Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 29 Jul 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2510957)   #1
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Becoming a Chief Engineer

What qualifications do employers/teams look for when hiring an engineer or chief engineer?

I think I have the job title correct? (Guy Coulon/Jeremy Burgess role within a team).
Old 29 Jul 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2511023)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Burgess was a racer, not a brilliant one and just got into bike tech from that

Not sure about Coulon, but he has designed and built his own complete bike from scratch, a 36 six cylinder GP bike all engineered abd bespoke built by himself!

I dont really know what you wouold need really, most of them I would think have been in the scene a very long time. Best bet is to go and ask one at a lower level, theya re very friendly
Old 30 Jul 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2511475)   #3
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Well Burgess was a racer, not a brilliant one and just got into bike tech from that

Not sure about Coulon, but he has designed and built his own complete bike from scratch, a 36 six cylinder GP bike all engineered abd bespoke built by himself!

I dont really know what you wouold need really, most of them I would think have been in the scene a very long time. Best bet is to go and ask one at a lower level, theya re very friendly
I didn't know that, thanks.

But I expect the big teams these days wouldn't just except experience such as that to be hired as a chief engineer?
Old 30 Jul 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2511542)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No I would imagine you would have to have many years experience of runnign a team, some knowledge of data logging and ho9w that all works and the ability to man manage mechanics, riders and everything else

I would imagine most posts are promoted from within.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2515881)   #5
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf Waldmann swings the spanner for Kiefer Racing in IDM or swung most probably since he and Martin Wimmer bought the MZ company