Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Feb 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2825917)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aston Martin Nimrod: Thoughts & info

A valiant effort, any comment ?
Old 4 Feb 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2825919)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the Nimrod project really didn't end nicely...

http://s13.directupload.net/file/d/2...d9qf5m_jpg.htm

http://img74.imageshack.us/f/nimrod25eq.jpg/

http://img74.imageshack.us/f/nimrod0qu.jpg/
Old 4 Feb 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2825936)   #3
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I had a real fondness for the Nimrod project at the time, and now, with the benefit of hindsight really appreciate how much they achieved with what was, realistically, so little.

Okay, it was no 956 or LC2, but in context it was genuinely impressive.

There's a great documentary film about their 1982 Le Mans campaign that's very much worth tracking down.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2826195)   #4
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Any Idea where I can found this Film ???
Old 7 Feb 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2827282)   #5
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
It is worth looking for - I believe someone had it transferred to DVD but can't give you any more help than that, sorry.

I had a very good reason for being interested though as I used to own the last-ever Nimrod. This was the carbon-chassis project NRA/C3-006 which was never completed.

The last I heard was that it had been sold more than once since I parted with it and may now be in California, still unbuilt.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2827848)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Couple of questions, am I right in thinking that these chassis sported two different engine types and secondly was Ray Mallock anything to do with it because I used to think that the Ecosse C2 was like a mini Nimrod!?!

Group C was an interest if mine but not enough to know much detail other than cars and drivers that were around at the time - I was too young in the early 80's!!
Old 8 Feb 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2827866)   #7
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
There's a great documentary film about their 1982 Le Mans campaign that's very much worth tracking down.

Would this be it?
I have not tried to download it.....
Old 8 Feb 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2827972)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Couple of questions, am I right in thinking that these chassis sported two different engine types and secondly was Ray Mallock anything to do with it because I used to think that the Ecosse C2 was like a mini Nimrod!?!

Group C was an interest if mine but not enough to know much detail other than cars and drivers that were around at the time - I was too young in the early 80's!!
There were two different Nimrod teams- Robin Hamilton's silver 'works' car (IIRC it was really never a 'works' Aston project as such- A-M director Victor Gauntlett was one of the backers of the project, but in his own right, rather than as a representative of the factory) and a second privateer entry owned by Viscount Downe.
Ray Mallock was certainly involved with the Downe car (if not both?), both as a driver and engineer.
AFAIK the similarity between Nimrod and Ecosse was no coincidence- the bodywork on the Ecosse was a scaled-down version of new bodywork designed by Mallock for the Downe car.

Both efforts used Aston V8s built by Tickford, although the Downe team experimented with a turbo version of the V8
Old 8 Feb 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2828014)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw one of the Bovis (Ray Mallock) cars at Gaydon yesterday.
It was a fun car, but I surprised that the sign only claimed that it had 400hp.
Old 9 Feb 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2828367)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I saw one of the Bovis (Ray Mallock) cars at Gaydon yesterday.
It was a fun car, but I surprised that the sign only claimed that it had 400hp.
Yes, that's a surprise- though having said that, I've got a book on Aston V8 race cars written in the early 90's, which has chapters on all of the Aston Group C projects and IIRC a recurring theme for all three of the early Aston-powered cars (Nimrod, EMKA & Cheetah) was that there was often a discrepancy between the power output claimed for the Tickford-prepared engines, and what the teams were actually seeing...
Old 9 Feb 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2828414)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
There were two different Nimrod teams- Robin Hamilton's silver 'works' car....
....and a second privateer entry owned by Viscount Downe.

Ray Mallock was certainly involved with the Downe car (if not both?), both as a driver and engineer.
AFAIK the similarity between Nimrod and Ecosse was no coincidence- the bodywork on the Ecosse was a scaled-down version of new bodywork designed by Mallock for the Downe car.

Both efforts used Aston V8s built by Tickford, although the Downe team experimented with a turbo version of the V8
Great, thanks KA, that's put my mind at rest, I was convinced there was 2 cars and there was a connection with Mallock and Ecosse but needed it confirming!

For some reason I also thought that the one of the Nimrod's sported a 3.9 litre DFL lump at some point or other? But something tells me that was a different car, maybe i'm confusing the turbo and atmo C100's?
Old 9 Feb 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2828425)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the Ecurie Ecosse cars initially used a race version of the Metro 6R4 engine & then used the a Cosworth DFL in C2.

There was an interview with Ray Mallock in a recent "Motorsport" magazine (3-4 months ago?) in which he talked extensively about RML, Ecurie Ecosse & the Nimrod project.
Old 9 Feb 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2828427)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Great, thanks KA, that's put my mind at rest, I was convinced there was 2 cars and there was a connection with Mallock and Ecosse but needed it confirming!

For some reason I also thought that the one of the Nimrod's sported a 3.9 litre DFL lump at some point or other? But something tells me that was a different car, maybe i'm confusing the turbo and atmo C100's?
I think you are confusing these two cars. I'm sure that the Nimrods always used an Aston Martin engine. Mind you, the C100 was around at the same time...
Old 9 Feb 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2828475)   #14
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I think the Ecurie Ecosse cars initially used a race version of the Metro 6R4 engine & then used the a Cosworth DFL in C2.

There was an interview with Ray Mallock in a recent "Motorsport" magazine (3-4 months ago?) in which he talked extensively about RML, Ecurie Ecosse & the Nimrod project.
Ecosse initially ran a Cosworth, then the V64V from the Metro in one car in '86 (IIRC there was sometimes a second car which always had a DFL)
The Rover-engined car had Austin Rover sponsorship and sometimes Marc Duez on board, and Ecosse then went back to Cosworth power the following season when they ran the cars in the red Royal Mail colours
Old 9 Feb 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2828480)   #15
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think you are confusing these two cars. I'm sure that the Nimrods always used an Aston Martin engine. Mind you, the C100 was around at the same time...
As you say, I'm pretty sure the Nimrods were always Aston-engined- the Downe team experimenting with a turbo engine towards the end of the programme

C100 was around at the same time, and I think was always DFL. There was a turbo DFL project for the C100, but I don't think it ever raced?.

Were the Zakspeed Group C cars that ran in Germany based on the C100? IIRC, these appeared in both DFL and 4-cylinder turbo forms.
The other turbo DFL was the one that Tim Lee-Davey ran in his Tiga- but we're getting well and truly off-topic now!
Old 10 Feb 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2829066)   #16
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nimrods were always Aston engined, and the C100s always DFLs.

The EMKA though, again always Aston engined, was designed by Len Bailey, a year or so after he designed the original, and awful, C100. The EMKA was said at the time to be quite similar to the C100. Maybe this is where Chunt is getting mixed-up?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2829206)   #17
Catchpole
Rookie

Catchpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
I bought a copy off e-bay years ago.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2829678)   #18
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
As you say, I'm pretty sure the Nimrods were always Aston-engined- the Downe team experimenting with a turbo engine towards the end of the programme

C100 was around at the same time, and I think was always DFL. There was a turbo DFL project for the C100, but I don't think it ever raced?.

Were the Zakspeed Group C cars that ran in Germany based on the C100? IIRC, these appeared in both DFL and 4-cylinder turbo forms.
The other turbo DFL was the one that Tim Lee-Davey ran in his Tiga- but we're getting well and truly off-topic now!
I've the 1984 Silverstone 1000KMS entry and both the Astons had 5340cc engines.
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Aston Martin Nimrod.jpg  
Old 11 Feb 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2829721)   #19
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
I've the 1984 Silverstone 1000KMS entry and both the Astons had 5340cc engines.
Andy
Yes, but the Mallock car had the turbocharged engine...