Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1039264)   #1
BARFing mad
Rookie

BARFing mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR's drop-off in performance?

How come the previously 'hot' BAR has fallen back into the pack in the last couple of races? Have the others just caught up or have they lost the plot?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:55 (Ref:1039265)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's more that McLaren have leapfrogged them, than BAR have fallen back
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1039268)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a season progresses, it's also a race off-track as to who can develop their car the fastest.

McLaren have gone to the extreme and introduced a for all intents and purposes, a new car.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1039273)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they've not moved forward as much as the other teams. Lets face it, you can't really get slower as a season progresses, others can only get faster relative to you...
I'm sure they'll resolve to close the gap and in a few races hopefully they'll have done that.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:18 (Ref:1039287)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think Mac have stunned them with the new car...

Renaults have been reliable as well
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1039291)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BAR are new to the front of the field and so won't quite have the same technical pace as the others.

They are learning and they will catch up. I'll bet many expected them to fall away sooner than they have!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1039296)   #7
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you're right there knowlesy. This is their first year running at the 'pointy end'. This is a learning year on being at the front.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 00:52 (Ref:1039343)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I always had the belief that once Williams and Mac picked back up that would be the end of BAR on the poduim. Both Mac and Willaims have had shock 1st halfs of the year and Bar where just in the right place at the right time . I think Renault is a stronger outfit than BAR . While it looks like Mac are/have come back to form Bar's big /last hope is the Williams does have real driver issue's ATM and should only get worse by years end as I'm sure Frank/Pat & Sam don't want to give to much away for next years car to the likes of Ralf(when his back) and jpm
Old 18 Jul 2004, 02:14 (Ref:1039376)   #9
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
I think you're right there knowlesy. This is their first year running at the 'pointy end'. This is a learning year on being at the front.
Yeah, agreed. And TBH, I don't think it's really been the car that's been the problem these last two races but the team.

In France, Button could easily have been third if the team had been a bit more on the ball with the pitstops and if they had a bit more understanding of the Michelin rubber, Button could have done better in the British GP.

I don't think they're losing the plot so to speak - the car still seems to have the raw speed to cut it against everyone bar Schumacher - but I think DR will probably now be able to see where the team as a whole needs to shape up next season so they can take that first win.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1039379)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah.i don't think it's really an issue of BAR slowing down. Just that their immediate rivals made larger improvements at a quicker rate than BAR.

Not surprising really given their freshie status challenging as a front running team.

Teams like Mclaren and Williams had made HUGE changes to their cars...and BAR meanwhile decided not to introduce untried new parts at Silverstone. So it kinda lose them an edge.

Their developement seem to have slow/stagnant at recent races...and this is where Willis, Button and Richard have to really start pushing the team to produce more.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1039577)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've had a few unexpected problems within the past few races with the new packages they've developed for the aero side of the car - at Silverstone they had to ditch the mods they hoped would give them better stability in the faster corners because the new bits were unusually susceptible to cross winds - which you get aplenty at Silverstone.

Add that to the fact that the other teams are catching up with them and you can see why they aren't living up to early season promise.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 08:37 (Ref:1040113)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Usually a good team will find more extra performance as they develop the car through the season than tey found building a completely new car in the off season - so all the teams are going forwards with development, but some are striding more strongly than others. McLaren's step with the 19B is very big, whereas BAR have admitted to being cautious and not putting too much new stuff on the car before it is tested thoroughly. There will be more from them, and it will be soon - the summer testing ban is upon us.

Last edited by Glen; 19 Jul 2004 at 08:38.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1040229)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Basically, there shouldn't be any surprise that Mclaren's new car is a far larger improvement than that managed by BAR in the same period. The Mclaren is afterall almost a brand new car heavily revised from the four wheels up, while BAR is basically developing their original car with newer parts.

Furthermore, huge and experienced teams such as Williams and Mclaren and Ferrari have the capability,experience,efficiency and resources to keep pushing developement at full steam even for the duration of a season. Compared to them, BAR is relatively inexperienced and has lesser capacity to maintain the momentum required, especially when the requirements of the next season's car starts to exert more workload on the team.

BAR's currently having some difficulty in extracting the most from their new parts and testing them fast enough for use on the track. Hence, it isn't surprising to find them stumble as the others keep improving.

Unfortunately, it seems that after the string of impressive podiums and points achieved by Button, the team seem to be on cloud 9 and a little bit over-confident. They've basically predicted wins in USA, France, Silverstone...but came home disappointed and failed to impress..sure gives the team's motivation and morale a beating.

That's where the test comes..does the team and the key personnels (DR, GW, JB) have what it takes to rally the support of the team and push ahead while keeping their feet on the ground or would the small cracks in the team get worse and the team start slipping back again. I hope it's the former.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1040442)   #14
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much of this, engine wise at least, can be put down to time taken to see why satos engine keeps letting go? I do not know how BAR are set-up/split their time but could this effect them a or is it simply part of the day to day routine in terms of time planning, further more how much does each blow up cost financially and time wise?
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1040852)   #15
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If investigating Sato's blown engines wasn't part of the routine at the start of the season it probably is now :P

Dunno how much it would cost though... surely only lost man hours, as they presumably rebuild the engines after each race anyway?
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:13 (Ref:1040857)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They do indeed.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1040879)   #17
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It also depends on the damage done to the engine, especially the blocks. I would hazard a guess that each blowup results in at least one scrapped head and block, as well as crankshaft, rods and pistons and valves.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1041085)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whenever a team makes a big leap from one season to the next, they will struggle to sustain the advance as the year goes on. What's more, McLaren have now made real improvements and seem liekly to be at least as fast repeatedly.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1041632)   #19
AlesiUk
Rookie

AlesiUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR dont know why there car was quick in the first place,and therefor cant develope it. They will continue to drop back as the season goes on
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1041633)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't think that's true, AlesiUK.

It was the punters who were surprised by BAR's speed, not the team.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1041663)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BAR opened the season with a well set up car, a huge step up from last year. that development hasn't been continued at the same pace as McLaren (who had to do something!)nor ferrari whose brains trust has further depths in which to dredge up more advantage. Williams don't seem able to make a lot of progress either, or may haev been up a few blind alleys.
Sauber put down most of their improvement at Silverstone to tyres and a revised rear bodywork.
if that is true it shows that very small changes can result in what become significant gains (or losses!) due to the evenness of much of the field, and the difficulty of passing. (Look at Alonso at Silverstone, couldn't pass Massa but this was the same guy who beat everyone but TFG at magny-Cours)
Old 21 Jul 2004, 10:45 (Ref:1042012)   #22
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's a case of others catching up. But BAR has come on in leaps and bounds since last year.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1042061)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'll bet that BAR, had they been told last year that they would come 4th at Silverstone this year, they would have jumped at the result. Funny how things change in F1, that they are now disappointed with a 4th.

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jul 2004 at 11:45.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1042179)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

It just shows the higher standards they now have, coupled with expectation.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1044303)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just looking at the first half of Germany Practice it seems Ant isn't as quick so far.