Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Apr 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1888051)   #1
jamjarr
Rookie

jamjarr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clipsal 500 2008 - Ideas please.

Hi all.

I am from Perth and I am planning to go to watch the Clipsal 500 next year.

Can anyone help us with the following:
  1. Where is the best valued viewing location at the track
  2. Any ideas on low cost but comfortable hotel accommodation within easy public transport routes.
  3. About when is the date for the event will be announced.

I need this information to look at the various options. In Perth you suffer from the tyranny of distance so as you may guess the options are limited.

Any helpful tips for people who attend the event will be appreciated.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 00:14 (Ref:1888652)   #2
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjarr
Hi all.

2. Any ideas on low cost but comfortable hotel accommodation within easy public transport routes.
I need this information to look at the various options. In Perth you suffer from the tyranny of distance so as you may guess the options are limited.

Each to their own about "what is the best viewing"

Personally, I get a Gold Ticket (4 day) for the Barry Sheene Stand which is 'outside' pit straight, adjacent to the start/finish line.

I start every day by visiting outside Bartells Road/Turn 8 corner because acquaintences for years use that corner for meeting and viewing practice.

I then go "inside" to watch at the corner of Dequetteville and Wakefield (Turn 9). I then go to the "entertainment" behind Barry Sheene Stand and watch the race from there.

Others may have a better idea re accommodation.

Mike
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:12 (Ref:1888686)   #3
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjarr
Hi all.

Jamjarr,

Like Mmciau sed 'the best viewing' ranges in what you would like to see.

I usually sit in Pit Entry Stand cos you usually get all the f*ckups that drivers make going slow into the pits. But its up to you how much you want to spend and where you want to sit.

Accomodation, umm try either somewhere easy like Glenelg, where theres usually some nice places there. we found it was easier to stay there and just catch the tram every morning to the track. only probelm is with the tram is if you dont catch it early enough you end up catching another tram an hour later.

Dates I dont know so someone else may wanna help with that.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:16 (Ref:1888688)   #4
goosel
Rookie

Australia
goosel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide isn't the best viewing track, but there are some ok spots.

Personally, I would invest in a 4 day gold ticket along pit straight. With that, you also get access to areas that general admission ticket holders don't. For example, you can walk through the middle of the track, where as you have to walk around with GA. There are also extra food stalls and things you get access to.

If you go GA, I found the viewing from Holden Heaven to be good. There is a screen there, and you can see the cars go into the final corner. Both ends of the straight aren't bad either.

As far as cheap accommodation goes, there are a number of cheaper hotels in the city. If you don't mind walking, you can stay anywhere really. Glenelg is also a good spot to stay. You can catch the tram into the city. There are some good pubs and food places down there, as well as the beach for when you aren't at the track.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:47 (Ref:1888695)   #5
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any of the stands are good value, except (In my opinion) the chicane stands. These are overpriced & really for those who probably are a bit blood thirsty.

Like fernandez_angel, we sit in pit entry. The price is a bit better, but I have seen some good passing duels here in the past & yes, you do see when they F_up going into the pits

In relation to accomadation, it all depends what you want to spend. There are a few elcheapo motels around the place

Last edited by hoffy; 11 Apr 2007 at 02:52.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1888753)   #6
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good advise there....

Buy a 4 day seat on Pit Straight.....then go walkabout. Your seat will still be there when you get back. You can spend some time in the General Admission areas and take in most of the circuit. Being a street circuit your view is limited in most places but in some places you can get close enough to the drivers to see them working the cars hard through the corners.

As for digs...... Go and get an Adelaide Yellow Pages and start ringing up motels. As for the dates next year....bookmark V8s and the Clipsal web sites and keep looking. Who can tell hey?
Old 11 Apr 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1888780)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
definatly a stand, youve come all the way from WA you can afford the extra $80.

there is a lot aof accommodation in adelaide, as you are flying you may want something close to airport so glenelg is good

there is also camping at west beach witha regular bus to the track leaving from out the front of the park.

City is close to the action, so if you want to get out on the town then what it costs extra for accom is saved in taxi fares

We stay in fullerton about $60-70 per night for a room, long walking distance or bus to the track,

as everyone says, the best part of ADELAIDE IS WALKING AROUND the track
Old 12 Apr 2007, 04:08 (Ref:1889447)   #8
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with everything about grabbing a Stand seat (except for Hoffy's blood-thirsty comment re Senna Chicane). The Inside Chicane is the most expensive Stand (pretty sure anyway), but is far superior to Outside IMO, for the issue of the sun if nothing else. I have secured a seat on the Inside for a few years now and enjoy the spot, although Clipsal just gone I lucked out with over-the-top Yobbos close by. But thats luck of the draw isn't it.

And although its nice to have a seat to go back to, you'll miss a hell of a lot if you use it too much, regardless of what stand you choose.

Clipsal dates would more than likely be 1st/2nd week of March, but wont be confirmed for sometime yet.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 04:40 (Ref:1889454)   #9
jamjarr
Rookie

jamjarr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the tips.

It is all looking good.

I just hope the dates are known well in advance to take the opportunity to get cheaper airfares.

Regards
Old 12 Apr 2007, 06:04 (Ref:1889474)   #10
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71
Have to agree with everything about grabbing a Stand seat (except for Hoffy's blood-thirsty comment re Senna Chicane). The Inside Chicane is the most expensive Stand (pretty sure anyway), but is far superior to Outside IMO, for the issue of the sun if nothing else. I have secured a seat on the Inside for a few years now and enjoy the spot, although Clipsal just gone I lucked out with over-the-top Yobbos close by. But thats luck of the draw isn't it.

And although its nice to have a seat to go back to, you'll miss a hell of a lot if you use it too much, regardless of what stand you choose.

Clipsal dates would more than likely be 1st/2nd week of March, but wont be confirmed for sometime yet.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 05:10 (Ref:1890173)   #11
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.
nah, nah, You didn't offend mate, I just didn't agree with that bit.

In fact, its more the case that I didn't understand why you thought that.... I put it down to a percieved desire to see Turn 1 Carnage.

Its all good