Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2005, 05:56 (Ref:1270471)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Predictions Strategy - hope or expectation

Just been looking at some of the entries for the predictions competition from the first three races - and certain users have interesting trends about who they pick for good results.

Some stick with "favourite drivers", some go with the results at the last race, some go random.

So - do you pick the result you expect WILL happen - or the result you WANT to happen?
Old 5 Apr 2005, 07:18 (Ref:1270557)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hope always hope ..

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Apr 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1270566)   #3
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, so far it's been guesswork being as we've only had the first three races, but I'm hopefully going to pick up on trends and go from there. Oh, and a little hope never hurts either.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1270585)   #4
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, it has been a mix of both, but a bit of bias in hoping for a Ferrari 1-2..but after Imola, I am going to follow the trend. If Ferrai are not on the podium at Imola, guess they are not going to be WCC or WDC, so got to start being predicting sensibly
Old 5 Apr 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1270588)   #5
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mainly on the previous races,but also a bit on media reports prior to the race.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1270592)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Last year was easier to predict. Always predict on Expectation rather than hope.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1270593)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just do a random list, with my favourite in a reasonable position...
Old 5 Apr 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1270631)   #8
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just doing it randomly until I can find some trends in the finishing order, then it will be more calculated
Old 5 Apr 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1270698)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
A dartboard seems to work just fine for me, and it has great appeal to my naturally lazy intellect!

The results speak for themselves!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1270710)   #10
rameire
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Rep of Ireland
rameire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Random really,
its all a load of guess work.
the retirements I have chosen though were all what I was hoping for, well mostly.
Come on Jordan, Oh I hope they win some sort of thing this year, be it fancy dress, most vibrant colour of car, or even a race or two.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1270752)   #11
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
< i usually think about who i choose ... expectation
Old 5 Apr 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1270872)   #12
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I always send in a prediction purely based on historic data.
So I start up my excel workbook, go to the results sheet, add the results for the previous race, go to the teams sheet, refresh 2 pivot tables, go to the drivers sheet, refresh 2 pivot tables, go to the predictions sheet, and copy and paste into ten-tenths.
(I made that document at a computer on which macro's didn't work).

Usually it brings me something like p3 at the end of the year.

I use the same system for the championship predicions at the start of the season.
Usually that brings me a top-3 position.

(I did not enter the competition this year).
Old 5 Apr 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1270879)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first race was how I thought it would be, but didn't turn out right. Malaysia, I judged he results from Melbourne, and put them out how they would have hapened if other guys hadn't of had problems.
Then Bahrain, was a similar situation.

Last edited by luke; 5 Apr 2005 at 14:00.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1270894)   #14
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hope, based on increasingly little. Or probabilities based on last season. Kinda depends how you look at it...
Old 5 Apr 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1270899)   #15
Dog Faced Boy
Racer

England
Kingston upon Hull,Laaandon Essseeeeeexx
Dog Faced Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expectation and gut feeling with a little bit of bum love for Button thrown in.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1270984)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always pick what I think won't happen, rather than what I think will happen.

It has been moderately successful so far.

The amount of Button victories I predicted last year must have ran into the thousands! This policy had to change.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1271041)   #17
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Faced Boy
with a little bit of bum love for Button thrown in.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Normally it's by expectation, which can hurt early in the season, as Toyota and Red Bull have aptly demonstrated so far.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1271045)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Comming to think of it, I've never predicted Schui to win, since I joined, and It's and happened, once, so I've done allright.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1271100)   #19
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
So - do you pick the result you expect WILL happen - or the result you WANT to happen?
A little bit of both I think. Hard not to put your favorite driver in there somewhere, a point highlighted so far by the JV fans!
Old 5 Apr 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1271101)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kb i thought you were better than this.... Copying other people's strategies will get you no where..
Old 5 Apr 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1271109)   #21
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to go with result I think will happen, which is generally a pretty poor decision.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1272330)   #22
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite method is to use a pin and a list. Close eyes stick pin in list, write out list, ignor list and then post predictions based on performance and expectations.

It rarely works, but it keeps me happy. Always difficult at the beginning of the season to predict anything, but it's fun.

I use to use the crystal ball method This no longer works since I threw it at the door in the middle of last season and it's gone a funny colour now.

Oh! well, back to the drawing board, now where did I put it................mumble mumble mumble.............
Old 7 Apr 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1272610)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop
................mumble mumble mumble.............
Kimi? Is that you?
Old 8 Apr 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1273083)   #24
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Kimi? Is that you?

I don't know! I've forgotten.......
Old 8 Apr 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1273256)   #25
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked at testing and history to base my predictions. Toyota, redbull and Ferrari have caught me out and i expected Maclaren to do better.
Ill be going with the results of the last 3 races to predict my next race, possibly putting a ferrari up there with them

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"