Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Sep 2003, 02:26 (Ref:723687)   #1
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
University of Toronto Formula SAE Shootout

The 2nd annual University of Toronto Formula SAE Shootout will be held at Downsview Airport(where the Rolling Stones played and where pope was on World Youth Day 2002) in downtown Toronto on Saturday September 27th. 16 Schools from Canada and US(upped from 7 in 2002) are slated to a day of good ol' autoX action. They are:

University of Akron
Carleton University
Cornell University(2002 FSAE winner, 2003 9th place overall, 2nd in design)
Dartmouth University(2003 FSAE 18th)
Ecole Polytechnique du Montreal
University of Guelph
University of Kettering
University of Laval
McMaster Univeristy
Michigan State University(FSAE 2003 3rd Overall)
University of Quebec Trois Rivieres(2003 FSAE 14th)
Queen's University
Ryerson Polytecnic University
University of Waterloo
University of Western Ontario

and of course the host, University of Toronto (2003 Formula Student winner)

This will be the 4th largest gathering of Formula SAE car this year, after the 3 main Formula SAE competitions around the world(Formula SAE in May at Pontiac, Michigan. Formula Student in July in England, and Formula SAE Australia in December). With schools bringing multiple cars this will bring the total cars on track to near 20.

For those member who lives around the area or region, this will be a good chance to see what this program is all about and the varieties of design in the series.

For location and future info visit www.fsae.utoronto.ca
Old 19 Sep 2003, 02:48 (Ref:723697)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that photo's a bit large...yikes! Could something be done about that?

Go Carleton!! Too bad our last car sucks.... I wish our team would take a different attitude towards the car, and not just as a 4th year project to complete, but a competition to do well at... It's not my area though, I'm in Computer Systems. Still, this is a lot of fun for those interested and I'd like to see these things run sometime (can't make it to the above though).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Sep 2003, 03:24 (Ref:723713)   #3
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, the Toronto car sure is ugly. Why is it FSAE teams don't care about the appearance of the car?

And yes, that picture is far too large.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 03:36 (Ref:723718)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Not as Ugly as Carleton's...Honestly, I'm ashamed of our car... maybe I'll consider again to get involved this year.

Last edited by Jay; 19 Sep 2003 at 03:38.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Sep 2003, 03:40 (Ref:723720)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Carleton's Unfortunate entry... (hopefully we can do better this year)
Attached Thumbnails
carleton fsae.jpg  
Old 19 Sep 2003, 04:47 (Ref:723733)   #6
RacingManiac
Racer

Geez, ugly or not, it still out scored the 2nd best team in Formula Student by 200+ pts......

Given the dimension and proportion to work with, its hard to get the look quite right...but then again, apperance is only 5% out of 1000 point....

Last edited by RacingManiac; 19 Sep 2003 at 04:50.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 04:57 (Ref:723736)   #7
RacingManiac
Racer

To admin/mod:
change the above link of pic to the following please:
http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics...ingManiaca.jpg
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:22 (Ref:723805)   #8
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, but check this out...

Now that looks like a proper racing car.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 14:13 (Ref:724254)   #9
RacingManiac
Racer

Well but a lot of time it comes down to packaging and bodywork. Our fibreglass program is sort of new and most time were spent on making that nose with the sidepod being sort of an afterthought. Size of sidepod or location of some part purely depend on the cooling, packaging requirement. And then there are also ergonomic issue and so on. Every school tend to arrive at different point. The looks in the end really is not as important as how the car works and how much it weighs....
Old 19 Sep 2003, 14:39 (Ref:724277)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well for those in the UK this weeks MN has a piece on Brunels BR-4 Formula Student car.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 15:12 (Ref:724320)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Nice car evo, I wish ours was half as nice...ugh...If I was an aero, I'd wring their necks.

you're right though RacingManiac, it is about how well it performs. UofT has a very good FSAE program, so they do very well. Carleton's is only a few years old and still struggling to get more funding from the Uni...still, each year seems to depend on the team involved. On a good year, we'd be top-30, on a bad one..top-60. A different league from UofT... I think I'll see if I can get involved in some way this year. Maybe as an asthetics advisor .
Old 22 Sep 2003, 18:50 (Ref:726845)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FSAE cars don't have to look ugly... I think ours was pretty sexy (no sposor decals on it when picture was taken...I LOVE raw carbon )
Attached Thumbnails
fsae_wet.jpg