Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:20 (Ref:270520)   #1
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are IRL crashes more likely to involve injuries?

Is it me or are there more injuries in the IRL than in that other openwheel catagory. In its brief history, seems like a lot drivers have been sidelined.:confused:
Old 25 Apr 2002, 18:25 (Ref:270619)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have sure had a bad run the last couple of weeks, Haven't we? Is it really a surprise that at 220+mph guys can get hurt? Especially when all the can hit is concrete?

I don't know what happened with salazar, but it was bad. the Scheckter/Lazier accident was down to poor judgment by Tomas, and that is a problem in all forms of motorsports.

But the IRL is a series that is always on oval tracks and always characterised with concrete walls all the way around. The combination of 225+mph and concrete wall is bound to get ugly once in awhile.

The Speedway has just announced that they are introducing softwall technology for the 500. It will be very interesting to see how much this helps. Someone is bound to test it. They are there for a whole month and going stupidly fast. I suspect we will have a pretty good answer within the first few days. I hope it is the one we want.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 22:27 (Ref:270750)   #3
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that rather than focusing on their chassis suppliers staying away fron CART, perhaps they should demand a safer product.

The IRL chassis, more often than not, spin around and impact the wall from the rear. For whatever reason, the car does not appear to be doing the job of absorbing the impact as it should.

Back injuries have been quite common in the IRL. Buddy Lazier, Jacques Lazier(twice), Scott Goodyear and Salazar have all sustained injuries to their backs. Sam Schmidt is now confined to a wheelchair as a result of his back injury.

Soft Walls are definitely a step in the right direction, but I really think that the car deserves a look. Perhaps it's the design or position of the seat causing the back troubles?

I'm not saying that the IRL car is "unsafe at any speed" but any time that there are as many similar injuries as this, every avenue of safety must be explored...
Old 26 Apr 2002, 01:43 (Ref:270827)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
exactly , every avenue should be explored , walls, cars, drivers , everything should be looked at.
the amount of injuries in this series does concern me and I dont really know why its happening.
i dont know much about this soft wall technology but it sounds interesting, but the car safety is something that needs looking into, maybe there is something wrong maybe not in the design of the cars but possibly in the construction of them , things that work well on paper dont always pan out in the field.
and ythen you have the drivers , the HANS device is the greatest thing to come along for a ages and has been proven to help neck injuries during a crash , im not going to say prevent injuries because thats not the case , but it ceetainly reduces the chances of a injury , i think that should be a mandatory requirment at every track they race on for all drivers.

its a tough situation really , we all know the IRL, the circuit owners, the drivers and the teams are always looking at safety and it is always trying to be improved, but hopefully we can get through the month of may without any injuries because i fear that Indy will be very fast this this year and im just hoping no one gets hurt.
Old 1 May 2002, 03:49 (Ref:275059)   #5
Glen Hartigan
Rookie

Glen Hartigan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
far from safe
Old 1 May 2002, 05:36 (Ref:275099)   #6
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
The Speedway will have a major announcement regarding the soft wall technology tomorrow, Wednesday May 1.

Representatives from the University of Nebraska, NASCAR, and the IRL will all be a part of the press conference.
Old 2 May 2002, 16:03 (Ref:276502)   #7
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
All about the SAFER wall

www.cartpages.com/SAFER.html
Old 2 May 2002, 16:48 (Ref:276527)   #8
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the university of Nebraska involved in the Dale Earnhardt investigation?
Old 2 May 2002, 18:22 (Ref:276613)   #9
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
I don't believe so. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has been working on the energy absorbing so-called "soft walls" since 1998.

Last edited by SevenGrain; 2 May 2002 at 18:23.
Old 4 May 2002, 15:28 (Ref:278415)   #10
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This "soft wall" technology is not the problem IMO, because simalar accidents have happened in CART and they don't have the injuries that the IRL have, work needs to happen with the IRL cars to make them safer.

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 4 May 2002 at 15:29.