Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2495343)   #1
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Musings on Kimi Raikkonen and Human Behaviour

Is Kimi really as disinterested as people claim, or are we guilty of imposing our values onto his personality?

Whereas most drivers constantly look to their team-mate’s performance for comparison, Kimi genuinely doesn’t seem to care how Massa gets on. This is analogous to the ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ mentality seen in more typical western, capitalist countries. We constantly compare ourselves to our neighbours, friends or colleagues and if we fall short in any sense we feel inferior.

Is it not healthier to be happy with ourselves rather than in investing our sense of self in how we compare to others?

For me, Kimi has always had a good outlook. He sees F1 as a sport, and enjoys the competition. He wants to win because that’s the aim of the game. However, it won’t destroy him if he doesn’t win. Whatever the result, it doesn’t change who he is. Whereas, when you look at the likes of Hamilton, Senna, Mansell or Alonso, they seem to need to win in order to feel good about themselves. If they’re not winning, they’re not happy. Succes in F1 is all they care about. Again, we see this as a positive thing. We label it as ‘drive’ and ‘passion’, when in fact, it’s probably just plain dysfunctional.

This is not just true of F1, but other sports too. If you have single-minded, determined, win-at-all-costs mentality, it’s seen as a positive thing. If you have things in perspective and see sport as a fun pursuit to be enjoyed and not taken too seriously, you’re looked upon in a negative light.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2495356)   #2
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I work with someone from the same neck of the woods as KR, and they do seem quite similar in attitude and manner of speech. It's an interesting comparison. Maybe it's very much a Scandinavian trait. I seem to remember the rally drivers having similar attitudes.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2495366)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But surely the whole point is to relish the competition? You're right, Kimi doesn't seem interested if Massa beats him or not (as I've already said on another thread I can't remember another driver who's heart is so clearly not in it), but he should care, and his team would expect him to care.

I still believe that Kimi is the quickest driver out there and to be honest he should be blowing Massa away every weekend.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2495376)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
But surely the whole point is to relish the competition?
What's to say he doesn't relish the competition?

If you go out to compete and try your best but someone else does better, what is the more healthy reaction? To rant, rave, beat yourself up, beat the motorhome up, whinge to the press...etc? Or is to say 'Today, my best wasn't good enough. So be it. Can I have a Magnum?'
Old 3 Jul 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2495385)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I work with someone from the same neck of the woods as KR, and they do seem quite similar in attitude and manner of speech. It's an interesting comparison. Maybe it's very much a Scandinavian trait. I seem to remember the rally drivers having similar attitudes.
I agree with the manner of speech comment. It's not a hard and fast 'rule' but for many Finns that I have met it is just a natural way of talking that reflects the speaking of their own language stresses into English.

Most of the Finns I met through business activity in the late 80s and early 90s were incredibly pragmatic and could adapt a requirement to what was readily possible (and even improve upon the original idea in doing so) without getting stressed about it. Thus was not so true in some of the Scandinavian countries (and certainly less true even than that in other places!). The Finns would accept the Scandinavian label for example, though in truth 'Nordic' would be a better grouping term. Finnish Finns that I met tended to be more laid back than Finns of Swedish origin, though I suspect that is something of a generalisation.

I recall some extended 'entertainment' sessions where words flowed more readily for a time. In fact almost any excuse was acceptable for a call to party.

My largest client project team in Helsinki was a pleasure to work with over an extended period and contained quite a few with similar demeanour to KR's, at least in public. In private things could change. In practice they all cared about the tasks to be completed but did so more collectively than other teams from other countries that were, in theory at least, part of the same multi-national project.

Makes it quite tricky to 'read' the unspoken messages though ...
Old 3 Jul 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2495394)   #6
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
What's to say he doesn't relish the competition?

If you go out to compete and try your best but someone else does better, what is the more healthy reaction? To rant, rave, beat yourself up, beat the motorhome up, whinge to the press...etc? Or is to say 'Today, my best wasn't good enough. So be it. Can I have a Magnum?'
Is he trying his best?
Old 3 Jul 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2495396)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
Is he trying his best?
Only he knows really.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2495404)   #8
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is astonishing how changing circumstances change the relative performance of team mates - when Honda were struggling, there was not much between Button and Barrichello, now they both drive a good car there's quite a gap, possibly reflecting racecraft more than outright speed. Maybe it's the same with Kimi and Massa - both are struggling with the car, both are good drivers, but they don't have the equipment to pull off anything special and to show how good they really are?
Old 3 Jul 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2495413)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a shame really as we have seen the Champ from Finland more than once drive beautifully and flawlessly and even crack a smile of joy. but his unnerving flat is always aken for something else.
he wanted to be champ he is in the history books, a lot of champs leave after the pinnacle, its okay. but his disgust in the relatively craptastic ferrari now is apparent and he has said it, he can win a title again i am sure. but the marenello boys may want to split the champinoship for massa, after all his emotionalty makes him the more loveable one in italy i think
Old 3 Jul 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2495562)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Most people don't make the effort to understand Kimi, which is partly understandable because you do have to make a bigger effort with him than probably any other driver, but the reality is far different from the general perception.

Back in September 2008 F1 Racing had the longest and best interview with him that I have ever read. Not surprisingly perhaps, it was written by another Finn, Heikki Culta, and it really opened up the real Kimi. If you have a copy tucked away somewhere, dig it out and have a read. I can't possibly quote the whole article, but here's a sample:

Quote:
" am the way I want to be." That's Kimi Raikkonen... He's a pretty uncomplicated bloke, and at the centre of what makes him happy is just being able to drive fast and win races with as few distractions as possible.
Take last year, when the Kimi knockers were out in force again. In fact he equalled his own record, shared with MS, of ten fastest laps. It wasn't a question of him only waking up halfway through the race, as some suggested. It was simply that the Kimi style didn't gel particularly well with the combination of the Ferrari, the set-up and the tyres, but he kept driving it as well as he could and at a certain point in the race everything would come together and at that point Kimi would start to fly. So he's not a quitter either.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2495583)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Most people don't make the effort to understand Kimi, which is partly understandable because you do have to make a bigger effort with him than probably any other driver, but the reality is far different from the general perception.
I think he's easily the most interesting personality on the grid. He's something of a favourite of mine, really. Though I'm still not certain he'll stick around in F1 for long.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2495620)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I take all this Finnish type or Finnish mind as a huge generalisation... it does go back in time and see one Mika Hakkinen breaking down like any other regular guy, that time in Monza, I think, and see how it varies from one person to another.

SH was spot on Kimi's mentality, and I have to say, it's a very good one mentality. Through my life, I had a few friends, maybe two, like that, it seemed impossible that something would disturb them to the to point that they would... care. And much to my surprise they were always right, they always got along nicely while most of us were wasting our brains in foolish expectations and agony.
I guess those guys truly know the way to live better.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2495622)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I think he's easily the most interesting personality on the grid. He's something of a favourite of mine, really. Though I'm still not certain he'll stick around in F1 for long.
Include me in that list.
Old 4 Jul 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2495675)   #14
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
(i was going to post a reply in the other thread, in response to a suggestion that kimi is un-professional, but i think it's probably more relevant to this thread [maybe]...)

i think kimi doesnt tend to be too emotional about his decisions, and some see that as being disinterested. but i cant remember a race in the recent few seasons when he hasnt turned up with his race head on. that, to me, is professionalism.

He has a clear focus of driving as fast as he can, and that is his contribution. He doesnt tend to interfere with the designers or mechanics and tell them how to do their job, as he sees a clear distinction between them doing their job, and him driving. Fair enough i think.

Sure, sometimes he has had disappointing results, mainly because we have seen his best, and it is sublime. But even supremely talented people can have periods where it doesnt come together for them, or their form slumps and not necessarily because they're dis-interested...

however, i do fear that he is looking for a fresh challenge, and that may lie outside of f1. But we are running short of "true racers" on the f1 grid, and it would be a far poorer place without him.
Old 4 Jul 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2495708)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Take last year, when the Kimi knockers were out in force again. In fact he equalled his own record, shared with MS, of ten fastest laps. It wasn't a question of him only waking up halfway through the race, as some suggested. It was simply that the Kimi style didn't gel particularly well with the combination of the Ferrari, the set-up and the tyres, but he kept driving it as well as he could and at a certain point in the race everything would come together and at that point Kimi would start to fly. So he's not a quitter either.
The real shame in my mind will be if he does quit as speculated at the end of this year it will be a victory for those people, both inside the F1 cockpit and behind their laptops (be they journos or punters) who believe that being an F1 driver entails winning at all costs, coming across as a jumped up rooster of aggressiveness and bravado, and generally putting ability in a PR situation above ability to pull off breathtaking overtaking manouvers, of which Kimi is probably the best out there at present.
Old 4 Jul 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2495765)   #16
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frankly in this PR dominated age i think Kimi has the right idea. He can't say what he wants to (all drivers interviews are recorded by the PR person just incase they stray off message) so he says nothing much at all. Anyway for a Finn he has a big personality !!!
Old 5 Jul 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2496103)   #17
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
Frankly in this PR dominated age i think Kimi has the right idea. He can't say what he wants to (all drivers interviews are recorded by the PR person just incase they stray off message) so he says nothing much at all.
I remember a race in Hockenheim a few years ago when he lost a rear wing on the main straight and went into the wall. Interviewed in TV shortly afterwards (while the race was still on) the journalist asked somethink like "you must not feel particularly happy", which KR (IIRC wearing a cowboy hat) confirmed, saying "no", and going on his way. These days when everybody has memorised a well balanced press statement for every possible occasion he may encounter in life, I am so grateful for people who still dare give succinct answers and spare me the drivel!

Edited to add: I just notice that this is my 100th post on this forum, after nearly five years of membership and nearly as many more of lurking, which must make me more taciturn than Raikkönen if that is possible! Anyway, it seems to be a good thread to have my 100th post in ...
Old 10 Jul 2009, 01:25 (Ref:2498726)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPP View Post
I remember a race in Hockenheim a few years ago when he lost a rear wing on the main straight and went into the wall. Interviewed in TV shortly afterwards (while the race was still on) the journalist asked something like "you must not feel particularly happy", which KR (IIRC wearing a cowboy hat) confirmed, saying "no", and going on his way. These days when everybody has memorised a well balanced press statement for every possible occasion he may encounter in life, I am so grateful for people who still dare give succinct answers and spare me the drivel!

Edited to add: I just notice that this is my 100th post on this forum, after nearly five years of membership and nearly as many more of lurking, which must make me more taciturn than Raikkönen if that is possible! Anyway, it seems to be a good thread to have my 100th post in ...
You should post more often is what I say to that!
Old 11 Jul 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2499519)   #19
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
Quote:
You should post more often is what I say to that!
thank you, I'll try my best - but I doubt that I can really change comparatively late in life