Champ Car teams spray water at the fuel tank opening after the methanol has been added so that any spilled methanol will be dispersed.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1748630)   #22
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Why are you against ethanol? I think it's the way to go, because it's a non-fossil (hence "renewable") fuel. The motorsport should take its social responsibility by using non-fossil fuels and developing more fuel efficient solutions. This might attract new manufactures too.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1749070)   #23
davemk7
Racer

davemk7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember watching cart a few years back and them saying that the only emision of methonol was water, i don't know if its true or not though, i always wanted to know? The fire was a bit scary looking but everybody involved dealt with it brilliantly. to me a petrol fire looks far more scary and are justa common if not more so??
http://www.wildonesonline.faketrix.c...e-race-car.jpg
Old 26 Oct 2006, 02:34 (Ref:1749536)   #24
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pure methanol, burned completely produces water and carbon dioxide.

Methanol is usally derived from Natural gas, but it can be made from coal gas, biogas or fermentation and distillation
Old 26 Oct 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1749565)   #25
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
Pure methanol, burned completely produces water and carbon dioxide.

Methanol is usally derived from Natural gas, but it can be made from coal gas, biogas or fermentation and distillation
I'm not sure about methanol from "fermentation" but certainly ethanol comes from any plant that ferments - it is the alcohol we consume in drink.

I was told that anything that grows and reacts with yeast will create fermentation/ethanol!!

Mike