Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Aug 2001, 17:14 (Ref:131794)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong will almost certainly race for Minardi at the Italian Grand Prix - F1i.com

Malaysian Alex Yoong will almost certainly make his Grand Prix debut with European Minardi F1 in the Italian Grand Prix.

Yoong has long been tipped to take over from Tarso Marques and Monza is now the favoured place for him to do so. Minardi boss Paul Stoddart said: "At the moment, as you know, he's been testing for us and will continue this week and, if his Superlicence goes through, then I would hope to have him in the car this year and I think I will."

An FIA official has indicated to F1i.com that there will be no problem with Yoong's Superlicence application, as although he has not shone in the junior category and has been roundly beaten in the Formula Nippon Championship this year, he is considered to be a better option than Tarso Marques. The Brazilian is not thought of highly by the FIA, which reportedly receives numerous complaints about his lack of awareness when being lapped - a regular occurrence.

Politically it will serve Formula One well to have Yoong as well, as he would become the first Malaysian to drive in Grands Prix and this would bolster domestic support for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Yoong has an extensive test schedule planned, and the team is keen to get him racing as soon as possible due the huge amount of badly needed sponsorship funds he will bring to the team. The 25-year-old has heavyweight backing from the Malaysian government, which has a policy of promoting the nation through motorsport and has attracted further sponsorship for the team.

While Stoddart and the sponsors are keen to get Yoong in the seat, though, everyone is aware of the damage rushing the youngster could cause.

"He needs more kilometres basically," said Stoddart. "He's done quite a bit now, but you can never say when is enough. We have put the application in [for a Superlicence] and he has certainly pleased us, he's done everything we have asked him to do. He hasn't had any problems apart from a couple of minor offs, but then everybody has those, it's nothing serious and I think he'll be OK."

Stoddart said that Monza would be the earliest opportunity for Yoong to drive, but F1i.com's sources suggest that his place in the team for the Italian Grand Prix is virtually safe.

"I think the earliest we could get him in the car would be Monza," he said. "If we could get him in for the last three races then that would give him a good benchmark and then he will have the winter to do a lot more testing next year."
Old 18 Aug 2001, 18:55 (Ref:132217)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be at GB, Spa, Indy, Suzuka...?
Old 25 Aug 2001, 19:49 (Ref:135798)   #3
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Yoong is retiring of his F.Nippon seat at Team LeMans, and he thanked his promoters for the suppor of his F.Nippon campaign. You can see the reports about Yoong retirement of F.Nippon on the F.Nippon website http://www.f-nippon.com, with a good Japanese-English translator (Altavista have one).
It is a good mark that Alex is near of his F1 debut with European Minardi.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 23:44 (Ref:135898)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news !!!! A lot of money to MINARDI !!!!
Old 25 Aug 2001, 23:47 (Ref:135899)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and someone who will be a little closer to Fernando.

Good luck Alex
Old 26 Aug 2001, 00:21 (Ref:135908)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good luck to you Alex...Minardi are one of favorite teams..God's speed..
Old 27 Aug 2001, 11:11 (Ref:136370)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Press Release:

Quote:
YOONG REWRITES ASIAN HISTORY BY TAKING THE FINAL STEP TO FORMULA ONE

FAENZA, ITALY, AUGUST 27, 2001 - Following a successful two-day test at the Mugello circuit last
Thursday and Friday with European Minardi F1, Malaysian driver, Alex Yoong has today been granted a
Formula One Super-licence by world motorsport governing body, the FIA. This paves the way for the
25-year-old Kuala Lumpur resident to make his Grand Prix debut with the Faenza-based squad at the
Italian Grand Prix, in Monza, on September 16, replacing existing driver, Tarso Marques, for the
final three races of the 2001 season.

Yoong therefore will not only rewrite Malaysian motorsport history to be the first ever Malaysian
Formula 1 driver but also rewrite Asian motorsport history to become the first Asian non-Japanese
Formula 1 driver in nearly half a century since Prince Bira of Thailand who raced in the early 50s.
In any case Yoong is also the first South East Asian to break into Formula 1's modern era which is
popularly acknowledged to be the Bernie Ecclestone era from the 70s.

With backing from Magnum Corporation, Yoong has completed three Formula One test sessions with
European Minardi - two at Mugello and one at Monza - the total mumber of laps driven at competitive
speeds amounting to nearly three Grand Prix distances. His efforts have also assisted the team's
engineers to assess a number of new technical developments likely to be incorporated on its cars in
the future.

ALEX YOONG
"I'm very happy that the FIA has seen fit to grant me a Super-licence, not especially for myself,
but for my country. We've been working very hard to arrive at this point, and I would like to thank
everyone for their support, especially Paul Stoddart and the European Minardi F1 team, my sponsor,
Magnum, and the Ministry of Youth and Sport in Malaysia. I'm looking forward to the challenge of
Formula One because it is the pinnacle of motorsport and the place where every racing driver wants
to compete. To be the first Malaysian driver in Formula One and to represent my country in the
World Championship is going to be a thrill and an honour beyond words. I can't wait to get into the
car for my first Grand Prix."

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, European Minardi F1

"I'm really pleased that Alex has been granted his Super-licence, the final hurdle in his quest to
become Malaysia's first Formula One driver. The work he has done with the team over the last few
months has demonstrated clearly his driving skill as well as his ability to provide quality
technical feedback. As the first Malaysian driver to compete in Grand Prix racing, Alex carries
with him the hopes and expectations not only of his country, but also of the whole of southeast
Asia. I'm sure Formula One's profile in the region will benefit enormously from his presence.

"It also must be noted that none of this would have been possible without the support of the
Malaysian government - in particular, the Ministry of Youth and Sport - and the commercial backing
of the Magnum Corporation. The European Minardi team sees its relationship with Alex as the first
step towards a much greater involvement with Malaysia. Indeed, plans are well advanced to create
the first-ever race driver training academy in Malaysia, the aim of which will be to discover and
develop the young drivers who will eventually succeed Alex. Further announcements on this subject
will be made in the coming months. Finally, I would like to recognise the efforts of Tarso Marques.
He has been a great team player and has done everything asked of him this season, for which we thank
him. He will be retained by European Minardi F1 as test and reserve driver and, as such, will be
assisting with the development of the 2002 car."

- Ends -
Old 27 Aug 2001, 11:16 (Ref:136372)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Apparently Marques wants to stay racing in F1 - I can't see a seat for him anywhere though.

It's good for Minardi that they're getting Yoong's sponsorship. Hopefully Yoong will be able to get the car off the back row of the grid (something Marques never managed), and the money will tie up a Ferrari engine deal (here's hoping).
Old 27 Aug 2001, 13:02 (Ref:136450)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How can Marques think of staying in F1 ?
Old 28 Aug 2001, 09:19 (Ref:136939)   #10
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
Hopefully Yoong will be able to get the car off the back row of the grid (something Marques never managed)
Malaysian GP 20th place actually Steph, one place ahead of Alonso
Old 28 Aug 2001, 20:45 (Ref:137234)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
You shurrup.

He qualified 20th?!? That's impressive for him! Who did he bribe?
Old 28 Aug 2001, 21:25 (Ref:137266)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it was F Alonso...
Old 28 Aug 2001, 21:28 (Ref:137268)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
You shurrup.

He qualified 20th?!? That's impressive for him! Who did he bribe?
All the ones he left behind !
Old 29 Aug 2001, 10:18 (Ref:137585)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
see, alex, i told you i'd see you at monza
cracking news.
Old 29 Aug 2001, 19:06 (Ref:137940)   #15
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news indeed, but more because of the money that Alex brings with him.

Spare a thought for Tarso this weekend - the guy's had a tough season, but he's in F1, we're not, we're never going to be as good as him, so credit where credit's due.

Tarso: You may not be that quick, and you may not be an Alesi or Hakkinen - but you're still a Minardi driver, and that's all that counts.

Old 29 Aug 2001, 21:18 (Ref:138039)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Good one M Fan, but I don't think he will be anywhere else in the grid...
Old 29 Aug 2001, 21:44 (Ref:138064)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont want to sound sceptical but a columnist in autosport feels that Yoong may be a tad overated. How well is he doing in Formula Nippon?
Old 30 Aug 2001, 08:54 (Ref:138324)   #18
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
um, not very
Old 30 Aug 2001, 08:56 (Ref:138326)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong has been closer to Fernando than Tarso has in testing.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 11:18 (Ref:138371)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That doesn't mean much...
Old 30 Aug 2001, 12:51 (Ref:138402)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I dont want to sound sceptical but a columnist in autosport feels that Yoong may be a tad overated. How well is he doing in Formula Nippon?
In the F.Nippon he entered last year with much promotion (it was an agreement with Malaysian institutions and JRP (F.Nippon organizers)) in a third car of Team LeMans prepared for him (Team Malaysia by LeMans), but he usually was in the midfield and didn't score points. During 2001 he moved to the main LeMans team, but didn't score points yet (but he finished 7th).
The best days for Yoong about results were during 1999, when he raced in British F3 and later in European and Italian F3000. In the British F3 and Italian F3000 he can reach podiums (specially on the races with rain weather), but in the International F3000 he only qualified twice (when the F3000 had a entry of 40 cars).
Old 31 Aug 2001, 02:48 (Ref:138805)   #22
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Spare a thought for Tarso this weekend - the guy's had a tough season, but he's in F1, we're not, we're never going to be as good as him, so credit where credit's due.

Tarso: You may not be that quick, and you may not be an Alesi or Hakkinen - but you're still a Minardi driver, and that's all that counts.

Yes man, you say it!
Old 31 Aug 2001, 10:14 (Ref:138920)   #23
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
How can Marques think of staying in F1 ?
At the home for ex-Minardi drivers currently known as Prost GP. They'll take all the money he can bring them and much much more!
Old 31 Aug 2001, 12:14 (Ref:138975)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

At the home for ex-Minardi drivers currently known as Prost GP. They'll take all the money he can bring them and much much more!

right
Old 1 Sep 2001, 11:16 (Ref:139564)   #25
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if my Malaysian friend can tell me anything

Or whether he will defect from Ferrari to Minardi