Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1273987)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nine F1 Teams to boycott FIA meeting

Following the meeting held by the FIA in January 2005, where the ten constructors competing in F1 were invited to attend, but only Ferrari attended, the next meeting of the constructors was scheduled for 15 April 2005.

However, as reported by the Malaysian Star, it appears that Ferrari will again be the only attendee as the other nine teams have got together and agreed to boycott the meeting. According to BAR-Honda's Nick Fry:

Quote:
No one is going to attend the meeting with Max [on April 15], and there will be a press release to say that. We have a great alignment between the nine teams and the five manufacturers ... with each of the teams reporting positive progress and a good endorsement of what is going to happen.

But this work will take a couple of months to complete. We are still heading towards our schedule of having something which we will be pleased to share with the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone probably around July-August time.
The full story is here

I was a little hesitant in putting this thread up, only because I haven't yet seen it reported elsewhere, but the article quotes Nick Fry speaking to Autosport/Atlas, so if somebody has a subscription to that site, perhaps you can have a look for us and confirm this story?

If this is the case, then it would seem that Bernie's attempt to smooth things over after the Australian Grand Prix controversy engendered by Minardi and the FIA with the teams at Malaysia and Bahrain didn't go over so well. Not to mention that the out-of-court settlement between Bernie's company and the banks apparently saw Bernie concede quite a lot of ground to the banks.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1274003)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say i'm disappointed with this latest developement.

Every sports have it's fair share of politics in modern days, but politics should never overtake the sporting spectacle.

If the 9 teams need more time to formulate and decide on exactly what they want, it is understandable. But i think that it shouldn't stop them from attending, if only just to hear what FIA has to say. Furthermore, Max has extended this offer to the 9 teams, and even if it is not to have any conclusive actions, the fact that the 9 teams could turn up in itself would have been a good step in mending the bridge.

I find this bickering ultimately tiring and of little value for everyone of us fans except the few of the Ron-likes. I do wish they can end it and find a reasonable and just solution.

But it's hard when you consider the big egos at stake.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1274047)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's being discussed here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67641

I agree the whole thing is frustrating.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out for the best, but it has a few months to run yet.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1274068)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Very silly not good for the sport..So political F1
Old 9 Apr 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1274189)   #5
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And those teams accuse Ferrari of destroying the sport?
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1274217)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ferrari and every other team are playing their part in this silly mess.

It really isn't on. Everyone has been acting like children for the best part of 7 or 8 months and it's pretty boring now. I'm certainly fed up with it.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1274223)   #7
Marlboro man
Rookie

I agree, but the point I want to make is that all the teams are looking out for their own interest. Ferrari is always the bad guy in the media and that's not correct. The fact that nine teams have similar interests doen't mean Ferrari has to be wrong. Ferrari is just looking out for their interest, like the other teams do.
A testing ban would hit Ferrari more than the other teams because they are the only significant team for Bridgestone who can put down a serious amount of testing.

Sorry for my English, It's my second language.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1274226)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your English is fine Marlboro man!

Yep, obviously everyone is looking for what's best for themselves and that always ends up causing conflicts of interest and thus we have the current tedious political mess. I guess it will always be like this, although usually to a far lesser degree than recent months.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1274233)   #9
Marlboro man
Rookie

I agree, I think the constructors should just buy the shares from the banks.

Last edited by Marlboro man; 9 Apr 2005 at 20:09.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1274236)   #10
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Your English is fine Marlboro man!
Thanks, in the Netherlands I grew up with a lot of American and British TV series so I know the language. But sometimes I'm not quite sure.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1274318)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"constructors should just buy the shares from the banks"

Wouldn't that be a huge disadvantage to any new teams, or even manufacturers, who may eventually join? If they have to buy hugely-priced shares in order to compete, it's more likely to put them off.

May also set off arguments that those who can only afford a smaller share might only ever get a much smaller say in the proceedings of things... I'm thinking of Jordan/Midland and Minardi when I say that. I'd say Sauber too but they seem to have possible strong ties with BMW now.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1274507)   #12
Marlboro man
Rookie

Of couse it takes a lot of money to buy, but as team you also have a huge income, seeing what Bernie does with only 25 percent.
This way teams own Formula One themselves.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1274559)   #13
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Could the thinking be that if they don't attend they are not bound by any matters arising from the meeting or is it the fact that other teams really don't like all the extra testing that Ferrari are doing.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1274560)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is the end of F1.

Teams participate in F1. Not to own F1.

What happens if Man U, Chealsea and Arsenal decides to own EPL?

Or that sportsmen chip their money in to buy commercial and holding rights of Olympics?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1274567)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Up until this point, the likes of Renault, Toyota, Williams and Mclaren run equal, if not slightly more or less, testing mileage as Ferrari...its just a matter of WHEN.

There is hardly a good reason why the 9 teams can't send a representative to hear what the FIA has to say. No body is binding them on a definite solution, it is just a meeting to sought out the opinions of various teams and members.

One reason i can think of is that of "unity". The 9 teams need to meet just to consolidate what their "new series" are doing, and plan whether or not to attend the meeting.

This is a sign of the foundation of their unity. A few teams like Mclaren and Minardi and BAR are actively working on the new project, while there are other teams who are just in there making up the numbers just because they feel it's unfair in F1, not because they truly believe in the new series.

i suspect that the only thing that binds the 9 team is the opposition to anything "FiA" or "Ferrari". The worry is that the "foundation" of unity would be exposed if they attend the meeting and end up having contradictions and contrast of ideas between the 9 teams surface.

Hence, to stay away from the FIA meeting is the only move they can do to shelter themselves and buy themselves some time.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1274568)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
What happens if Man U, Chealsea and Arsenal decides to own EPL?

To an extent they do - the clubs are all share/franchise holders
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1274574)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

double post...darn

Last edited by Gt_R; 10 Apr 2005 at 11:22.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1274575)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

But they don't own it in the sense that the 5 manufacturers want to OWN F1, do they?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1274601)   #19
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
That is the end of F1.

Teams participate in F1. Not to own F1.
Teams already are share holders. The FIA makes the rules, if the teams own more shares, that doesn't mean they would have an advantage.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1274704)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro man
I agree, but the point I want to make is that all the teams are looking out for their own interest. Ferrari is always the bad guy in the media and that's not correct. The fact that nine teams have similar interests doen't mean Ferrari has to be wrong. Ferrari is just looking out for their interest, like the other teams do.
A testing ban would hit Ferrari more than the other teams because they are the only significant team for Bridgestone who can put down a serious amount of testing.

Sorry for my English, It's my second language.
And teams like Williams and McLaren will have an advantage if testing would be restricted. These teams have invested a lot in advanced simulation technology. Ferrari hasn't, because it had the possibility to test as much as they wanted.