Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1277949)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
de la Rosa or Wurz?

If Montoya can't go at Imola, who would you put in the car if you were McLaren?

Pedro did a decent job at Bahrain, was quick, racey, but a little ragged. I don't think you can fault him for that, being out of a race seat for a while can make you a bit rusty!

Wurz lost out on the drive in Bahrain due to lack of seat time in the new car, but in Friday practice he was pretty quick... and, because of his past contributions to the team, would probably have been a no-brainer choice for Bahrain without that little fact that he hadn't driven the car yet.

Personally, I think both would end up about the same on pace and race result, but I would like to see Wurz get the drive (just to share the love) if Montoya can't go in Imola...

Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1277955)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wurz.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1277976)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why Wurz? Yes he's more than capable, but it'd be more than a little hard on PDLR after his performance in Bahrain.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1277987)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd think it was hard on Alex too to see all his hard work over the years being rewarded by a car which he can't fit into...
I'm sure he would've gotten the back up driver role if he could've fit in it at the start of the winter season testing...
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1277988)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Also true. But especially where opportunity is concerned, you need a lucky break. Wurz didn't get it, Pedro did.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1278007)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been vocal about Wurz many times before - to sum up my feelings I'll just say that I find his situation at McLaren grossly unfair and an horrendous waste of talent. He has had moves to race drives blocked by McLaren, despite their promises to the contrary, and then to not fit into the new car just adds insult to injury. PDLR was hugely entertaining, for sure, but not massively competent and professional - if Pedro were to make the same mistakes at Imola that he made in Bahrain it would be race over.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1278035)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wurz should drive at Imola if Montoya is unavailable - he's the contracted reserve.

I can't agree with Glen about Wurz being in an unfair situation.

He chose to take McLaren's offer when he was hardly inundated with race drive offers, and while it's possible they may have (understandably) stopped him leaving mid-season, he's always signed on again at the end of each year.

The team clearly regard him very highly for the test work he does too.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1278040)   #8
Glen
Veteran

May be out and out "unfair" is putting it too strongly, but neither has he had what he deserves. It ires me when any team or company or politician can say one thing and then do another (which, as I understand it, is what has happenned), but then again I guess it's a big boy's game and **** happens.

Last edited by Adam43; 14 Apr 2005 at 21:06. Reason: Autocensor dodge, see FAQ and new warning system
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1278042)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Alex wasn't happy he could have walked away at the end of 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 but never did
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1278044)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i don't know if one would do better than the other . but I would put Wurz . just to see what he can do ..

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1278059)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
I've been vocal about Wurz many times before - to sum up my feelings I'll just say that I find his situation at McLaren grossly unfair and an horrendous waste of talent. He has had moves to race drives blocked by McLaren, despite their promises to the contrary,
As i understand it, McLaren pay Wurz a lot of money to test their car. Back in 2003 (Alex's last oppertunity at a race drive) McLaren, understandably, wanted compensating from Jaguar to release Alex from his contract, Jag didn't want to pay, Alex lost out on the drive.

As you rightly pointed out, happens, also, as k-b rightly pointed out, Alex willingly re-news his contract every year.

Whilst it must be frustrating for Alex to not have a race drive, i wouldn't mind having his life

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 15 Apr 2005 at 11:30. Reason: Autocensor dodge...
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1278064)   #12
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Ron going to do?

If your were in the same position as Ron Dennis how would you choose with you heart or with your mind?

The Emotional answer is probably Wurz
The Rational and Business answer is Pedro de la Rosa (obviously faster and more experience with the MP-20)

According to me the best thing for everybody would be JPM out for another 2 GPs Wurz races in Imola and PdlR in Barcelona and I have nothing against JPM I wish him the best just afraid he races injured.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1278070)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin de Miguel

The Emotional answer is probably Wurz
Agreed

Quote:

The Rational and Business answer is Pedro de la Rosa (obviously faster and more experience with the MP-20)

More experience with the MP4-20, yes, but I wouldn't say he was "obviously" faster. I suspect they're relatively evenly matched.

Wurz was certainly flying on Friday at Bahrain.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1278083)   #14
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At this point, I would be tempted to give Wurz a chance (if Montoya can't race).

De la Rosa had a spectacular race, but in the end he only won back the positions he had lost by his earlier errors.
I do not know whether or not his engine suffered because of this.

But I do know that Wurz is allowed to use a new engine, whereas De la Rosa would have to use the engine he used in Bahrein...

So if Montoya would have to miss this race, putting Wurz in the race seat this time would probably be better for the team.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1278088)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's an easy choice to go with Wurz - longer within the team, contracted 3rd driver, I'd still be embarassed for building a car he couldn't fit into...
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1278089)   #16
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thats a good point . using Pedro and old engine .or Wurz and new engine . . the balance turning in Alex favour . i think .

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Apr 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1278221)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
de la Rosa wasn't a crasher in the past, he'd done a huge amount of laps in the new car, and he still went off in the race twice. Wurz had some of the most spectacular crashes in F1 history, hasn't had much mileage in the new car, and hasn't raced for twice as long as Pedro, so how rusty is he going to be, at a track which isn't as forgiving as Bahrain. Having a fresh engine in the car if Wurz drives it (another silly loophole I hope is later closed) wouldn't be enough of an advantage in my mind.

Third drivers always show unrealistic pace - look at Zonta last year in particular, he was routienty the fastest Toyota driver when he was the tester, and the slowest when he'd been promoted to race duty - so I'm not sure Alex's showing in Bahrain can be used for the argument.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1278372)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wurz is a very fair choice IMHO.

Although Pedro would have a much more favourable slot in Q1.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1278444)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Pedro deserves another shot. He did a pretty good job in Bahrain and I think it would be tough to punt him after that.

Having said that, if they merely want to also give Wurz a run, I don't have too many problems with that - would be interesting to see how he goes after so much time testing over recent years.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1278450)   #20
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz - he is the nomiated driver. If they run PDLR then there is a serious missmatch between contracts and reality! The only reason he didn't get the nod last race was the size issue, it's been resolved so it's goodnight PDLR.

Per other threads, PDLR had a pretty average race in a great car.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1278454)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it should be Wurtz..He is contracted to drive, it is the right thing to do MR Dennis..By the way side issue does anyone know how much Alexander Wurtz get's paid to test for Mac?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1278460)   #22
Mike_P
Rookie

United States
Vermont, USA
Mike_P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
Wurz. The only reason he didn't get the nod last race was the size issue, it's been resolved so it's goodnight PDLR.
They made a special car for him to test with at Bahrain, but is that the only one he fits in? If it is, and he destroys a car in a practice session or qualifying, then there would be no spare car for him to use.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1278464)   #23
Mike_P
Rookie

United States
Vermont, USA
Mike_P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
By the way side issue does anyone know how much Alexander Wurtz get's paid to test for Mac?
I think I remember hearing something about that three or four years ago. It was near the end of the season and Wurz had been really fast in testing all year, so a few teams were interested in giving him a drive. Supposedly Ron offered him $1,000,000 to test the next season, but that amount would drop quite a bit every day that he waited to sign the contract.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1278465)   #24
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ron will let PDLR drive , after his performance in Bahrain.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1278469)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_P
I think I remember hearing something about that three or four years ago. It was near the end of the season and Wurz had been really fast in testing all year, so a few teams were interested in giving him a drive. Supposedly Ron offered him $1,000,000 to test the next season, but that amount would drop quite a bit every day that he waited to sign the contract.
"Goodness" that is a lot of money.. Thank you Mike_P