Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2003, 19:52 (Ref:695945)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Coulthard's at it again

From F1live.com:

I really feel very positive about next season because the MP4-18 is showing significant steps forward," said Coulthard. "By the time we race it, it will be the MP4-19 and I really think McLaren will take a big step forward next year."

He added: "I think in many ways I have more optimism and excitement for the start of next year than I had this year. Because we knew we were starting with the 17 and it was always going to be we were starting with an updated old car. You might just have to write that British world champion headline that you have been saving up for years and years."

Oh boy , I know its a cliche, but really, does he have to say that next year is his year *every* year...

To his credit, he does admit later in the article that he knows he's been underachieving..

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 22 Aug 2003 at 19:54.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:44 (Ref:696015)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the earliest the this-year-my-year stories have ever been out...has news really been that slow lately?

To his credit? Everyone can see he has been underachieving...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:58 (Ref:696026)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, what do you want him to say.

"I suck. I cannot possibly win the title and I wish I could have sex with Michael."

He is naturally an optimist and I would rather have that type of person in my car than the guy who says I hope we can win or we don't have a chance unless everybody falls off the track.
Never forget #99
Old 22 Aug 2003, 21:08 (Ref:696031)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah, KC, it would be refreshing to hear him say that... lets face it - its the truth. Well, 'cept, possibly for the sex with Michael stuff...

Seriously though. How about "I'll do my best and we'll see next year." ?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 22 Aug 2003 at 21:10.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 21:15 (Ref:696040)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
Well, what do you want him to say.

I'd prefer him to say nothing, that way, he's not (publicly) setting himself up for a big fall!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 23:52 (Ref:696111)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Very Indicheadtive

Let's just have another look at that article - here's DC moaning about this year's car, and his team mate driving presumably the same car is fighting for the championship. How good does that make DC look?

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 22 Aug 2003 at 23:55.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 00:09 (Ref:696114)   #7
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe McLaren are keeping that bum for another season. Cool-tard has underperformed his whole career and just proves that top drives have nothing to do with driving ability (i.e. Ralf, DC, Rubens)
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 00:21 (Ref:696116)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Coulthard bashing is getting a little old people...
Old 23 Aug 2003, 00:28 (Ref:696120)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes KC-he should say nothing or the truth..."i have no right being in f1,i blow big time-furthermore any driver you could mention would blow me away!"

And rhubins.."yes i want to win the WDC but honestly i don't think i could give michael any trouble"

Also ralf..."Hey,i'm faster than montoya!Just look at how i easily beat every year at contract renewal time!!!
Besides,they can't replace me because i am german and the sponsors want me"
Old 23 Aug 2003, 01:08 (Ref:696135)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But see the problem they face, all the teams have told sponsors they will win the next year, so if the driver says he cant win, the team has to take him round the back of the sheds and show him what for.

Can DC win the WDC? Perhaps not now the team focus is not on him. Can he win races? If the circumstances are right.

Its a similar story thru the rest of the field though
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Aug 2003, 01:22 (Ref:696139)   #11
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People are always complaining about drivers with no personality like Robotkkinen, and also how JVil needs to be in F1 because he tells it like it is, even though he ends up sounding about as good as the Honda engine blowing up.

DC should know this better than anyone else since he has been doing it for most of his career: It doesn't matter if McLaren gives you a car that is 4 secs a lap faster than anyone else if you can't keep up with your teammate.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 04:37 (Ref:696182)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Problem with DC is that he has too many off days.When he is on form he is as good as anybody but DC lacks the
consistency to become champion.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 09:05 (Ref:696259)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Coulthard's at it again

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
From F1live.com:

I really feel very positive about next season because the MP4-18 is showing significant steps forward," said Coulthard. "By the time we race it, it will be the MP4-19 and I really think McLaren will take a big step forward next year."

He added: "I think in many ways I have more optimism and excitement for the start of next year than I had this year. Because we knew we were starting with the 17 and it was always going to be we were starting with an updated old car. You might just have to write that British world champion headline that you have been saving up for years and years."

Oh boy , I know its a cliche, but really, does he have to say that next year is his year *every* year...

To his credit, he does admit later in the article that he knows he's been underachieving..
Well, in this article he doesn't say next year will be his year.

He doesn't say he will do better next year than he did during this year so far.

He just says that he thinks next years car will do better.

I can understand why Coulthard gets another chance. Remember, he hasn't been beaten by a team mate yet this century.

What would have happened if McLaren would have fired Hakkinen every year he was beaten by his team mate?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 10:32 (Ref:696309)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didi you miss - "You might just have to write that British world champion headline that you have been saving up for years and years." :confused:
Old 23 Aug 2003, 13:29 (Ref:696527)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Exactly Damon... I was *only* going to quote that sentence, but I feared that DC fans would say I took it out of context.

I wonder how Ronnie feels after seeing DC's performance today?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 13:43 (Ref:696547)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: Coulthard's at it again

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Remember, he hasn't been beaten by a team mate yet this century.

In 2000 he was beaten by Mika, and since you're not British, it counts as this century.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 13:46 (Ref:696552)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
I wonder how Ronnie feels after seeing DC's performance today?
It was lacklustre at best wasn't it?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 18:09 (Ref:696723)   #18
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens a poor driver? Umm, hello? Heeey, Hello? You paying attention at silverstone? brazil? Maybe asleep watching todays qualifying? Austria last year?

Ralf also has been performing pretty damn well of late. Until last race, he was the major hope for a title fight. DC's the only one really letting a top team down at the moment. Perhaps Trulli too.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 19:17 (Ref:696760)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You guys will all be eating crow and large portions of humble pie next season when DC wins the WDC.
Its going to happen for him,I can feel it in my bones.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:08 (Ref:696782)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can feel it too!

Oh wait...
Oh, it's just indigestion...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 23 Aug 2003 at 20:11.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:25 (Ref:696790)   #21
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It must be a concussion driving his delusions...what other explanation is there, Hes still talking about the 18?have we as the public heard anyhthing about it in what, two months?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:30 (Ref:696794)   #22
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Did you miss - "You might just have to write that British world champion headline that you have been saving up for years and years." :confused:
Yes.
When I read it this morning, I thought he was still talking about the current season.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:34 (Ref:696796)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Coulthard's at it again

Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
In 2000 he was beaten by Mika, and since you're not British, it counts as this century.
I may not be British, but as far as I know 2000 was the last year of the 20st century in the entire world.

Unless you think that the first 2 years of the first century should be 1 BC and 1 AD?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:52 (Ref:696810)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

That's how it is in Bri... oh wait that's a protestant idea...
And Holland is/was primarily protestant too.

Ah, it makes sense now.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:55 (Ref:696811)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Didi you miss - "You might just have to write that British world champion headline that you have been saving up for years and years." :confused:
So in fact this means he said: There is a possibility that next year might be my year.

Nothing wrong with that. Everybody who is driving for one of the top teams is supposed think that there's at least a possibility that he might win.