Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1448636)   #1
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something to learn from WRC?

This last weekend I went to Tarragona to watch the Spanish round of the WRC. Having been to many F1 races, both as a paying customer and having received a pit pass, I was expecting to pay a fortune to see the rally or at least have to pay to get into the service area. Despite a few problems getting to the stages (through lack of knowledge of the area) I managed to find a nice spot with a few others where I watched a stage, in the sun, having not spent a penny to see the cars. I then went down to the service park area and met some of the stars, again at no cost.

I understand that F1 is different and circuits have overheads, etc etc but surely there must be a way of making F1 more spectator friendly. I can genuinely say that I have never enjoyed a motorsport day more in all the 18 years that I've been attending circuit racing. At the service area Petter Solberg spent at least 20 minutes speaking to the fans. He seemed to love every minute of it (as did my girlfriend!). Mitsubishi gave out free T Shirts to everyone and the whole thing was very pleasant.

I'm not going to knock F1 as I love the cars, etc but I can't imagine any of todays "stars" being so spectator friendly. When was the last time you saw an F1 car go past (in anger) without catch fencing/a barrier in front of you?

The highlight was being passed by Roman Kresta on a road stage having completed a stage.

I understand that some of these things aren't possible in F1 (esp. the bit about driving the cars on an open road) but surely they can make it a bit more spectator friendly? The whole weekend cost around €300, none of which was spent paying to see the rallying or getting into the service park...

Your thoughts?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1448643)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simply, circuits have to charge what they do to afford a race and people pay it. Rock bands could do free concerts, but they tend charge for them!

However circuits like Silverstone allow you to go to testing for free. So they do so something.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1448644)   #3
Fan
Veteran

Sure, I understand that, but then so do rallies...
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1448653)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good! Hurrah free testing all round!
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1448656)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The British GP usually sells all its tickets.

Therefore it has no supply-and-demand need to do any more for the fans.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1448713)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which stages did you go to, Fan?
That's the appeal of rallying, the fact that for no money you can see very quick cars around a corner at just a metre or so from you if you pick well.
And the assistance park is just great and guys like Solberg really help raising the profile of rallying.

I say F1 can be the elitist self and we fans can always rely on rallying for better access to the drivers, co-drivers and cars...
Old 31 Oct 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1448747)   #7
Fan
Veteran

Hi Jordi, we went to La Figuera in the afternoon, close to the hairpin. Did you go?

Kicking-back, Adam: Whilst I understand your points I think that you're missing my main point. When was the last time that normal spectators had the chance to meet an F1 driver, 20 seconds after he'd got out of his car? I've been in the pits when a practice has just ended and the drivers are in the truck before you even get a chance to see them.

My point is that WRC seems more friendly, more accessible and I don't think that F1 is more profesional than WRC, just more aloof....
Old 31 Oct 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1448751)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is meant to be elitist and aloof.

That's part of the appeal.

Else it's no longer up there and "special" - it becomes like all else.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1448762)   #9
Fan
Veteran

Ok, fair point. But do you not think that it would help F1 to have a system where the average spectator could have more access to the drivers/cars? I don't think that F1 is anywhere near as popular as it used to be, and the drivers (are forced to be) pupets who have to tow the corporate line (except Redbull).

Stand outside the Subaru pits after a WRC event and listen to all the Norwegian fans singing about how much they love Petter Solberg (with a full band as well!) and you'll see what I mean about involving the spectator more.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1448765)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

F1 has far more fans than rallying, so no, I don't think it needs to do more for the "average" spectator.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1448771)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's as simple as it sounds, if F1 wasn't as alien as it is to it's fans it would be much more popular.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1448777)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't want it to be much more popular.

It's too popular already.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1448787)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Kicking-back, Adam: Whilst I understand your points I think that you're missing my main point. When was the last time that normal spectators had the chance to meet an F1 driver, 20 seconds after he'd got out of his car? I've been in the pits when a practice has just ended and the drivers are in the truck before you even get a chance to see them.
The main from your post semmed to be the expense, sorry.

While people can't meet them 20s after he gets out the car he ususally ends up being interviewed on telly in a similar time scale. So while one person doesn't get to see them straight away millions do. Perhaps unfortunately this is what they want to achieve in Rallying!
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1448788)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is the casual motor sport fan, they only know NASCAR, infact I have a friend who moved out to the states, I was talking to him last year and asked him do you go to the U.S. grand prix, and he asked there's an F1 grand prix in America?? But he said there is a huge race in Indy with the NASCARS, and that is exactly what I am getting at, sure in Europe F1 is popular and other parts of the world, to the casual fan here, they know what F1 is and watch the odd race as there is nothing else on at that time, yet if it was cheaper to go to, actually get close to the drivers and not feel your alien then it would be much more popular, why do you think Goodwood is as popular as it is? Infact I know many people from America that travel to the Goodwood festival of speed every year because they love it because it is so fan friendly, all that way yet it's only a half hour drive for me.
This is exactly what I am on about, if F1 was more fan friendly it would be more popular.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1448794)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one of the stages at catalunia was canceled due to over crowding. This wouldn't happen in britain because the wales rally GB limits the number of tickets sold to get access to the stage.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1448855)   #16
Fan
Veteran

Ah - ok. So in the Wales GB rally they obviously charge people to spectate on the stages - I didn't know that.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1448865)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There was once a discussion between the rally bosses, it went along the lines of "what can we learn from F1?" Maybe they are taking the bad bits?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1448962)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
F1 is meant to be elitist and aloof.

That's part of the appeal.

Else it's no longer up there and "special" - it becomes like all else.

Now come on KB you don't really believe that do you
Old 1 Nov 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1449043)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
To a point I think he is correct.

However, I guess, from my point of view, the access thing does not bother me so much. It does not really flick my switch to meet strangers that would rather be somewhere else.

To be honest, I would rather they were in their motorhomes working, putting their energies where I want them to put them most - into providing the spectacle that I watch.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1449050)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Now come on KB you don't really believe that do you

Absolutely.

The drivers are meant to be demi-gods, heroes.

Not regular guys you can tap on the shoulder.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1449116)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The drivers used to be demi-gods & heroes, when the drivers themselves were a bigger part of the equation - these days the drivers are just... drivers.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1449187)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely.

F1 drivers were meant to be common men who do the unimaginable with the most exotic cars in the world, not demi-gods or heroes...
Somewhere along the line F1 got stuck up on themselves and think they're the real deal, the big cheese, the grand kahuna, and so on...

F1 today IS like all else, just another racing series with fast cars.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1449246)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While i agree that F1 has the glamour, women, wine and dine experience, etc that makes everyone look up to it, i do understand the point of the thread-starter.

Being friendly to the public doesnt mean it would degrade the show. And i find it worrying when people insist that drivers are supposed to be demi-gods beyond our reach.

It's almost turning into English soccer players...where the smell of money makes people think they are superior to all else.

I frankly think F1 as a community needs to work on this aspect. I quite like an idea of Flavio's, because with pitwalks, teams are careful when showing their race cars internal bits for fear of rivals taking pictures/copying/etc. Flavio suggested having show cars (empty shells). I'd add on to the idea, that FIA pays for the transporting of these "showcars" and open up friday or saturday for people to just take pictures with drivers or something. An hour isn't too much to ask for, is it?

It's one thing about image, but when trucks are parked to millimeter perfection, crews pulled off fence, drivers made to rant 2mins 30seconds exactly in post-race interviews, and couldn't even have a night at the pub without getting the team-boss mad, we have to wonder if it's pushing perfection abit too far.

Yes, F1 is already pretty popular by numbers compared to other sports, and while having one or one million or one billion fans isn't going to affect my liking for F1, i don't see why F1 should get complacent just because silverstone sells all it's tickets or that it's "too popular".
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1449249)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Absolutely.

Nahh..you're thinking of MOTOGP K-b.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1449270)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame