Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:41 (Ref:560449)   #1
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC's MotoGP coverage

What a load of bo***cks.

Apart from the easy on the eye Suzi Perry, the BBC's coverage of Suzuka was dreadful compared to Channel 5's brillint stuff last year. Here's why.

No 125/250 highlights

Only highlights of the GP, unlike the live (or at least full re-run we've come to expect)

I get the feeling that once the european races start, they'll be made to fit into Sunday Grandstand's schedule, where no doubt it will be overlooked in favour of Bowls, Chess, Individual Syncronised swimming, and even (heaven forbid) Cricket!

Come back Steve Scott & Channel 5. PLEASE!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:57 (Ref:560716)   #2
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree it was terrible.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 11:26 (Ref:561378)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it the same commentary team that does the World Superbike coverage for the BBC?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 11:44 (Ref:561409)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, Steve Parrish and Charlie Cox do the World Superbikes, and I'm bnot sure why they weren't on duty for this. Only thign I'd add is that the coverage did seem to be pretty clsoe to as-live - it lasted well over half an hour,a dn teh race only lasted 44 minutes. At least everyone in the country can get it now.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:42 (Ref:561626)   #5
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well last year I had nothing because of a row between Eurosport and NTL. Yesterday I got most of the race. I can't complain. And you are 100% correct about Miss Perry.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:47 (Ref:561643)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Not being able to get Channel Five or satellite, I can't compare. I was, however, quite happy with the BBC's coverage. Crucially, & unusually for the BBC, it actually went out at the advertised time - an important point for those of us who have to tape it (I was at a real race meeting!)

As for the commentary, it was better than I expected from two 'unknowns' (well, I've never heard of them); unobtrusive & reasonably well-informed. Much better than Charlie Cox - about time he realised that, firstly the sport is bigger than he is, & secondly that most of the viewers know more about bike racing than he does.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 7 Apr 2003 at 13:50.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 21:20 (Ref:564515)   #7
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not being able to get Channel Five or satellite
Must be North of Watford
Old 10 Apr 2003, 07:58 (Ref:564840)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by pixie
Must be North of Watford
Civilisation, we calls it!
Old 10 Apr 2003, 16:52 (Ref:565271)   #9
Highlander
Rookie

Highlander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eruosport coverage is the best, DB get ntl. Why dose Suzi (Threesome with CE & TB) Perry insised on walking round the grid and talking at the same time... STAND STILL AND BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!SO WE CAN HEAR IF YOU'VE GOT SOMETING IMPORTANT TO SAY!!!!!!!!! (bint)
Old 18 Apr 2003, 00:36 (Ref:572693)   #10
moto1
Racer

moto1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Totally agree with you Highlander!! She's always been short of breath!! I wish??? When she did World Supers for Sky she was the same, The coverage from the Beeb was Terrible and I feel sorry for the people that missed a great 250 and 125 race! Good to see one of the old commentators back!! Transatlantic challenge anyone??? Yes I still believe Eurosport ****s all over other Bike racing coverage! Rock on Toby and Jules........
Old 25 Apr 2003, 20:37 (Ref:580993)   #11
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't C5 show it all live last year?
Old 25 Apr 2003, 20:50 (Ref:581005)   #12
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep. I'm sad they lost the contract because although the picture wasn't gret the races were well handled and taken seriously. Unless it rained, in which case thank God for the internet!
Old 25 Apr 2003, 21:57 (Ref:581082)   #13
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi again. One Moto GP team is banned from this weekend's race.
Old 26 Apr 2003, 20:40 (Ref:581639)   #14
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
yep. I'm sad they lost the contract because although the picture wasn't gret the races were well handled and taken seriously.
That's a joke. If it wasn't for Eurosport, I would be really annoyed! I think C5 did a great job. I can even remember they did a two hour review at Christmas one year!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 19:47 (Ref:584186)   #15
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fortunately the MotoGP World Championship is the one area of motorsport Eurosport seems to do right (in contrast to the way they mess their viewers about wrt CART, F3000, etc, etc,...). All MotoGP, 250cc and 125cc races shown LIVE and in their entirety - cannot complain.

But for those without non-terrestrial TV coverage of the championship has gone backwards this year (well that is assuming Channel 5 can be seen). Only a handful of races due to be shown live on the BBC and (shame on them) they ignore completely the 250s and 125s. Channel 5 showed almost every race live with highlights of the other 2 classes. A clear backward step.