Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2498822)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Geoff Willis leaves Red Bull!

According to this article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76804 Geoff Willis has left Red Bull Racing as "his job had become redundant"!.
Now I'm usually good at conspiratory theories, but I can't work this one out. Has anyone got any ideas?
Old 10 Jul 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2498832)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
*Waits for Manor, Campos, or USF1 to announce him as technical director*
Old 10 Jul 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2498849)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Willis's main strength is said to be in maximising reliability. Perhaps they've decided the RBR is reliable enough.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2498861)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adrian Newey's probably responsible for 90% of Red Bull's progress since he joined. Maybe he's involved on far more than aerodynamics?
Old 10 Jul 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2498898)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
*Waits for Manor, Campos, or USF1 to announce him as technical director*
And I had thought the technical directors of the new teams were Nick Wirth (Manor), Günther Steiner (USF1) and somebody from the Dallara factory staff (Campos).
Old 10 Jul 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2498904)   #6
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, as a fan of RBR i would rather of him stayed. As he was one of the guys recruited about the same time as AN to try and turn around the fortunes of the team...something the NEW team has succeeded with this season.

Imagine he will be snapped up in a heartbeat.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2498934)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
According to this article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76804 Geoff Willis has left Red Bull Racing as "his job had become redundant"!.
Now I'm usually good at conspiratory theories, but I can't work this one out. Has anyone got any ideas?
So the job of 'technical director' at RBR is redundant. Obviously that set of updates for Silverstone was so good, they don't need to do any more work on the car and Geoff's no longer necessary. Moral of the story is don't do too good a job in F1 or you could make yourself redundant

He's obviously off somewhere else and when he told them, they showed him the door. Possibly back to Brawn.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2499093)   #8
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if I remember rightly he helped to preside over Honda's abysmal post BAR period. So lets not talk the guy up too much.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2499094)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
He's obviously off somewhere else and when he told them, they showed him the door. Possibly back to Brawn.
Hasn't Joerg Zander just left Brawn? I wondered why...
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2499101)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
Well if I remember rightly he helped to preside over Honda's abysmal post BAR period. So lets not talk the guy up too much.
No, I think they sacked him in 2006, just before the car came good. Then it all went wrong the following year!
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2499117)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He was there in 2004 when Jenson lost out only to Michael and Rubens in the Ferrari.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2499276)   #12
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not denying there were a few good periods when he was at BAR, but they're more than matched by a lot of abysmal years as well. My point is let's not talk the guy up into being something he's not.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2499329)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm not denying there were a few good periods when he was at BAR, but they're more than matched by a lot of abysmal years as well. My point is let's not talk the guy up into being something he's not.
Its very difficult to know what was the ultimate root cause of the dark years of Honda/BAR but its very clear that when the Japanese management placed Shuhei Nakamoto as technical director over the top of Geoff Willis things were never the same again. Geoff Willis has a proven track record of being a formidable aerodynamicist, and given the authority and opportunity, is an excellent technical director too. He had a lot of friends at BAR/Honda who knew what really precipitated his departure, and now that those factors are no longer with Brawn, I would not be surprised to see him back.