Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Nov 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1449788)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Milltek BMW Challenge

Next season this championship will run with the Classic Touring Car Racing Club. Good news or what?

Thoughts people.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1449941)   #2
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not good for me as I didn't see any of their (CTCRC) meetings this year...though I would have loved to they always clashed with other championships I have to cover for the mags like Minis, Ford Saloons, SCSA and Britcar-hopefully next year will fit 1 or 2 in!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1450161)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Watch out Peter - they're insane! The racing is always good to watch though, it's usually pretty frenetic from start to finish.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1450212)   #4
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for getting the pre-93 series off the ground. They were good value at Snetterton a couple of months ago, and I suppose they fit within the "classic" parameter, so why not? Nearly a whole days racing across the whole saloon spectrum, plus a couple of guest series, promoted right the crowds should come.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1450398)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
We used to run with the BMW's in the ModProds a while back, alright I guess but I am not a lover of one make or one model championships myself. Variety is the spice of life and IMHO what attracts the spectator.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1450455)   #6
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Admit it, Al, you just don't like anything without a huge great V8 in it!!!!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1450500)   #7
Liam22
Rookie

Liam22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We (Milltek BMW's) think this will be a good thing for everyone. We have the same ideals and goals as the CTCRC and the partnership will help secure our long term future.

Having said that, given the rate of new driver introductions we're seeing, the long term furture is looking pretty good anyway

The Pre-93 series provides an ideal race for a second entry on the day which is something we've always tried to achieve. Regretably, this means we won't be on the same calendar as the BMWRDC/Kumho BMW Championship but we are still eligable to enter their races.

Baz, I hope you can make it to a few rounds next year.

Al, you're thinking of the Kumho BMW Championship I think. We've only been around since 2004. The paddock may look a bit repetitive but racing is very close and spectators like that too!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1450518)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam22
The paddock may look a bit repetitive but racing is very close and spectators like that too!
There's an estate thrown in for variety amongst all the saloons - what more do you need?

As you say the racing is always close, it's also quite often sideways and has been known to be upside down
Old 2 Nov 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1450768)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I was thinking of Kumho Liam, how is it there are two one manufacture championships/series going? Sounds a bit OTT. It is just me anyhow I always had a downer on on make stuff and Dennis, do not BMW do a nice V8 and a V12!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1450824)   #10
davemullender
Rookie

davemullender should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kumho (BMWRDC) = Lots of different types of BMWs with varied power (classes based on PtoW), if you like your variety (albeit all BMWs) then this is your thang.

Milltek BMW Challenge = Tail-end happy BMW E30 318 and 320 only (tourers, 4 doors and 2 doors) all in one class, good grids and only a few seconds between first and last so the racings always close throughout the field. Novices not only welcomed but encouraged and a championship setup very much with the words 'budget' and 'safety' at the top of the list.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1450828)   #11
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kumho is the longer running series, there's a few classes in that based on power-to-weight ratio, iirc; one of those was for Milltek eligible BMWs.

The Milltek series was started for '04 by the Lotus owner's club as a way to race without messing up their pride and joys - loads of E30s about so cheap and plentiful parts - only 318s and 320s allowed, I think. First year was mainly at Lydden, this year has had more away days, and has by all accounts generated a lot of interest. Very different from the £££s at the front of Kumho.

I've only seen the series a couple of times, but the racing has been clean and close. Proper grass roots success story stuff.

edit - beaten to it! Will have to see about that touch-typing course.....
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1450832)   #12
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the Miltek series come about as the SELOC people wanted to race something without bending their Lotuses (Loti?), with some of them being eligible for the Kumho races as well.

Edit : also beaten to it !!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1450851)   #13
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, seriously considered the BMW V8 for my kit car. Nice piece of engineering.

Wimped out of having to lengthen the car four inches!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1450871)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I have a completly reconed 305 small block with new everything plus 4 speed manual trans I may stick in an unfnished kit car if I can find one worth the dosh. My mate has a Viper kitcar he has built with Corvette chassis and running gear but the silly man stuck in an auto trans and spoilt it a bit especially as he is finding it impossible to set up the fuel injection as the thing keeps wanting to kick down on the rollers! I may make him an offer for the TPI injection set up and put on my black Camaro if I like the regs for the pre-93's Stacy is talking about.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1450891)   #15
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure I'll get to see the BeeEmms somewhere...can feel a feature for a mag coming on somewhere!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1451336)   #16
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully we'll see a few more new championships at combe in 2006 would be good if both did go there in 2006?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1451940)   #17
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
We used to run with the BMW's in the ModProds a while back, alright I guess but I am not a lover of one make or one model championships myself.
Al do you still have the yellow BMW ? We raced against you at Lydden last year, there's even a photo on the Semsec website of me (blue Mini) ahead of Liam and you http://www.semsec.org.uk/mdachallenge.html

Minicross started the same as the Milltek Bmw's at Lydden and moved onto race with BARC at Silverstone this year.

A question for Al, Dave and Liam, how much does it roughly cost, to buy/build a car to championship regs ? My Mini unfortunitely got destroyed at Lydden beginning of the year and I had to rebuild another one (Marlboro colours now). We are looking at various different circuit based series for next year.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1452079)   #18
Liam22
Rookie

Scott, I you're thinking of Alan Wileman (not Al Weyman)

But yes, he still has the yellow BMW and still routinely wins races with it!

A decent Milltek car will cost about £4k whether you buy or build. And a season's consumables is well under a grand.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1452333)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes definitely not me i can only afford to run Chevys :-) I used to know Alan Wileman though he used to race with us in ModProd not the first time how names have been confused.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1452349)   #20
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Milltek guys - just thought I'd say it's great to see how much you have progressed from your first season as the SELOC BMW Challenge down at Lydden. We miss you down there! How about a visit next year?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1452418)   #21
Liam22
Rookie

Hi Richard

There's a good chance we'll be at Lydden next year, especially as the CTCRC also seem to like it there. Grid size may be a problem though... will have to see if we can solve that.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1453531)   #22
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Liam22]We (Milltek BMW's) think this will be a good thing for everyone. We have the same ideals and goals as the CTCRC and the partnership will help secure our long term future.

Regretably, this means we won't be on the same calendar as the BMWRDC/Kumho BMW Championship but we are still eligable to enter their races.

It is a shame you're not on the Kumho bill next year guys, the championship was all the better for your entries, might come and do some of the CTCRC rounds next year