Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:49 (Ref:260062)   #1
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But seriously, what did we witness today?

Reminiscent to most races last year, Michael just takes the pole, starts the race in front and rides into the sunset.
He even lapped DC!

Is this another case of "Is it the car or the driver?"

Some will say it's Michael's brilliance,
others will say "give that car to my driver and things would be different!"
or as many others will say, Both?

Have we just witnessed what we will repeatedly see for the rest of the year?

Has the F2002 finally come here to stay and seriously ass whip all the rest?

I hope not, but I'm not that optimistic either.
I've just been whipp assed and I don't like it.

Dang!!!

Last edited by race aficionado; 14 Apr 2002 at 14:50.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:51 (Ref:260069)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well no-one has beaten the F2002 in a race so far, not bad really!!

But the other teams have got a lot of work to do if they're going to catch Ferrari.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:52 (Ref:260070)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We witnessed nothing as most of us probably fell asleep or turned the bloody thing off!

Quite frankly, if Ferrari don't walk it, I'll be surprised.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:55 (Ref:260079)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F2002 is unbeleivably quick. It's incredible that they can get the car straight out of the boxand have it half a second quicker a lap and reliable.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:58 (Ref:260087)   #5
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone were the better tyre this weekend. Sauber ahead of both Renault's in qualifying, BAR much more competitive, Jags, Toyota(on Michelins) not having great runs etc...
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:59 (Ref:260092)   #6
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just look at how much the Williams was slowing RB up, and luck when Irvine held RB up on one lap, the next he set a fastest lap and cruised to the back of Ralf again.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 15:05 (Ref:260104)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, here they were quick, but every weekend is a new one. The prognossis is for a ferrari walk-over this year, but I suspect we're in for a least a few surprises.

That said, I would venture that its a combination of both Car and driver. That German Fellow gets the best people to work with him AAND he gets their best performances out of them. Its a team effort, led by a charismatic and talented man.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 22:54 (Ref:260429)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
The F2002 is unbeleivably quick. It's incredible that they can get the car straight out of the boxand have it half a second quicker a lap and reliable.
Yes, but it stayed in that box for a while did'nt it. Although it 1st appeared in a race atr Brazil, the car has been lapping circuits for as long as anyone else.

True EERO, its' not looking good, and I suspect it will be a similar year to 2001 for Michael and Ferrari.

That said, Williams (and even the Mac's) did win races last year, and on some circuits, wiped the floor with the Ferrari.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 23:02 (Ref:260434)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
First of all, there is no denying that the combination of MSch and teh F2002 will be very difficult to beat. To make things worse, the track temperature was only 21 degrees, and that didn't help Michelin. However, unless Williams can find another half a second, I think they will be pushing it this year.
The most interesting drive of this year was Jenson Button beating DC. If someone had told us a year ago that Jenson would beat DC in a straight fight a year later, we would have laughed ourselves silly.
But for the guess the result competition, I would have gone to bed after the first 5 laps. That was the only thing that kept me awake.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:32 (Ref:260767)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's difficult for me to understand how so many can viwe this display of excellence as a bad thing! F1 does not need Ferrari and MS to be worse - it needs Williams, Mclaren, Renault and Sauber (etc) to be better.

What we saw was total excellence - excellence in engineering, teamwork, management and driving. Don't forget - this circuit is exactly the kind of track that Ferrari hated last year and they totally dominated yesterday.

I do think the circuit is dull, however. The race was a pretty boring spectacle - but when you see that Rubens couldnt get close enough to Ralf to pass, despite having a vastly better car, you realise how poor the track is for racing.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:50 (Ref:260782)   #11
gusdaq
Rookie

gusdaq should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
San Marino

I know I am biased, but please lets not take anything away from the Ferrari team or Michael (or Rubino come to that) I have arrived in the office to all the usual 'boring' 'predicatable' comments, but lets not miss the point here, firstly Michael, who was a full 1/2 second slower than his team mate in qualifying, had to snatch pole in the dying seconds of qualifying hour, then make a good start, then lap consistantly in the 1.24s, make 2 stops etc etc, thats pretty bloody superhuman in itself! So predictable it may be, but thats what you get with the best engineered and designed car on the grid driven by a guy with Michaels talent, dont knock it, just appreciate what he has and how lucky we are to be able to watch him in his prime! Racing folks will be talking about these days for years.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:31 (Ref:260803)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: San Marino

Quote:
Originally posted by gusdaq
I know I am biased, but please lets not take anything away from the Ferrari team or Michael (or Rubino come to that)
And after looking at all of your previous posts, its obvious you are bias.

Welcome to the forum gusdaq
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:50 (Ref:260825)   #13
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in my view the weakest link at williams and mclaren is........................michelin.
if you cant make a tyre that works in cold conditions, like we had at imola, and also make a tyre that needs to be half worn before it starts to have any effectiveness, you have serious problems
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:53 (Ref:260828)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point calais. Michelin aren't really up to scratch at the moment. You would think they'd have a handle on all sorts of conditions now, but they are still lacking.

But lets remember they provide equal tyres to their customers. Bridgestone don't.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:58 (Ref:260832)   #15
apex
Rookie

apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the fia should ban testing, ferrari is this fast because they have the money and rescources, they have two test drivers, thats why the f2002 is so quick and ther doing tyre testing all the time.

Ferrari has tested in imola to so they had the data and right setup for this weekend.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 11:06 (Ref:260845)   #16
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: San Marino

thats pretty bloody superhuman in itself!
--------------------------------------------------------
just appreciate what he has and how lucky we are to be able to watch him in his prime! Racing folks will be talking about these days for years. [/B][/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------
See you were doing fine,, then ya have to go and make OTT statements like those....
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:50 (Ref:261114)   #17
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the beggining of '98 season we had a similar situation with Macs, but as the season progressed it didn't look that good for them. I sure hope we'll see that again.

If not, I might re-introduce Sunday afternoon nap to my body.