Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 25 Apr 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2449568)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rfactor on Vista issue

I'm posting here because I'm tearing my hair out with a particular problem with Rfactor on Vista. It seems that it doesn't recognise I have an internet connection.

For one thing I can't get a race list. I just get a 'Matchmaker did not respond error'. More subtle is the fact that when I used to run the game I'd see a bit of activity on my cable modem lights on startup. Now nothing happens.

I've been googling on and off about the problem for a while but can't seem to find anything. Its driving me nuts. I can ping 'match.rfactor.net' from the command line just fine.

It worked when I first installed for a couple of weeks, the only thing I can think of is a Windows Update, but surely that would have broken other things. All the other games I have which make use of the internet are just fine. I've uninstalled/reinstalled Rfactor, but interestingly it didn't ask for my activation code.

I'm all out of ideas. Anyone??
Old 26 Apr 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2449658)   #2
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but interestingly it didn't ask for my activation code.
It shouldn't ask for it either. When you uninstall rFactor it does not remove the registration data from the registry.

Checked the firewall?
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2449757)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have the firewall disabled on my box as my router handles all that. The problem just happens with Rfactor, nothing else.

For the first couple of weeks after I initially installed it worked fine, then suddenly stopped. I'm at a complete loss.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2450182)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
The first time you loaded it up, Vista should have asked you if your wanted to allow it to access the internet. Did this not happen?
Old 27 Apr 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2451084)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Well its taken nearly six months on and off to solve it, but I finally have!

After a lot of googling it was a windows update which screwed it. It affected IE7 (which I don't use so wouldn't notice) but also has seemed to affect Rfactor. I've removed it from my system and it now works!

Old 28 Apr 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2451559)   #6
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a ridiculous situation. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2452073)   #7
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
Well its taken nearly six months on and off to solve it, but I finally have!

After a lot of googling it was a windows update which screwed it. It affected IE7 (which I don't use so wouldn't notice) but also has seemed to affect Rfactor. I've removed it from my system and it now works!

Which update did you have to remove? I don't run rFactor at the moment but if I do I'd like to know which update to remove. TIA.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2452390)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Its update KB947864. I run 32-bit Vista so not sure if the issue affects 64-bit.
Old 2 May 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2454091)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might possible be a problem why I cant get TCL to work then?

It works fine and I have followed this troubled mod for many weeks now without success online

The new 1.1 version does not even download from RFC so seems it might be an issue on Vista maybe>
Old 5 May 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2455570)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have Vista and run TCL 1.0 without drama, I wonder if it's safe to go to TCL 1.1.
Old 5 May 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2455713)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Might possible be a problem why I cant get TCL to work then?

It works fine and I have followed this troubled mod for many weeks now without success online

The new 1.1 version does not even download from RFC so seems it might be an issue on Vista maybe>
If the problem is just with one mod then it won't be the same problem I had. I completely reinstalled Rfactor about three times. On the last attempt I decided to delete my license key and reactivate as a last resort.

It was then I discovered the wider issue. Even the activation screen wouldn''t recognise my internet connection which I noticed was effectively just a cut down browser window. So then I tried IE7 just to check and found I couldn't get any webpages up on it, even though the IE7 connection wizard told me I was already connected to the internet. Thats when I changed my search terms on Google and finally got somewhere.