Old 7 Dec 2009, 05:50 (Ref:2595279)   #1
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Columbia Curves

New track.

I started work on another track that is more of a project/ concept track that will incorporate many unique features like a curved pit road, grid, and grandstands. This started taking too long so I stopped working on that and did a quick little circuit shown here, Columbia Curves.

Originally this track was only about half of its final length but then I kept on adding to it. It is counter clockwise and is just shy of 2 miles long. I intended that primarily the circuit would be run WITH the chicane that is about halfway around. But I included an option without it for those of you that don't like chicanes. And yes I did copy a bit of the architecture from that building at the America's Cup harbor inside the Valencia street circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
cc1.png   cc2.png   cc3.png  

cc4.png   cc5.png   cc6.png  

Old 7 Dec 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2595294)   #2
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
Sorry remeasured and its over 2 miles, more like 2 and a quarter. I haven't perfected measuring a circuit in sketchup
Old 7 Dec 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2595380)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
that's a(nother) great design of yours! Simple, but great. All thimbs up!

bio
Old 7 Dec 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2595495)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminiscent of Kyalami in both forms, good job.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2595509)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Or Magny Cours!!

Selby
Old 7 Dec 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2595521)   #6
Warren Hughes
Rookie

United Kingdom
Durham
Warren Hughes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last corner looks a bit like Clearways at Brands Hatch. I think the pit lane exit looks a little dangerous; because of the shape of the corner, the cars will head to the outside of the track quite quickly after an early apex, which might mean the pit lane exit gets in their way. SBF is the expert on this though, so see what he says. Other than that it's a great circuit
Old 7 Dec 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2595547)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Great design. It looks a lot like the top portion of St. Jovite (Mont Tremblant).
Old 7 Dec 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2595572)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks very good, and at around ~3.6km is a good length.

The way I measure tracks in Sketchup is to draw the centreline and then offset it later - it makes building different variants a doddle, too.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2595581)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bit of elevation there and that would be majestic
Old 7 Dec 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2595657)   #10
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Alexander86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great track. And great visual style! I will have to watch a lot of tutorial videos...
Old 7 Dec 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2595831)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Hughes View Post
The last corner looks a bit like Clearways at Brands Hatch. I think the pit lane exit looks a little dangerous; because of the shape of the corner, the cars will head to the outside of the track quite quickly after an early apex, which might mean the pit lane exit gets in their way. SBF is the expert on this though, so see what he says. Other than that it's a great circuit
I think I agree on the pitlane exit, though to be honest I'm not sure what the solution would be. I'll have to have a think about it, because I really wouldn't want to break the flow that you have going
Old 8 Dec 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2596036)   #12
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I think I agree on the pitlane exit, though to be honest I'm not sure what the solution would be. I'll have to have a think about it, because I really wouldn't want to break the flow that you have going
what about after T2, like Interlagos has, as there would be adequate space on the straight between 2 and 3, seeing as it's anticlockwise, and the cars would be up to speed.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 23:25 (Ref:2596383)   #13
Warren Hughes
Rookie

United Kingdom
Durham
Warren Hughes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I made my comment on the (wrong) assumption that the track was clockwise... Looking at it again, I think you might just get away with it as it is.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2596600)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This circuit should be great fun for touring cars. It has beautiful corner shapes, too.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2596888)   #15
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
The pit exit isn't perfect, but then again none are. I tend to have short main straights, which leads to the pit exit being on the inside after the first corner. I have done this on multiple tracks. Some work better than others. It could wrap around to exit after the second corner but it really isn't that much different than it is now.

Here are some more images of the architecture for those of you that are interested. As you can see I did not go nearly as detailed with this circuit as I did with Road New England.
Attached Thumbnails
1.png   2.png   3.png  

4.png   5.png   6.png