Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2004, 19:23 (Ref:898414)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it seems Renault have found a way around the rules...

From Autosport.com

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=26246&s=5

So while they don't have launch control per se they've got a system that can mimic it pretty well.

The FIA said it would be impossible to ban TC because you can't 'uninvent' something and that it couldn't be policed as engine mapping technology can mimic it so closely. It appears we have the same problem with launch control and can sadly kiss another key driver skill goodbye.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 19:26 (Ref:898422)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this the same type of thing Ferrari supposedly ran in the early rounds of 2001 along with Sauber?

I remember H2F throwing his toys out of the pram because he couldn't overtake Heidfeld at Melbourne!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 8 Mar 2004 at 19:27.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 19:33 (Ref:898431)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Uninvent" is great. The truth is that they don't have or can't develop better techonology to prevent/disable it.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 19:42 (Ref:898447)   #4
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its amazing what a good engine mapping programer can do!
As someone said in Melbourne its OK to ban these things but so hard to inforce because the engine mapping control can be programed to do what launch control did anyway.That statement came from teams main man to a group of guests on a pit tour in Melbourne.The team will remain nameless but it certianally raised my eyebrows as well as the rest of the group I was with.

The Grumpy1

P.S. The team we were in wasn't Renault either.

Last edited by grumpy1; 8 Mar 2004 at 19:43.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 21:33 (Ref:898605)   #5
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Renault haven't found a way around the rules as much as a means of maximising performance within the rules... they can't control the throttle inputs but they can control mixture etc and they have. This may be why they were so effective under traction control and under these regulations they have maintained their advantage. Good on them!
Old 8 Mar 2004, 21:48 (Ref:898637)   #6
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Its amazing what a good engine mapping programer can do!
As someone said in Melbourne its OK to ban these things but so hard to inforce because the engine mapping control can be programed to do what launch control did anyway.That statement came from teams main man to a group of guests on a pit tour in Melbourne.The team will remain nameless but it certianally raised my eyebrows as well as the rest of the group I was with.
I've heard Patrick Head and Newey say the same thing so its hardly a secret. But it means the rest of the teams will be back on the development trail and spend another $1m or 2 to bypass (cheat) the traction control ban.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 22:13 (Ref:898680)   #7
grumpy1
Veteran

As I said the team shall remain nameless(not the 2 mentioned so far) but the way this team was looking at it if you can have your engine & transmission do x at Y revs in z gear so what? If we can do it so can everyone else and its not illeagal but launch control is.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 8 Mar 2004 at 22:15.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 20:39 (Ref:899925)   #8
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame though isn't it when we all looked forward to race starts by the driver himself. never mind we will just have to let go of the past.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 21:08 (Ref:899959)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
So Renault can still use launch control by simply re-naming it?
I hear Williams will be using a new system at Sepang called "Pink Jam Truffle Control" to help them with their starts.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:01 (Ref:900883)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't surprise me at all. The name "Briatore" says it all...
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:900898)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
It doesn't surprise me at all. The name "Briatore" says it all...
I think you'll find, as has been stated in the thread, that all the teams are doing similar things - the lack of wheelspin was pretty striking... it wasn't only Renault.

Unless you meant that the name Briatore is synonymous with doing things better than the rest - but I don't think you meant that.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 15:42 (Ref:900963)   #12
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
during the SpeedTV broadcast of the Steve Machett said the Renaults have a new system to "mimic" launch control. Apparently it is a system that senses the exact "bite-point" of the clutch. This way the driver can just mash his foot to the floor, and not have to worry finding the "bite-point" with a cutch pedal or a clutch hand lever.

This was just conjucture from a race broadcaster, not a team offical, so please just take it for what its worth.

-xBook
Old 10 Mar 2004, 16:35 (Ref:901010)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well the FIA again write rules that can be looped... no surprise...
Old 10 Mar 2004, 17:19 (Ref:901049)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I think you'll find, as has been stated in the thread, that all the teams are doing similar things - the lack of wheelspin was pretty striking... it wasn't only Renault.

Unless you meant that the name Briatore is synonymous with doing things better than the rest - but I don't think you meant that.
Yep, I didn't mean that. Everytime the name "Briatore" appears, '94 comes to mind.
I know that all the teams can be doing similar things, but in the end, FIA takes the blame (as I mentioned before) for not being capable -or let it be this way - of supervising the teams. I don't buy that "it's impossible" excuse.

Last edited by Bononi; 10 Mar 2004 at 17:23.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:06 (Ref:901221)   #15
grumpy1
Veteran

The problems are two fold.
1.The FIA writes a ruling that can be interpreted differently.Until the rule is writen so there is no ambiguity then teams will do as they please so to speak.
2.These chips that control such things are so small and all look the same so they can hide the thing anywhere so how would a scrutiner find it.
As this person said it doesn't have to be one chip but can also be a combination of things in the engine mapping so its to hard to control for the scutiners.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 10 Mar 2004 at 20:07.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:52 (Ref:901267)   #16
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by xbook
during the SpeedTV broadcast of the Steve Machett said the Renaults have a new system to "mimic" launch control. Apparently it is a system that senses the exact "bite-point" of the clutch. This way the driver can just mash his foot to the floor, and not have to worry finding the "bite-point" with a cutch pedal or a clutch hand lever.

This was just conjucture from a race broadcaster, not a team offical, so please just take it for what its worth.

-xBook
Actually I'm pretty sure they were talking about Ferrari with the clutch "bite-point" thing. I could be wrong, I'll check my TiVo when I get home.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:58 (Ref:901280)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
But it means the rest of the teams will be back on the development trail and spend another $1m or 2 to bypass (cheat) the traction control ban.
They don't need to spend that as traction control is legal
Old 10 Mar 2004, 23:27 (Ref:901443)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about this for a radical idea. Join the accelerator to a fuel flow device - call it a 'throttle' - by means of a fixed wire, then the amount of fuel that goes in is controlled by how far you press the accelerator down. Nobody in the crowd will be able to spot it's not fly-by-wire so if you don't tell them they won't worry it's not cutting edge technology.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 01:04 (Ref:901489)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"1.The FIA writes a ruling that can be interpreted differently.Until the rule is writen so there is no ambiguity then teams will do as they please so to speak."

You know, sometimes i'm not quite sure if that's FIA's fault. FIA can't stop something they didn't know exist, and for a sports as complex as F1, it's terribly difficult to write an exact rule to every detail.

The thing is that every team knows the intention of the ruling and the (so-called) "spirit" of it. They know what F1 tries to restrict.. and the "different interpretation" is not that teams unwillingly cross the boundry by reading and understanding the rulebook differently. Rather, teams CHOSE to deliberately understand the rules differently. Simply they find loopholes and twist rules to suit them.

There's little we can do about it than for rival teams to counter-interprete it to have any breach banned.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 02:19 (Ref:901510)   #20
grumpy1
Veteran

I don't disagree GTR with what you say.Far from it in fact.
The rule makers know the teams will find away around these things.Thats part of the game.The only loosers are the smaller teams who can't afford to throw money at things like this.
My point is the rule makers are aware of this and if they were really going to enforce these rules they would employ enginers and IT experts to find these devices.They would also write the rule so there was one interpritation only otherwise the rule is not worth the paper its written on.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 11 Mar 2004 at 02:21.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 02:32 (Ref:901513)   #21
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allowing TC while banning LC was allways an odd thing to do.
I guess the whole point of it all was to eliminate the potentially dangerous situations where the cars was triggered by the driver and everything left to the software.
It should be abit safer now...so that's good
Old 11 Mar 2004, 18:10 (Ref:902208)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Well as long as Microsoft didn't write the software it should be OK.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 13:15 (Ref:903203)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grumpy, the thing is F1 is like a cat and mouse game. The cat tries to catch the mouse, the mouse can run into any crack and come out again out of sight from another end away from the cat..

FIA can hire loads of engineers, no doubt. But the thing is that the "better" engineers would usually be targetted by the other teams, who probably offer better pay and everything else to work for them. So end up, we'd have a case of having good engineers in FIA vs brilliant engineers in teams. And again, the brilliant engineers would find a way out.

Furthermore, it's difficult for FIA to pre-empt every move team makes, the teams simply spend more to squeeze and twist rules even more. FIA is threading a very thin line of being in control, or over-restrictive with F1 developement.

The only good thing now is that we have "internal control", where teams would spend money/manpower to figure if another team cheats. FIA simply sits back and wait for somebody to come up with evidence.

True, as the authority of F1, FIA had shown their inability to keep F1 participants in check. However, it is a harder task than we make it seem.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 14:52 (Ref:903314)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done to Renault for creating perhaps the best posisble legal starting system, and giving viewers (not to mention the other teams) a major surprise at the start. They've done nothing wrong, and clearly studied the rules in great detail.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 15:02 (Ref:903331)   #25
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely if 'launch control' has been banned ANY 'starting system' is illegal?

Controlling'mixture, to reduce power at the start is launch control.
Electonically taking over the clutch operation is launch control.

I have never known a group of people so incapable of agreeing, setting and policing rules!! No wonder F1 continues to implode.