View Poll Results: How should a F1 driver race
race with his head 2 10.00%
race with his heart 18 90.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:55 (Ref:366944)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is your idea of a good F1 motor race ?

Ok , heres one ....lets not get into critising drivers names and styles ,

but what is your idea of a good motor race for a Grand Prix ?

Do you like to see a driver drive with his head or his heart ?

do you like to see a good team strategy ,

do you like to see blinding bravery from a driver who may well not finish , but gives it every thing he has ....

as i say , lets not get into driver A is better than driver B ....i just thought it would be interesting to see what different members want to see in a race .
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:58 (Ref:366949)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally , i want to see a driver with total passion for his sport . I want to see someone who gives it everything he has .

a bit like the old days i suppose .
Old 28 Aug 2002, 03:52 (Ref:367116)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: What is your idea of a good F1 motor race ?

You are beginning to sound like the Toyota ad on tv Sato...

What i would like to see is a driver who combines passion, commitment to his team and uses his head.

Success is not an individual effort but a concerted effort. Just imagine the technicians, mechanic and engineers that only get a few hours of sleep daily before the start of any race just to produce the best setup for the car only to be dempened of a good finishing result just because of a certain driver's foolishness. I'm not pointing at any driver here but the driver himself have to think of the team not he's personal glory and hard headed eagerness. There are race strategies that the team's strategist had given thought of for many many hours..... at least appreciate and respect those little people. Not by showing your disapprovement ot disgust when the car dosen't work or breaks down in the middle or at the start of the race.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 06:08 (Ref:367140)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
That BATTLE at Dijon is the best example, and the intresting thing about that race was that the winner actually didn't really "feature" in "THE BATTLE".
Old 28 Aug 2002, 06:22 (Ref:367143)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Juke , i was just interested to see what everyone wanted to see in a F1 race ...we all seem to have different views on lots of things here, so i thought it would be a good place for us to say what we want to see in a F1 race ?, thats all .

Valve ..have to agree with the Dijon example , as that was real motorracing yet in the end it had nothing to do with actually winning a race .
Old 28 Aug 2002, 07:01 (Ref:367161)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Sato..the first part was meant to be a joke and the second part was my opinion. Didn't mean to make you feel offended...besides i never had that intention when i first replied.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 07:17 (Ref:367169)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
thats ok Juke ...no offense taken at all.

One of the reasons i started this thread is that maybe we are all looking for different things out of a race. ie...James Allen always seemed to get more excitment out of what Stratagy Ross Brawn was thinking up for Michael than maybe what was happening on the track . I suppose it would be boring if we all thought the same things .
Old 28 Aug 2002, 07:29 (Ref:367177)   #8
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Sato...i agree with you but then at this stage of the season, Ferrari's strategy would be to let both of them race on their free will or let Ruben wins races so that he'll secure the 2nd spot for the WDC.

One thing for sure...i'm not questioning Montoya's driving attitute or manner, but sometimes i see him as thinking of himself rather than achieving his supposed goal of finishing races without jeapordizing or probable DNF with the most points he could secure. IMO that is...
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:50 (Ref:367350)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My ideal race continues to be the 1979 Long Beach race. That was when men were men and cars were cars --- as opposed to today when men are boys/robots and cars are remote control.

Jean Alesi is my ideal driver in the modern era. Put him in a car that was not a remote control robot car and he'd have won all the championships TGF "won" and we would have enjoyed seeing it.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:13 (Ref:367416)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think the question should be...would we rather see a race full of "JPM vs Kimi at Germany" wheel to wheel stuff, or Hungary?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:16 (Ref:367417)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OR a Kimi vs Pablo wheel to wheel at Hungary?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:19 (Ref:367421)   #12
Warrior21
Rookie

Warrior21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's always One11
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:24 (Ref:367425)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
OR a Kimi vs Pablo wheel to wheel at Hungary?
of course......i was going to mention this but thought that the whole thread would be hijacked as to who's fault it all was etc so i didn't bother! O well
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:26 (Ref:367431)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh well, since the alternative was "or Hungary" I wanted to point out that actually I wouldn'ty mind a Hungary full of wheel-to-wheel battles.....
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:48 (Ref:367453)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Re: What is your idea of a good F1 motor race ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Ok , heres one ....lets not get into critising drivers names and styles ,

but what is your idea of a good motor race for a Grand Prix ?

as i said......lets not get into drivers etc..........just interesting to see what we all enjoy in a motor race .

Last edited by Sato san; 28 Aug 2002 at 13:49.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 15:21 (Ref:367517)   #16
Aussiefan

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
That was when men were men and cars were cars --- as opposed to today when men are boys/robots and cars are remote control.
So todays drivers are 'boys' and 'robots' because technology has progressed since the 70's?

Old 28 Aug 2002, 15:23 (Ref:367519)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania

Yes Aussiefan, it's their fault!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:13 (Ref:367549)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to call that "progress" -- it's the same as calling it "progress" that nobody can do mental arithmetic any more, since someone has invented calculators. (And incidentally, if you can't do mental arithmetic, how do you know the answer you get on the calculator is correct?)

I have had the same discussion with a friend of mine who bought a Hammond Organ for his home which can be programmed to make him sound like Virgil Fox without his actually having to learn to play the organ. To those who don't know anything about playing the organ, my friend's computerized music sounds exactly the same as that which Virgil Fox spent a lifetime learning to do without computers. But it is most assuredly and definitely not the same thing to anyone who knows anything about musical technique.

And if you think the drivers of today who can only prattle the party line off pre-written index cards are as entertaining as James Hunt, Mario Andretti, Jacques Lafitte, Gilles Villeneuve, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet, who could and did speak candidly for themselves, then I just feel sorry for all you have missed.

"Progress", I believe, means that something has been improved. My belief is that the modern Formula One is NOT an improvement, therefore it is not progress.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:25 (Ref:367556)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussiefan

So todays drivers are 'boys' and 'robots' because technology has progressed since the 70's?
Have to say that Niki Lauda struggled in the Jaguar that is supposedly easier to drive!

Last edited by Mr V; 28 Aug 2002 at 16:25.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:26 (Ref:367557)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

And if you think the drivers of today who can only prattle the party line off pre-written index cards are as entertaining as James Hunt, Mario Andretti, Jacques Lafitte, Gilles Villeneuve, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet, who could and did speak candidly for themselves, then I just feel sorry for all you have missed.

".
Liz.....here here !

F1 is still very good though

Last edited by Sato san; 28 Aug 2002 at 16:31.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:43 (Ref:367562)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
of course Niki lauda struggled in the Jaguar...he is a old man who hasnt raced for years .

Personally , i think some drivers nowadays get better results with the gizmo's available now .......where if they had been driving with a Wiliiams Honda from 1986/87 ? which could get wheelspin on a straight in 6th gear at 180MPH .....i think these drivers would struggle......

not all drivers though , some of todays crop would excel with these cars .....not gonna say any names....as i dont want to start another war .
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:22 (Ref:367591)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's say that I prefer Gilles Villeneuve before Ralf Schumacher, for example.

If I was a racer (I can only be in F1 2002 though) I'd go for the win ALWAYS, even if I knew it was impossible. And I'd try superhard at starts because in current F1 the starts are very important.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:27 (Ref:367596)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
There are obviously better drivers from the '80's era in comparison, but there are also better drivers from todays era! There are proberbly as many boys today as there were back in yesteryear! Drvers today do have to toe the party line, which is unfortunate, and thankfully we have the likes of JPM, Eddie and Jacques how do speak their minds, but guys who are quiet and don't speak their minds, and i'm thinking of Kimi, Massa and Sato in particular here are just as exiting on the track as those guys that everyone seems to fondly look upon through rose tinted specs!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:55 (Ref:367626)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Re: What is your idea of a good F1 motor race ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
What i would like to see is a driver who combines passion, commitment to his team and uses his head.
Same goes for me - drivers who race entirely with their hearts are exciting to watch, but then they look completely foolish when they fall off. On the other hand, drivers who use their heads and are more conservative on the track are dull to watch but are bringing the car home and, in some cases, getting points and/or podiums.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Aug 2002, 18:00 (Ref:367629)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's say the good thing would be 80% heart and 20% head, so the driver would never be dull but would not risk it at every lap.