Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 May 2004, 19:09 (Ref:959616)   #1
james baggie
Rookie

james baggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 car races

Is there much point in running a race with 5 cars for 30mins when two retire after the first 2 laps?
Old 3 May 2004, 19:11 (Ref:959621)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some body was a donington on Sunday
Old 3 May 2004, 20:55 (Ref:959752)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Had a 5 car start at Kirkistown on Saturday, 1 finished! Must have been a lonely podium!
Old 3 May 2004, 21:04 (Ref:959763)   #4
Tango n Crash
Rookie

Tango n Crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
----------------------------------------
Some body was a donington on Sunday
---------------------------------------
Or was that today.
But wasn't it exciting when the leader actually overtook the third place car!
OK perhaps not.
But the rest of the meeting was good, barring the wet start.
Old 3 May 2004, 21:23 (Ref:959789)   #5
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there the first place car over took the third car infront of us!!!!!!!!!!

But both days did finish on time in fact Sunday finished early!!!!!!!!
Old 7 May 2004, 21:07 (Ref:963819)   #6
neil50
Rookie

neil50 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only does it seem pointless, but it is very easy for the marshalls to "switch off" with so few cars running. I had previously been involved with the e-type that came off big style at post 19, adrenalin was pumping for that but felt like going home for the last race. I know i wasn't the only one. surely races with that few competitors could be "bolted" onto another race! I understand that the drivers pay their entry fee to race (i would want to race if i were driving) but surely some forward planning could have avoided this un-necessary and quite frankly, embarrasing race (if you can call it that). It still wont stop me marshalling at meetings but makes me question the thoughts of the organisors. on a final note...have the pantera's ever finished a race, as marshalls i spoke to said that they were always breaking down!
Old 7 May 2004, 22:36 (Ref:963871)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've long proposesd that no race should run for more laps than the number of cars involved. Races with so few entries are a total waste of everyone's time, including the drivers. OK, if all 5 were together the whole race, but they never are.
Old 8 May 2004, 08:12 (Ref:964046)   #8
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with the principles expressed here, but I think in this case it should be remembered the race in question is for an FIA championship, not a club or national event.

How would you feel if you'd flown all the way from the other side of Europe, for a championship you have paid for and supported, just to be told your anticipated 30 minute race is now reduced to a 5 lap sprint! That's one way of killing off possible future competitors.

I can only presume enough competitors registered with the FIA at the start of the season for the championship to be sanctioned and allowed to start because any organisation, including the FIA, must surely recognise the pointlessness of running races with so few cars involved.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Steve
Old 8 May 2004, 09:20 (Ref:964065)   #9
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know what race you are talking about, but I know that in kart sprint races, whilst it is not encouraged, small grids have been amalgamated to allow a better race.

I understand the FIA race situation, but with national series it is the way to go. Join grids up, giving more spectacle and less meetings a year. Two bonuses - its easier to spread the number of marshals about, and also more paying public will come to see that sort of event
Old 8 May 2004, 09:33 (Ref:964076)   #10
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Andrew, it was the Pre '77 Grand Touring Cars, last race on the programme.

And as a kart CoC, I have done the same for small grids. All I was getting across was that this was an FIA event, not an MSA sanctioned meeting.

Cheers

Steve
Old 8 May 2004, 10:32 (Ref:964107)   #11
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
It's my (unofficial) understanding that the drivers offered to merge with the Pre '66 lot and written acceptance was tabled and signed by the drivers concerned however, this was vetoed by the MSA officials against the wishes of the BRSCC organisers.

I also understand that the sort-of amalgamation between the Pre '77's and the Pre '66's in the first race was due to an FIA cock-up which saw both races turn up at assembly insisting that they were first out . Because time was rolling on, this was allowed. It was also allowed for the last race with the Pre '66's having a bit of a jolly but, after keeping us waiting for 30 mins , none of them turned up hence only 5 cars.

BTW doesn't anyone else find it ironic that the yellow Pantera set the fastest lap on it's ONLY flying lap?
Old 8 May 2004, 10:53 (Ref:964122)   #12
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
I've long proposed that no race should run for more laps than the number of cars involved.
Right on Woolley. If you also add that the race should run for no less laps than starters, we'd get twice the usual distance
Old 8 May 2004, 16:41 (Ref:964393)   #13
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by johnw
Right on Woolley. If you also add that the race should run for no less laps than starters, we'd get twice the usual distance
You're not bragging about how good your championship is now, are you?????

Steve

PS Hope you still have lots left when you come down to Thruxton in October!!!!!!
Old 8 May 2004, 16:57 (Ref:964407)   #14
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe there is a regulation in the blue book that states, something along the lines of, "if no car under its own power passes the start/finish line in 5 minutes, then the chequered flag is to be displayed" REG J5.5 (2003 blue book)
Old 9 May 2004, 19:37 (Ref:965809)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
I believe there is a regulation in the blue book that states, something along the lines of, "if no car under its own power passes the start/finish line in 5 minutes, then the chequered flag is to be displayed" REG J5.5 (2003 blue book)
There probably is but the Blue Book doesn't count if it's an international event - you need the Yellow Book for that!
Old 9 May 2004, 23:11 (Ref:966002)   #16
johnw
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Tarrant
You're not bragging about how good your championship is now, are you?????
Bragging, Moi?
Just an observation Steve.

PS Hope you still have lots left when you come down to Thruxton in October!!!!!! [/QUOTE]
We're intending to have more, but appreciate your concern.
Old 10 May 2004, 12:22 (Ref:966421)   #17
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We're intending to have more, but appreciate your concern.
That's if they don't annihilate each other trying to work out the start procedure at Pembrey. Where's the green lights.
Old 10 May 2004, 12:36 (Ref:966431)   #18
johnw
Veteran

England
Electricity has not reached Pembrey, so no worries. Anyway we now have audible warnng devices to communicate with!
Old 10 May 2004, 12:39 (Ref:966436)   #19
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by johnw
Electricity has not reached Pembrey, so no worries. Anyway we now have audible warnng devices to communicate with!
To start a race they just blow the candle out
Old 10 May 2004, 12:41 (Ref:966443)   #20
johnw
Veteran

England
Candle! Have the BARC been investing again?
Old 10 May 2004, 12:58 (Ref:966460)   #21
mark_l
Veteran

England
it was part of the circuit upgrade over the winter. However the budget couldn't stretch to a full box of matches, so if you are a smoker, keep away from the BARC officials, they will be trying to scrounge a light.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:26 (Ref:973251)   #22
The Gate Keeper
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hull
The Gate Keeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least us at Post 12 had the joy of watching the poor bloke with his Omega stuck in the mud!
Old 17 May 2004, 12:47 (Ref:973286)   #23
johnw
Veteran

England
Mad Mark
You travelled from Hull to Pembrey to marshal!!!!
You must be madder than us.

Thanks to all the marshals over the weekend, particularly the observer at Hatchets who had me black flagged, believing that my car was about to fall apart.

It was (just) unbelievable brake warping that caused the problem, but with no spares available, had to live with it I'm afraid. I appreciated the concern though.
John (BMW no 21)
Old 18 May 2004, 11:57 (Ref:974263)   #24
The Gate Keeper
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hull
The Gate Keeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm may be mad, but not that MAD JohnW.

I was talking about the thrilling 5 car race at Donington on Bank Holiday Monday that quickly became a three car snooze!

I have never been to Pembrey, but one day I may make the trip.

Mark
Old 18 May 2004, 15:35 (Ref:974484)   #25
johnw
Veteran

England
M M
Ooops!
Make sure you leave a couple of days to travel there. Quicker to get to Jerez I think.
Cheers
John