Old 14 Feb 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1225520)   #1
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Magazine?

What people thoughts about F1 magazine?

I've only bought it a few times as i'm not really a big fan of F1 but when I have I find it to be a very good read with worthwhile features.

Is it needed with Autosport aswell? Should Autosport cut down some of its F1 coverage?
Old 14 Feb 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1225568)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you mean F1 Racing?

It sells well and makes a profit, likewise Autosport - so clearly there is room for them both.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1225578)   #3
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
[QUOTE=Kicking-back]Do you mean F1 Racing?
[QUOTE]

Yeah thats the one.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1225635)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It has fabulous photography.

In an ideal world, F1 Racing would be totally made up of pictures and Autosport almost entirely made up of text.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1225656)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to get it 5 years a go when it was £3.50, now it's on the verge of £4, far to much for just a magazine, even though it's monthly.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1225902)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely £4 now is essentially no more expensive in real terms than £3.50 five years ago?
Old 15 Feb 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1226054)   #7
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that the photography is great but for €6 or thereabouts, I think I'll stick to Motorsport News and Autosport
Old 15 Feb 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1226089)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Surely £4 now is essentially no more expensive in real terms than £3.50 five years ago?
No. I'm not getting paid anymore than I was 5 years a go, so there is a difference, so there is my reason.

Quote:
I used to get it 5 years a go when it was £3.50, now it's on the verge of £4, far to much for just a magazine, even though it's monthly.

Last edited by luke; 15 Feb 2005 at 12:05.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1226101)   #9
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only get it occasionally, some of the features are pretty good - they had a really good one on Carlos Reutemann a few years ago if I remember correctly. However, it does seem to assume rumours are facts a bit too often for my liking... The photography is excellent though!
Old 15 Feb 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1226103)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a subscription to F1 Racing since the start of 1998.

Their love affair with Schumacher M can be abit much, and towards the end of last year i had decided not to renew my subscription this until, but the last couple of editions last year were quite interesting and convinced me to give it another go this year.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1226165)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Is that the British version, racer69, or a special Australian edition?
Old 15 Feb 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1226210)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I can imagine the Australian editorial meetings...

"Who shall we put on the cover this month? Webber?"

"No, he's been on for the last 6 months, let's go with Stoddy."

At least that's more choice than the Spanish edition.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1226252)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
I can imagine the Australian editorial meetings...

"Who shall we put on the cover this month? Webber?"

"No, he's been on for the last 6 months, let's go with Stoddy."

At least that's more choice than the Spanish edition.
Haha!

Try being an American subscriber! I'm sure the editorial meetings here are really tension filled, and held into the late hours, with all that we have to debate about! The covers over here are left blank!

Very expensive, but its filled with information, sometimes its abit overwhelming, and great pictures.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1226360)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One downside to F1 Racing is the actual writers involved.

Peter Windsor takes every article as an opportunity to kiss Schueys bottom.

Matt Bishop is an arrogant man indeed (especially in his letters for us subscribers). He also seems to hate a driver one month and then hail him as the next-great-thing the next month!

Anthony Rowlinson seems to lower his good level of Autosport writing to a low level for F1 Racing.

However, you do get a lot of guest writers such as Brundle and these can be very interesting.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1226463)   #15
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This months issue is enjoyable but there is a piece which dismisses Hiedfeld as a challenge to Webber and criticises his recent driving (blatently ignoring his performances in the Jordan) which just annoyed the hell out of me. It was only a small piece but enough to lower my opinion of the journalist.

Good article on the state of the FIA and Ferrari this month however.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1226506)   #16
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
I defiantly agree with the photography, suberb.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 01:01 (Ref:1226731)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Is that the British version, racer69, or a special Australian edition?
It says on the front of each issue "Australian Edition", complete with the Aussie flag. From what i can tell though it is just the Englsih edition with a slightly different cover.

We do have a column from Mark Webber in there, and previously a column from Aussie journalist Peter McKay, but that was as far as the Australian element of the mag went.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1226754)   #18
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not bought it for about a year, don't see the point paying out for it when I already subscribe to Autosport, and I'm into a lot racing besides F1. To me it seemed to go a bit downhill, too many "lifestyle" features, and a lot of (albeit great) photos taking up most of the page with little info.

It may not be like that now, but as I said there's more to racing than F1 to me, so I don't really bother.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1226951)   #19
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Not bought it for about a year, don't see the point paying out for it when I already subscribe to Autosport, and I'm into a lot racing besides F1.
Thats exactly how I feel.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1227567)   #20
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think F1 Racing can be very hit or miss. I actually quite like some of the lifestyle bits in it, and any Peter Windsor article that isn't about Michael Schumacher is usually very good, especially when he dissects a driver's technique. Only Mark Hughes' bit in Autosport ever did something similar.

Matt Bishop either loves or hates a driver, his favoured term being 'wretched' at the moment, but all the same I'd never miss an issue!

By the way, anyone have an e-mail address for Peter Windsor??