Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1618521)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monaco/Practice/Qually/Race

Thursday Practice 1.
Well I don't care what the few Ant knockers have to say...The Ant done good...having been the track cleaner early he ended up with the most laps 31.
But more impressively (If I allow myself a boast for the first time ever here, and why not!) his 4th and final run was just 0.160 off the World Champion's Renault, who set 'the time to beat' in his penultimate run.
For the knockers Ant's lap was his 2nd of an 11 lap run so no 2 lap low fuel flying wonder...and even if it was.... around Monaco!...Hats off to the Ant!

Alonso's fastest sectors: 20.1 / 37.8 / 18.5 = lap 1.16.712
Ant's fastest sectors: 20.2 / 37.9 / 18.6 = lap 1.16.872
Old 25 May 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1618556)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hats off indeed. However, we will never know how good he is until he gets a race seat instead of a hi-rev testers seat.
Old 25 May 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1618584)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
Hats off indeed. However, we will never know how good he is until he gets a race seat instead of a hi-rev testers seat.
Jeez - how many more times has this got to be run over again and again? There would be no point in the third car being tested in a different specification to the two race cars, so there really is no justification for doubting Ant's performances, which are absolutely first class by anybody's standards.
Old 25 May 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1618588)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is clear AD is running a sensible pace with race spec. And it is clear that it is a good time. What Alonso was doing is unknown though.

Good time and more importantly lots of laps for BAR to mull over.
Old 25 May 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1618610)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nice lap for Ant . 1m16.0 . it was probably on low fuel . as he entered the pits after it .

Ciao Marco
Old 25 May 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1618611)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunate incident in for him in P2, but that is the nature of Monaco.

Anywhere else it would've been a minor episode of running wide.
Old 25 May 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1618614)   #7
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for him . as in Kubica ..
session restarted

Ciao Marco
Old 25 May 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1618616)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
No, as in when Anthony ran slightly wide and took out out his front left and front wing.

Kubica spun afterwards.
Old 25 May 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1618622)   #9
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know its only a practice session, but Sato is currently ahead of Trulli, Wurz and Rosberg!
Old 25 May 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1618628)   #10
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Doornbos is currently 2nd Cant see him replicating that Saturday!
Old 25 May 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1618641)   #11
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, so Sato is now slowest. But Montagny has ended the session a second quicker than Sato, and amazingly less than 3 seconds off the fastest time - a hell of an achievement in that car! (especially considering that a lack of downforce is supposed to be SA05's biggest problem)
Old 25 May 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1618647)   #12
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo28
Ok, so Sato is now slowest. But Montagny has ended the session a second quicker than Sato, and amazingly less than 3 seconds off the fastest time - a hell of an achievement in that car! (especially considering that a lack of downforce is supposed to be SA05's biggest problem)
not much call for downforce at monaco...

mechanical grip is key.

the arrows' high centre of gravity obviously helping this time!
Old 25 May 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1618653)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Jeez - how many more times has this got to be run over again and again? There would be no point in the third car being tested in a different specification to the two race cars, so there really is no justification for doubting Ant's performances, which are absolutely first class by anybody's standards.
First two words of my post - Hats off.
Impressive time. He is obviously doing really well, and hopefully will get a race seat sooner rather than later.

Reality check - Nearly all test drivers are faster than their race driver counterparts in nearly every grand prix test session. Why do you think this is?
Old 25 May 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1618655)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm - fair enough, there is of course the freedom to go harder for more laps and worry less about the whole engine life. I guess I just get fed up when (other) people speculate about a completely different car being flung around for publicity, which is nonsense.

Wurz did a cracking job too - another one that deserves better.
Old 25 May 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1618656)   #15
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
No, as in when Anthony ran slightly wide and took out out his front left and front wing.

Kubica spun afterwards.
"That's what you get for driving too fast around the streets"! I keep telling my boys!

NB: Lap times didn't fall as much in the 2nd session as they usually do. ie. fastest time last year 1st Practice 1.17.152. 2nd practice 1.15.835. And in 2004 1st practice 1.16.502. 2nd practice 1.14.471. Oil? or bits of Honda?
Old 25 May 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1618661)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Hmm - fair enough, there is of course the freedom to go harder for more laps and worry less about the whole engine life. I guess I just get fed up when (other) people speculate about a completely different car being flung around for publicity, which is nonsense.

Wurz did a cracking job too - another one that deserves better.
Yes Wurz is good but after a spell as Benetton's test driver he did have 3 full seasons of Grand Prix, so it's not as if he's been hard done by or ignored really is it.
Old 25 May 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1618666)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
First two words of my post - Hats off.
Impressive time. He is obviously doing really well, and hopefully will get a race seat sooner rather than later.

Reality check - Nearly all test drivers are faster than their race driver counterparts in nearly every grand prix test session. Why do you think this is?
Hmm...If you follow the live timing and make notes (like I do) of how many laps test or race drivers do to achieve their lap times you would have the answer. Short runs on new tyres are usually with 15/20 kilo's in the tank, longer runs require a lot more fuel! It's sad that people are so cynical...actually it's ignorance, from the media too!
Old 25 May 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1618683)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Yes Wurz is good but after a spell as Benetton's test driver he did have 3 full seasons of Grand Prix, so it's not as if he's been hard done by or ignored really is it.
I think he has been overlooked unfairly - because the Bennetton was a heavy car which penalised the heavy driver - these days all cars are so far under the weight limit before ballast that the bigger driver isn't at such a disadvantage. He did a superb job at McLaren, is continuing in the same vein with Williams and (as a Williams fan) I'd love to see him in the race car next year (when Webber goes off the Renault!).

Of course I'm not saying he should be favoured over a certain other very credible third driver!
Old 25 May 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1618701)   #19
alfan
Racer

Poland
Wroclaw, Poland
alfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not confirmed yet, but apparetly TC in Kubica's BMW stopped working, hence the accident. BMW decided not to send Villeneuve and Heidfeld on track afterwards.
Old 25 May 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1618744)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Good time and more importantly lots of laps for BAR to mull over.
Surely you mean Honda...
Old 25 May 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1618760)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
D'oh. Live in the past me. Is Zonta still driving for them?
Old 25 May 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1618892)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, Pollock sacked him at the end of last season.

McLaren have looked a bit better so far....which is pleasing me greatly, although my hopes remain on the leash! Other than that, it's as expected really!

Roll on Saturday.
Old 25 May 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1618923)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Currently, I am hoping for Ferrari to make a break-through of sorts and, hopefully, a Mclaren (or two?) to make it onto the front-row.

Operation Stop Bloody Alonso, .
Old 25 May 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1618931)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Apparently Ferrari are struggling according to Michael.

Not too sure what the problem is, the Bridgestones appear to be good, Wurz sticking in a good laptime, so whats the problem? Downforce?

Or is it all a smoke and mirrors game?
Old 25 May 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1618939)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I am hoping that they will try some tyre options on Saturday that they haven't yet, and will discover something important. I don't have a clue what may be the issues, though.

At least they have an extra day to look at the info: what are the bets they do some testing at Fiorano on Friday?
Closed Thread