Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 16 Dec 2002, 04:42 (Ref:450809)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blair racing out....

According to CRASH.NET, Blair racing has been unable to find a sponser for next season. They have folded up shop.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 14:14 (Ref:451154)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL costs are rising, it's inevitable some teams will be spat out...
Old 16 Dec 2002, 17:51 (Ref:451281)   #3
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I talked to Larry Blair via email. He said he has contacted over 550 companies for sponsorship, with no luck.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 14:30 (Ref:451855)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe he can get something sorted out for CART, or at least the 500?
Old 17 Dec 2002, 17:35 (Ref:451943)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
550 companies??? maybe putting them all together...

shame that a race winner can't be in the field...
Old 18 Dec 2002, 05:48 (Ref:452395)   #6
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
I talked to him about CART also, but he didn't mention which series he was looking at. He sounded discouraged.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 13:09 (Ref:452629)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's probably a case of not what you know, but who you know. You can have the flashiest presentation in the world, but the way the economy is, it's hard to convince tight companies to write fat cheques. A great shame
Old 20 Dec 2002, 01:19 (Ref:453882)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Toyota and Honda are onboard, isn't that all that matters ? Rather than a few ground roots teams. Something about the needs of the many....
Old 20 Dec 2002, 12:55 (Ref:454178)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course it isn't. Honda and Toyota will be gone soon enough, they're not here on account of any love of racing, adn will just as quickly tear IRL apart as they have tried to do to CART. Only with IRL, the basic product isan't on as secure grounds as CART, in terms of popularity with fans, and having top venues, drivers and teams involved out of choice.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:43 (Ref:454256)   #10
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda and Toyota might also soon be gone from F1 if the manufacturers break away from Bernies empire, but they are in F1 right now and also in the IRL. No one knows what the future holds. The IRL has the most famous race in North America, the best teams (Penske, Ganassi) and more name recognition among their drivers with Unser, Andretti, Brack, Franchiti, Hornish, De Ferran and Castroneves.

Some might think CART's future is brighter but Toyota and Honda did not. And their opinion counts.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 01:21 (Ref:454633)   #11
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Wouldn't worry about Toyota and Honda leaving eventually, the IRL will always have Ganassi and Penske, Unser, Andretti, Brack, Franchitti, Hornish, De Ferran and Castroneves. I'm sure in future even without manufacturers they would remain loyal to the IRL.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 02:40 (Ref:454669)   #12
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota and Honda are in the IRL now and they may leave in the future like they did with CART. Oh well. CART will have new engine manufacturers and the IRL will do the same. Honda and Toyota will not kill either series by being in or out. In the end, it will be the fans that keep a series alive or let it die. Racing will go on without Toyota and Honda. It won't without fans.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 05:17 (Ref:454714)   #13
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally Posted by The Snout
Quote:
Wouldn't worry about Toyota and Honda leaving eventually, the IRL will always have Ganassi and Penske, Unser, Andretti, Brack, Franchitti, Hornish, De Ferran and Castroneves. I'm sure in future even without manufacturers they would remain loyal to the IR
That's pretty bold Snout. Most would have said the same thing 5 years ago exchanging the acronym CART for IRL. The team owners, particularly the ones you've sited will follow the money. The drivers will follow the jobs. No question about it in my mind. It has nothing to do with loyalty, preference, or quality and only to do with making money. However, that is what they are in business to do.

Last edited by Flatspot; 21 Dec 2002 at 05:23.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 10:37 (Ref:454782)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Yea, I think The Snout was being sarcastic. Anyway, in five years Unser, Andretti and De Ferran will be long gone, and it will be the current CART stars who will be looking for an easy ride in the IRL.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 19:36 (Ref:455016)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Ganassi and Penske, Unser, Andretti, Brack, Franchitti, Hornish, De Ferran and Castroneves" are loyal to the all mighty dollar and they'll go where that is - that's why their in the IRL now (duh...). Well...except for Unser and Hornish, who didn't have any other offers.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Dec 2002, 01:18 (Ref:455183)   #16
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Guys, there was sarcasism in my point, all of them have followed the Japanese money to the IRL. But just writing that these guys would remain loyal to anyone and then reading it, it sounds so obsurd.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 04:54 (Ref:455275)   #17
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Snout, my sense of humour must have been on the fritz in order for me to have thought that anyone could be serious making a comment like that.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 07:19 (Ref:455309)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My apologies too Snout... it's not unlike other things I've read here so I just assumed... Who knows, maybe I was drunk .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Dec 2002, 23:54 (Ref:455809)   #19
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
My apologies too Snout...

Guys nothing to be sorry for. Just demostrating how ridiculous it sounds when you actually write a statement like that. I'm just disappointed for Blair Racing and teams like that that the day of the racing enthuastic is pretty much past and it's all Yen and palm greasing.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 00:41 (Ref:457422)   #20
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where will Alex Barron be in 03? A race winner should have no trouble in finding a seat, but with Big money teams now in the series, there are preciuos few seats left. Will he go to CART (Highly unlikely) or even NASCAR.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 09:48 (Ref:457535)   #21
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
I tend to think Alex is out of a ride unless Blair finds funding/sponsorship. Sad, but likely....