Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Dec 2003, 12:43 (Ref:807420)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
BMMC...What do you want from the club?

Over the years I have heard many marshals ask what the BMMC gives them that they don't get from say the BRSCC, BARC or BRDC etc. Well we all know about the good insurance cover provided we send in our green slips etc, but what else is it YOU would like to see the club doing?

This is a serious question and all answers will be collated and looked at by those on the main committee so lets have your views.

All I ask is that you keep your ideas sensible (those not will be removed) and try to be pro-active. This is a fabulous chance to air your views and in return, hopefully to make the club a better one for all members.

I will start the ball rolling by saying I would like the MSA to take more notice of the BMMC who are the main voice of the Marshal. Could it be that if our membership grew so that the majority of marshals were members, the club would have more 'clout' with organising clubs and the MSA?

Could the BMMC take on the fight to get better trackside working conditions for us?

Right, it's over to you now so make the most of the opportunity to put your views across.

Stephen.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 13:33 (Ref:807463)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Marshals Club generally isn't doing anything WRONG!!
And, as the old saying goes, "You Can't keep Everybody Happy All Of The Time", so there are always going to be little gripes from it's members - myself included!
Maybe I could compare it to being a member of the AA - They're there for me if I have a problem but otherwise it's comforting to know that you're a member....just in case!
My little gripes are important issues to ME but perhaps not to others. EG - newsletters or the lack of them.....committee members soemtimes thinking they're now too important to actually MARSHAL any more. More than likely this is just my perception rather than reality, but it's the kind of thing that occasionally gets up my nose!

Mark
Old 9 Dec 2003, 13:42 (Ref:807471)   #3
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I generally agree Mark, it's easy to nitpick.

My only comment relates to the number of comments about it being hard to get started, see recent thread from JonJ - and I have heard the same from other newcomers - send their application forms in and then don't hear anything. It may just be local problems but newcomers are too hard to get to then lose again. Standard welcome letter/info sheet might help?
Old 9 Dec 2003, 15:07 (Ref:807549)   #4
Yogi Bear
Rookie

Isle of Man
Up a Gum Tree
Yogi Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the "club" want to know what we want from them then try this, Re-vamp the upgrading process and put it back as it was.
I was "asked" by the club in late Feb or early March if i would re-grade because of a shortage of grey/black X's, So like a fool i said yes. That was then, this is now and i am still waiting for the bloody thing to come through. So if the club want to know why they are losing marshal's hand over fist then they better take a look in there own backyard so to speak. Because if it is taking me nearly twelve months to re-grade and i'm a off course marshal, then someone on circuit must be fed up to the back teeth by now.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 15:11 (Ref:807551)   #5
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been in BMMC for two years now and heard snippets of the green slip insurance. How does it work? What exectly does it cover? http://www.marshals.co.uk/insure.htm this says very little hence have yet to bother with it.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 15:31 (Ref:807563)   #6
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive been back into marshaling for 2 years after a 6/8 year layoff but did 6 years previous to the layoff
they should bring something in where previously experienced marshals shouldnt have to start back at trainee stage i sent my upgrade card in and because i havent done the basic introduction to marshaling they wont upgrade isnt6 years previous and 2years now basic training
so hope they look at something for new incoming previous experienced marshals
Old 9 Dec 2003, 16:08 (Ref:807582)   #7
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One for the members speak to your committee and let them know what you want, your gripes etc.
If you don't talk to them how do they know what you require.
Communication should be both ways.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 18:05 (Ref:807656)   #8
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am quite happy with the club and I appreciate what the volunteers who run it do and they give alot of there time on our behalf. How ever I do not have a complaint or critersisum but I do have some surgestions that might improve things.
1. Make info on things like the Auto Sport Show and how people can help get involed in these type of events more avalible. (Theres been a thread for info on this very subject because theres no info avalible). I would love to get involed but would not know how.
2. A system for new marshals to help them get started and a way that they can progress faster by some new system ?
3. Also an incentive scheme for bringing in new marshals. Some thing like bring 4 people into marshaling and get next years membership free?
4. Also information on the msa's grading scheme. I have had an msa attendance card for a couple of years and nobody can tell my what to do with it. Things like this get peoples backs up because they dont know how important they are and carn't find out what to do with them.
I would happyly pay more for my membership to cover the cost of postage ect so that I am more informed on club matters and event information.
These are just my thoughts and as I say I appreciate what the club does.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 19:19 (Ref:807729)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by tangoed sparky
4. Also information on the msa's grading scheme. I have had an msa attendance card for a couple of years and nobody can tell my what to do with it. Things like this get peoples backs up because they dont know how important they are and carn't find out what to do with them.
Wasn't all that explained at your first training day? You should have been given a copy of the grading manual - if you haven't, go to:

http://www.marshals.co.uk/pdfs/grading.pdf

& download a copy.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 22:20 (Ref:807847)   #10
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
Sorry Dave I did not explane myself very well. The clubs grading system that was passed on to the msa I understand fully, Its the msa's attendance card that nobody seems to know what to do with or were to send. Everbody else that I have spoke to on post tells me to just save them. If they dont use them then what's the point in having them? That's what buggs me because I cannot understand why we have them and the club has never in my knowage told us what to do with them. I was once told that you can not marshall the gp if you dont keep them up to date. Its all bit strange to me and an artical in the marshals post could clear up the confusion.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 00:48 (Ref:807930)   #11
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who hasn't been a member for 20+ years I have to say I haven't missed it. I marshal through BARC, but have not been refused anywhere, and cannot see any compelling reason for joining. The additional insurance is probably useful, but in itself is not that much of an incentive to join.

If the BMMC wants to make itself the pre-eminent marshalling club it needs to make a major impact on the racing scene. As a non member I need to be convinced that joining will give me something that as a non-member I cannot get. I am not criticising the club because I don't know what they do, but as an "outsider" I don't see them doing anything that any other club is not doing.

As long as I can do the meetings I want to do I am a happy marshal, the BMMC have to convince me that joining them will be to my benefit if they want my money!

Last edited by Beardy359; 10 Dec 2003 at 00:50.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 09:43 (Ref:808128)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tangoed sparky
...Its the msa's attendance card that nobody seems to know what to do with or were to send....
It says at the bottom of the your MSA Registration Card (Licence....attendance...)
To return to your Primary Club at the end of the year!
How many of us actually do this?
I don't......don't ever give it a thought.

So, if you're a BMMC member you should return it to them....but who? It's not a grading card so you wouldn't need to bother Bob with it!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 11:00 (Ref:808183)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
From page 6 of the BMMC 'Training & Grading Scheme' booklet:

Retaining Grades

The MSA specifies that in order to maintain a race grade, marshals should attend a minimum of five race meetings a year and satisfactorily perform the duties for which they are graded. They should additionally attend two appropriate training days in any three year period.

There are several points to note with regard to this ruling:
1. It does not apply to marshals who are in the process of upgrading
2. Proof of attendance is gained by obtaining five attendance signatures and the appropriate number of training signatures on your MSA Marshals Record Card - the one that has your photograph on - NOT an Upgrading Card
3. Signatories DO NOT need to be Examining Observers or BMRMC Members
4. Any checking of cards will be carried out by Clubs NOT the MSA.
5. BMRMC members will be informed if their Marshals Record Card is required for checking, so there is NO NEED to automatically send in your card at the end of a season.

The best thing to do is to get five attendance signatures and training signatures as appropriate each year and keep your last two year's cards. The National Council of BMRMC and the National Committee of BRMC reserve the right to take away a grading or downgrade a member if they deem he or she no longer warrants that grade. In all cases of dispute the decision of the national council of BMRMC is final.

So where's the confusion?

Last edited by Dave Brand; 10 Dec 2003 at 11:01.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 13:46 (Ref:808327)   #14
Mr G
Rookie

Mr G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's one thing that I'd like the BMMC (or anyone else) to provide and thats an easier way to volunteer for meetings during the season. You have to know circuit, organising club dates etc. No big problem in itself but wouldn't it be so much easier to visit one website, pick the meeting from a list (preferably showing whats on etc), type in your details and press a button and hey presto 2 weeks before the meeting your tickets arrive on your doorstep. It would save on paperwork, postages and the BMMC competition secretary wouldn't even have to get involved. It could go straight through to the organising club. There's probably a good reason why it can't be done like this but I can't think of it.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 14:04 (Ref:808338)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
There's one thing that I'd like the BMMC (or anyone else) to provide and thats an easier way to volunteer for meetings.... wouldn't it be so much easier to visit one website, pick the meeting from a list....type in your details and press a button and hey presto 2 weeks before the meeting your tickets arrive on your doorstep
Mr G, there IS such a site....
Try www.marshals.org.uk and click on volunteering forms. (The 2004 dates probably won't be there just yet, but bookmark it & keep checking)

Mark

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 10 Dec 2003 at 14:05.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 21:24 (Ref:808689)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's a shame they don't have any info on the BRSCC SE though
Old 11 Dec 2003, 08:24 (Ref:809015)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
It's a shame they don't have any info on the BRSCC SE though
That's easily fixed though!
Get the CM to send the volunteering form/dates to Julian when available and I'm sure he'll sort it!!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 08:47 (Ref:809029)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Some very useful points so far. Keep em coming folks!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 08:48 (Ref:809030)   #19
Mr G
Rookie

Mr G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you observer - I had a feeling that it was too simple an idea not to have been done!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 09:03 (Ref:809035)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Welcome to Ten-Tenths Mr G
Old 11 Dec 2003, 12:46 (Ref:809183)   #21
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about provide us with more information of what IS being done behind the scenes to improve things - even if it does amount to 'We went to a meeting with/at somwhere/someone, had a nice chat and got nothing of benefit.' At least that way we know they're trying to help. I keep hearing rumours, but nothing solid.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 19:53 (Ref:809540)   #22
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
Yes Mr Button I totaly agree with you. Thats what i was trying to say (in my ilicktrick way). More information and being kept more informed would be a big help.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 21:43 (Ref:809618)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
How about provide us with more information of what IS being done behind the scenes
Because if we told you, we'd have to kill you.

Regards

Jim

(Just in case - - That's a joke. Actually I agree with you that might be a good thing in some cases. In others it would destroy the point of having discussions "behind the scenes". )
Old 11 Dec 2003, 23:34 (Ref:809693)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree Jim, there are times when for the sake of expediency things have to be kept in the dark. That doesn't mean they have to be that way forever though.

The one thing I have learnt recently is that there are plenty of people trying to move things that would make a difference to the working conditions for all marshals. The problem is that they are unable to 'crow' about it because it would negate the hard work they have done to date.

Sometimes its a question of 'slowly slowly catchy monkey' as the saying goes, so please bear with us.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 01:13 (Ref:809728)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Easier volunteering would be great. Julian's site is excellent, but it (necessarily) follows the existing methods. I'd love to be able to see a list of meetings by venue (regardless of who organises them) with tick boxes for flag, incident, etc. I don't mind whether it's completed on line or printed and returned somewhere, but I'd love to avoid the nightmare planning by trying to compare all the various forms. I'll tell you how bad that can be. I once volunteered for F3 at Silverstone the same week-end as Minis and Caterhams were at Mallory!

Second, and with the controversy of paid marshals very much upon us, I need to know that they are promoting marshals to the clubs/circuits and particularly the MSA. I'm sure they are, but we can't see it, and when Mr Fearnell's idea makes it to print I start to wonder. Thanks to George for his comments on this site, but I do worry whether the club has the power to actually influence anything.

My enjoyment this year has been enhanced by the number of meetings I've taken the caravan too. I'd love the club to enhance this by lobbying for massive improvements to the facilities, and encouraging organisers, particularly at club meetings, to put on an 'event' on Saturdays. Maybe even the club could organise them? I don't expect free beer and food, merely a venue and invites that include everyone, drivers and teams too. Who knows, maybe it might even happen at F3 and BTCC meetings. We'd love to socialise more, and it could be the key to encouraging more and happier marshals. It may even provide a source of income.

Finally, a more official approach to conditions on the bank - insist the circuits fill holes, repair sharp bits of fencing (I ruined a brand new bodywarmer on one a few years ago at Donington) or other hazards. Most cost nothing to do - clipping wires, shovelling a bit of earth, moving obstructions and the like.

Thanks for the thread, Stephen, I'll shut up now, someone else's turn.