Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the better driver?
Felipe Massa 21 26.92%
Kimi Räikkönen 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Aug 2007, 08:35 (Ref:1998204)   #1
stido
Racer

stido should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari - Who is the better driver?

I wanted to do a poll up for this, but i couldnt find the option to make one.

Just a question regarding this years lineup. Who in your opinion is the better ferrari driver. Kimi Raikkonen or Felipe Massa!

Ill start. I feel Kimi has more hunger to win. His retirements have hurt him alot this season, but that is a ferrari fault, Not driver.

Either way a great lineup
Old 28 Aug 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1998227)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi will do better next season, Felipe has an advantage this year because he knows the team and the car better.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1998237)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I've always thought Raikkonen was the better driver, and I still do. I think Massa has had the advantage this year from already being bedded in at the team, not to mention having Schumacher around to help him out. That can't have been a good situation for Raikkonen to be in, having the guy he replaced hanging over his shoulder all the time (his results did improve somewhat when Michael stopped attending races...). Raikkonen also seems to have suffered more with car failures, and if it wasn't for those I think he'd probably be above Massa in the championship.

I think next season, as long as Ferrari don't decide to go back to choosing one driver to favour over the other, we'll see much more from Raikkonen.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Aug 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1998292)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a bit unfair there is no poll option here. If this goes to, say, three pages, no-one is going to trawl through and tally up all the responses just to get an idea of the result to the question.

I still think Raikkonen has more pace than Massa, but Massa is impressing me more and more. He often seems slightly poor at coming through the field though.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1998309)   #5
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
It's a bit unfair there is no poll option here. If this goes to, say, three pages, no-one is going to trawl through and tally up all the responses just to get an idea of the result to the question.
If you need a poll, all you need to do is get in contact with a mod.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1998332)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Life is unfair and the injustices are explained in the FAQ
I was tempted to add a third driver, but then the question isn't who is the best driver at Ferrari?
Old 28 Aug 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1998373)   #7
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm. I voted Raikkonen...although I'm thinking I might have made the wrong choice!

Raikkonen is definitely the man over one lap, although Massa is definitely getting the job done when luck doesn't seem to be running against him. As others have pointed out it will be interesting to see what happens next year once Kimi is more settled within the team - and whether Felipe will get a pay rise should he get the WDC!
Old 28 Aug 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1998382)   #8
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i know is Heidfeld is better than both of them
Old 28 Aug 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1998386)   #9
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Raikkonen takes it on raw talent. Massa is the product of a quiet afternoon in the potting shed for Michael Schumacher - and not a bad mould of a racing driver he's turned out to be... But he's no Kimi.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1998389)   #10
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vote Kimi, I've been impressed with his speed since I've been a fan of his(although, it wasn't his speed that drew me to him, he had a cool name! ), and I beleive he is a superior driver.

Notice, I said driver - I think Massa is more in the Alonso mould, not quite as quick as Kimi, but a smarter raced probably.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1998409)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
We will know the answer to this qeustion on the 21st of October..
Old 28 Aug 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1998428)   #12
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really think this year's results are at all any reflection on who is the better driver. Massa has had a WAY bigger advantage amidst the many changes Kimi has faced - and even when Kimi won the first race he was saying how he wasn't particularly comfortable with the car...namely because of the bridgstones...never mind the fact Massa was already embedded into the team!

I think Massa is a very well "refined" driver...he wasn't very good, but he's a very hard worker and has really relentlessly tried to learn from others to improve himself...you gotta give him that.

But a refined driver is not the same as a naturally good driver - and that I think Kimi is. No - a great driver! I'm far from a fan of Kimi's but I do rate him highly. He makes the odd mistake, but that is a combination of his oversteery driving style with the fact he is frighteningly on the limit (he's one of the few drivers who sent a shiver down my spine when driving past me at Silverstone - and I didn't even realise it was Kimi until later!). This isn't the same as Massa's old ragged driving.

Then take into account races; Massa is no newbie anymore, yet he has too often this year lost pole position, and has yet to demonstrate the ability to overtake his main rivals during a race, never mind win the race without being on pole position.

Overall, far too much weighs in Kimi's favour, regardless of what the points say at the end of the season.

Last edited by pottiella; 28 Aug 2007 at 14:34.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1998440)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

That's what I meant...I just didn't put it as well as that.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1998482)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Kimi is quicker but lacks in other areas.

I think Massa is the more diligent worker but has a speed shortcoming.

It kind of balances out over the season I suppose. Well, this one at least.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1998484)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think this is too close to call. My gut tells me that Kimi should be faster, but I haven't seen anything that proves this. Lets just say they are both real fast.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1998494)   #16
pottiella
Veteran

Massa has a speed shortcoming?! He started to match Schumi in the same Ferrari last year...and that Ferrrari was effectively built FOR Schumi! I don't think speed is necessarily the issue...it's more about the "management" of driving - if this is a question of who is the better driver in the true sense of the word.

There is no natural individuality to Massa's driving or way of thinking as a driver...he himself has admitted to trying to follow Michael Schumacher, and be like him. All he does now is get into the car, and drive the car well, knowing now where to get the speed out of the car. But that is as a result of his dilligence...whereas Kimi brings his own to the table: completely Kimi in a car, in a race, and probably not much more.

Being faster doesn't necessarily make a better driver...but while Kimi is fast, it's other things that I feel make him a better driver.

Last edited by pottiella; 28 Aug 2007 at 16:18.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1998509)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shortcoming is a more dramatic word than I require I guess.

I do believe Kimi is slightly faster overall. And I think he has potential to go a lot faster too, he hasn't truly been on it this season.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1998511)   #18
pottiella
Veteran

fair enough...and I quite agree...
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1998515)   #19
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are both as quick as each other overall. Hence, no vote.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1998536)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose the big grey area involves mechanical sympathy. Kimi has had more failures than Massa, and has usually had more failures than his team-mates in the past (even Montoya, who already had a reputation as a car-breaker). Is this just bad luck, or a result of overdriving, or of Massa preparing more and dialling his style into the car, or of the car being (not deliberately) designed in Massa's favour (Massa having modelled himself on Michael somewhat)?

With all that up in the air, it's hard to justify the current 19-5 score in Kimi's favour. Massa may not be as naturally talented, and he was certainly ragged early in his career, but has he now overcome those problems. Once out in front he usually looks unbeatable, although he's made mistakes in traffic. Perhaps neither is as strong as Lewis or Fernando (or Heidfeld?)
Old 28 Aug 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1998545)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Perhaps neither is as strong as Lewis or Fernando
Agreed. I'd probably rate Lewis, Fernando and the two BMW drivers as the top 4 in F1, then the FIAT guys.

Quote:
(or Heidfeld?)
Remember Kubica - a Lewis/Robert driver lineup would probably be the best package, if not now but in 1 or 2 years.

Bear in mind the reliability issue in McLaren - Lewis would have a larger lead if it wasn't for two tyre faliures.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1998594)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
I think this is too close to call. My gut tells me that Kimi should be faster, but I haven't seen anything that proves this. Lets just say they are both real fast.
i guess thats the problem with polls...there is always another option

but i agree with Inigo here. there really isnt anything that has happened this season that puts one over the other. Kimi's superfast, but he cant be faster over one lap if he continually makes mistakes during that lap. my assesment of Ferrari (this season) can also be seen this way...too many small mistakes from everyone for me to have a clear view on who's the better driver.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1998664)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
How come this thread gets a poll and mine doesn't?

Back o/t...

I'm convinced that Kimi isn't the driver he's made out to be. Sure he's strong and fast, but he's prone to errors occasionally. (Monaco quali, Nurburgring race)

Felipe, imo, has had the more bad luck (Canada DSQ, Silverstone start from the pit lane) but is still ahead of Kimi in the table.

Overall, i'd say that Felipe is the better driver. But as i've just said that, i've probably now jinxed his season

Last edited by JeremySmith; 29 Aug 2007 at 00:45.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1998750)   #24
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa has been at Ferarri for a while now and so should be more comfortable there. I will be interested to see next year when both drivers have had more input into the new chassis and when TGF has had less input into the chassis.

Next year will be the real test. If Massa is modelling himself on TGF then I can imagine that he will be trying to build the team around him just like TGF did. Having a relationship with your team like that was probably one of the things that made TGF as good as he was - he had good cars because the team wanted to give him a good car. If Felipe can draw that out from his engineers he should be all over the Iceman next year.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1998777)   #25
stido
Racer

stido should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I class a race driver on their hunger to win.

How often has Kimi taken the fastest lap of the race on the final lap of the race! Hes done it several times this season.

Alonso and Massa are about conserving points. Kimi is a demon and will stop at nothing. He races until the very end of the grand prix. Hence why i reckon he is the better driver