Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2594503)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pitpass claim Ferrari may have violated the testing. -although not really about that!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39644
http://ferrarif1forum.com/2009/12/05...d-f1-test-ban/

If this is true, this is huge ...
Old 5 Dec 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2594513)   #2
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good. The testing ban is a joke anyway. Come on, they weren't testing anything new for their car obviously, they may or may not have just been testing a driver. I mean, I don't like seeing cheating in F1, but the testing ban is just a completely stupid idea imo.

However, on the other hand, I wouldn't trust PitPass as far as I could throw them, a lot of the time they just post utter *******s
Old 5 Dec 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2594515)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Good. The testing ban is a joke anyway. Come on, they weren't testing anything new for their car obviously, they may or may not have just been testing a driver. I mean, I don't like seeing cheating in F1, but the testing ban is just a completely stupid idea imo.
So cutting costs is a bad idea? Most other series have some form of testing limitation or a near-total ban.

Quote:

However, on the other hand, I wouldn't trust PitPass as far as I could throw them, a lot of the time they just post utter *******s
One thing we agree on.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2594523)   #4
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
So cutting costs is a bad idea? Most other series have some form of testing limitation or a near-total ban.

One thing we agree on.
Yes, they do need to cut costs. But not at the expense of young drivers who deserve time behind the wheel to get them up to speed. First and foremost, F1 is racing and I think a few people are forgetting that.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2594525)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

TGF is not signed to Ferrari as a racing driver though is he? so maybe it was not really a problem to have him drive the F60?
Old 5 Dec 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2594546)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Somewhere out there a small Frenchmen is possibly reading this thread and thinking: Sacre bleu!
Old 5 Dec 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2594551)   #7
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a worry.
Those red cars are teflon coated so nothing sticks.
We've seen it all before.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2594569)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
"alluded to" wont actually stand up in court.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2594571)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
*stirs up controversy*. With Mister Todt in charge they can do what they like.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2594576)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is purely a rumor, is there really anything in it?
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2594581)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Yes, they do need to cut costs. But not at the expense of young drivers who deserve time behind the wheel to get them up to speed. First and foremost, F1 is racing and I think a few people are forgetting that.
I agree the rules need to be done to ensure that young drivers are getting mileage - the rules do include three young driver days at the moment. The principle of a the ban is correct, however I would phrase them differently. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
TGF is not signed to Ferrari as a racing driver though is he? so maybe it was not really a problem to have him drive the F60?
It would still be in violation of the rules though. At the time he was considered for a race seat. They would still acquire useful data for example.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2594582)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So cutting costs is a bad idea? Most other series have some form of testing limitation or a near-total ban
So far, no evidence proved the cost-cutting measures actually worked. Teams have their budgets and if they can't spend it optimally, they will spend it near-optimally.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17768.html

As for the secret Ferrari-test, more evidence is needed. 'One witness equals no witness.'
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2594583)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So, is it a case of wrong helmet, right driver or right helmet, wrong driver?
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2594584)   #14
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Has anyone thought twice about this? What is the possibility that any team, especially Ferrari, were able to run a current F1 car, without someone getting a picture or two of it, at and Mugello at that?

On the other steered conversation, the testing ban is stupid. It is likely costing more money than it is saving.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2594587)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41 View Post
Has anyone thought twice about this? What is the possibility that any team, especially Ferrari, were able to run a current F1 car, without someone getting a picture or two of it, at and Mugello at that?
Well, it's a Ferrari owned circuit in Italy with good security and not a photocopy shop in sight.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2594632)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aaaah... Finally a crontroversy full of conspiracy theories ! I was missing that !
Old 6 Dec 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2594890)   #17
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
I agree the rules need to be done to ensure that young drivers are getting mileage - the rules do include three young driver days at the moment. The principle of a the ban is correct, however I would phrase them differently. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Wow, 3 days? Arn't the FIA being generous?!

Look at what happened to Alguerusari and Grosjean this year, even Badoer. Proof if any where needed that more needs to be done. We can't have guys running around that haven't driven an F1 car in 8 years or guys who have only driven them in straightlines. For one it's dangerous.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2594910)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Wow, 3 days? Arn't the FIA being generous?!

Look at what happened to Alguerusari and Grosjean this year, even Badoer. Proof if any where needed that more needs to be done. We can't have guys running around that haven't driven an F1 car in 8 years or guys who have only driven them in straightlines. For one it's dangerous.
Perhaps the quota isn't enough, but there still needs to be some form of limit. Perhaps only having collective tests, and requiring a fixed percentage of the seat time is used for rookies and reserves would be a logical system.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2594942)   #19
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps the quota isn't enough, but there still needs to be some form of limit. Perhaps only having collective tests, and requiring a fixed percentage of the seat time is used for rookies and reserves would be a logical system.
I think the best solution would be 5-7 tests organised by the FIA for all teams to take part in. The tests would all be in circuits not on the race calendar, and there should be some for of mileage/day limit for current race drivers. It's a simple solution and wouldn't really cost much.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2594954)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Just to ban testing completely was never going to work, as with most things in life a compromise is needed..
Old 6 Dec 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2594959)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I believe that the teams are already in talks with the FIA about doing a few "media friendly" tests during the season.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2594968)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
I think the best solution would be 5-7 tests organised by the FIA for all teams to take part in. The tests would all be in circuits not on the race calendar, and there should be some for of mileage/day limit for current race drivers. It's a simple solution and wouldn't really cost much.
That could work. Circuits I suggest using are Lausitzring, Mugello, Vallelunga, Ricard, Jerez and Estoril (apparently all having 1T licences according to the thread on them). Algarve is a circuit I'd consider giving a GP to, Barcelona could be added to the list if the powers that be were kind enough to drop it from the calendar.

I'd ban current race drivers from driving in the last half of any day's running, and entirely from pre-Christmas tests. The last half given over to rookies rather the first to make it less important if they prang a car.

One of these could be tacked on to the proposed FOTA single launch and have some form of exhibition event tacked on - be it an all-star race or something else.

In-season testing could be brought back, within the European season. Two days at Motorland Aragon wouldn't hurt.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2594970)   #23
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
sounds sensible to me. I remember when they tested at kylami a while back they had massive crowds turn up. You could charge a fiver a ticket, throw in a lunchtime pit walk and autograph session and make it an event. It would bring f1 to new audiences and remove the boring races caused by over familiarity with the track.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2594979)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Sounds good if going to South Africa (for example) would pay for itself. Brno would be far more likely to do that.

Perhaps these collective tests could be filmed for TV purposes. No need to send a full camera crew, just a few in the pits, the on-boards and possibly even a chopper.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2595082)   #25
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we want to get the fans in, how about awarding a medal to the driver with the fastest lap at the end of the test? Keep Bernie happy, makes it a mini competition and means there would be something for the fans to keep track of. Could even limit that to none race drivers, which means young drivers could actually be judged from the outside, rather than all this 'they were running heavy' or 'they gave him a low fuel run at the end'.