Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:09 (Ref:342001)   #1
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ford giving Jag 12 weeks to get it right!

Daily F1 is reporting that officials at the top of Ford, the world’s second biggest carmaker, are putting pressure on Jaguar-Racing and its overseeing Premier Performance Division to turn it into competitive runner amid growing concerns in Detroit that the team is becoming a burden because of its failure to perform.

Nick Scheele, Ford CEO, has contacted Richard Parry-Jones, Boss of Premier Performance, demanding an action plan for the team.

‘I have given Richard Parry-Jones 12 weeks to tell me what we have to do to fix it to become podium material,’ Scheele told the Autoweek journal.

Here is the complete article:

http://www.dailyf1.com/en/news/news.php?id=1832

I hope this threat, er request has a positive effect on Jag and that if what they need to get to the podium is $$$$$, they get it.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:18 (Ref:342003)   #2
Kretzman JB fan
Rookie

Kretzman JB fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its about time, hopefully this will make Jaguar up their performance.

Nothing against Jaguar, but they have not been anything special since they formed. Ford gave them a lot of help supposedly, but its good to see that they're starting to turn on the heat. So Hopefully this will make Jaguar a better team
Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:25 (Ref:342005)   #3
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ford giving Jag 12 weeks to get it right!

Quote:
Originally posted by Spritle
‘I have given Richard Parry-Jones 12 weeks to tell me what we have to do to fix it to become podium material,’ Scheele told the Autoweek journal.
GIVE (not sell) it back to Jackie Stewart
Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:47 (Ref:342028)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Hire Webber and Frentzen as drivers.
2. Send Lauda packing, beg Rahal to come back.
3. Use the money saved from getting rid of Irvine to allow Rahal to hire soon-to-be-ex-Arrows technical staff.
4. Take a complete clean-sheet approach to the car, save for the engine and gearbox.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 24 Jul 2002 at 22:49.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 23:26 (Ref:342062)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need Stewart or Rahal back... they need more money... hell, they just need a better design team or whatever for their car. Frentzen's performances in the Arrows show that the Cosworth isn't a bad engine - the Jaguar chassis is the big big problem - not to mention two so-so drivers...
Old 24 Jul 2002, 23:37 (Ref:342072)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
They need Stewart or Rahal back... they need more money... hell, they just need a better design team or whatever for their car. Frentzen's performances in the Arrows show that the Cosworth isn't a bad engine - the Jaguar chassis is the big big problem - not to mention two so-so drivers...
G'day Mark......long time no see.

I think that I suggested Stewart a long time ago. Basically, the present management knows how to apportion blame - to everyone else. However, they have no problem solving expertise.

Valve
Old 24 Jul 2002, 23:37 (Ref:342073)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey Lee, why can't PDLR be there...?

I'm Catalan you know
Old 25 Jul 2002, 00:35 (Ref:342093)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Pedro's decent... Webber and Frentzen are just a better combo, in my opinion. He hasn't done anything that's really impressed me except be slightly faster than Irvine, which is not a great accomplishment.

I just see both Webber and Frentzen as more desirable. I can understand the nationalistic bias, though... I _really_ had to suppress the urge to throw in an American driver instead of Webber.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Jul 2002 at 00:41.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 00:53 (Ref:342101)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Not Andretti, surely

Valve
Old 25 Jul 2002, 01:08 (Ref:342105)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get rid of Lauda and Irvine. Lauda cannot manage anything, Irvine should retire to let some young chargers into the team.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 01:08 (Ref:342106)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Gah! Don't even suggest that, VB!!!

No, the young guns we've got. Pat Long, Paul Edwards, Phil Giebler, AJ Almendinger... These guys are F1 caliber, and being that Ford started out in the US, and is still regarded as an American company, that they bring up at least one of these guys as one of their stars for the near future. They won't make it otherwise, despite how much they deserve it.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Jul 2002 at 01:12.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 02:07 (Ref:342124)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
3. Use the money saved from getting rid of Irvine to allow Rahal to hire soon-to-be-ex-Arrows technical staff.
4. Take a complete clean-sheet approach to the car, save for the engine and gearbox.
1) Excellent choices!
2) You betcha!
3) Cool idea!
4) The only logical solution!

Lee, if only Ford were to read this.

Sadly, I don't see how Jaguar are supposed to turn it around in 12 weeks. Heck, they have three years of bad design, mis-management and shallow hype to live down.

Ford should just prop up Arrows , put a big blue oval on the airbox and pull the plug on Jaguar.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 02:14 (Ref:342126)   #13
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That said it for me.
Rahal would have made them podium finishers
Old 25 Jul 2002, 05:18 (Ref:342152)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda should go back managing his airliner
Old 25 Jul 2002, 07:53 (Ref:342212)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this gives Jaguar the boot up the backside they need. I agree they need some big changes around the place - I think Webber and Nick Heidfeld would be perfect, both are young, fairly experienced at top level motorsport, and could both win races. Lauda has to go, sadly he hasn't cut the mustard, Rahal would be good, but he can hardly come back after being axed. What is wrong with JYS? He'd be good I think, but of course, he is not getting any younger these days. Irvine gone means they can finally get a good windtunnel and work on the abysmal at best aerodynamics on the R3. The engine is good luckily.

Jag CAN win Grand Prix races. They aren't. They need change. This is one of the first steps, at the moment, they are tainting a famous name.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 08:20 (Ref:342224)   #16
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Lauda should go back managing his airliner
Isn't that gone??
Old 25 Jul 2002, 08:29 (Ref:342235)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda Air still exists, but Niki has nothing to do with it I believe.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 08:47 (Ref:342260)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He was sacked from Lauda air...

As I understand it, the 12 weeks refers to the amount of time they have got to come up with a plan. So maybe we'll see some progress after 12 weeks!

I've got a plan. Scrap the F1 team (or give it to Stewart - if he wants it!) and enter sportscar racing. That seems like the best way to get podiums.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 09:49 (Ref:342281)   #19
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
He was sacked from Lauda air...
Am not gonna be suprised then if he gets booted off from Jaguar
Old 25 Jul 2002, 11:19 (Ref:342324)   #20
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good Thinking!
I would like to see Wurz in there instead of Frentzen however!
Absolutely agree with everything else however.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Jul 2002, 15:58 (Ref:342533)   #21
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I also like this approach, and I don't think they have much to lose by scrapping the R series, but remember, it was the clean-sheet approach that got them into this mess to begin with.

EERO, shut up! Pull the plug, why I oughta....
Old 25 Jul 2002, 16:22 (Ref:342549)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Given their record so far, I'm not sure they'd even be able to identify the problems in 12 weeks, much less come up with a plan to solve them.....

I really hope they can turn this mess around- the Jaguar name has a huge motorsports heritage, and I hate seeing it dragged through the mud in this way- like AdamAshmore said,if they can't fix it soon, it would be far better to call time on the F1 team and take the name back to sportscars where it really belongs anyway......
Old 25 Jul 2002, 16:38 (Ref:342569)   #23
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is all a little unfair Jaguar started the season on the back foot after using a wind tunnel that wasn't properly calibrated and gave false information (so I hear) since then they opted to wait for there own wind tunnel to come online before testing any new aero packages. Since developing the new aero pack and using it at silverstone they were unable to do any real testing before silverstone and have only started to make ground at france!

You can't blam any of that on Lauda his had his hands full keeping the team together (after the start of the season there must have been a few people looking to jump ship) his managed to employ a good aero guy from renault and are starting to get the team moving. Another change of manager would mean a possible change in direction with regards to management stratergy.

As for possible team changes I agree with getting some new talent into the car such as webber and fretzen and with arrows troubles the german fretzen could be good choice for Jaguar publicity in the german car market
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:10 (Ref:342596)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm really divided into Lee's suggestions and EERO's.

Benny, if I do not look in the qualification sheets before each race, I would forget completely that there's a Jaguar team in the grid !
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:17 (Ref:342602)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really, to see how the Stewart SF3 was a car capable of top 3 in both qualifying and races and how they have undone it all...