Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1426537)   #1
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Alonso Reads This Forum?

With all the recent talk here about how "unlucky" Kimi has been with engine failures, here's what the next WDC had to say today:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34276

ALONSO BRANDS KIMI "LUCKY"

"A few laps more in Brazil and they break the engine there and we have more points.

"But they can change now and it will be difficult for us to beat them in the race even if they start 11th."

... EDIT: whole article removed.

"If they had happened during the race before or on the Sunday then he would have had 30 or 40 points less and this would have been a big help for me for the drivers' title and for sure for Renault in the constructors'."

---------------
But probably just a coincidence.

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Oct 2005 at 15:41. Reason: No need to copy the entire article, see the FAQ. I've guessed at the important bits for the point you were trying to make. Thanks.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1426580)   #2
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow - I read with interest. thanks.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1426595)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's an interesting take on the situation. I suppose that if you accept that Mclaren engine failures were inevitable, then Kimi has been lucky that they happened in practice or qualifying. A matter of bad luck at a lucky time!! Possibly a bit mischievous by Alonso?
Old 7 Oct 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1426612)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Alonso really that lacking in confidence in his own team that he thinks Kimi can always storm throguh from 11th and beat him? In reality I think Fernanod has finished ahead every time Kimi's had an engine change pre-race. What happened to Renault's brash pre-Brazil claims of having closed the pace gap. And, considering how few failures he's had compared ot Giancarlo, Fernando should be careful who he describes as 'lucky'.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1426642)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, yes; good post, Boots
Old 7 Oct 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1426649)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is hardly the most ridiculous thing he's ever said. It's no less facetious than saying that Fernando himself was lucky to win the title, for example.

And McLaren are still hard to beat from 11th. Alonso has beaten Kimi in those races where he has been hampered with a grid penalty, but he has had to push like mad in each one.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1426656)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One thing that Alonso's comment lacks is outrageousness. From Renault's eyes he is right. Nothing to learn about his deep psyche here.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1426681)   #8
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Good grief! I wonder what a grinding halt engine failure after 8 laps; and a 10 grid place penalty on Sunday will be termed as! I've heard of seeing the glass as one-half full as opposed to one-half empty - but "lucky" in all of the circumstances ... interesting and does say much about the speaker I think.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1426797)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is an engine failing on the cooling down lap lucky? It is only really an extension of that.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1426803)   #10
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
quite entertaining, all of this, I'd say. I just can't wait to see the darn race, personally! Good weekend to all!
Old 8 Oct 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1427397)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Fernando just wants to **** off his rivals as much as possible.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1427411)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I think Fernando just wants to **** off his rivals as much as possible.
I'm afraid he'll get what he wants...
Old 8 Oct 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1427454)   #13
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he was having a bit of a dig at Ron Dennis for Ron's racist comments that latin drivers are crap.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1427481)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well he's employed plenty!
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1427505)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoong Montoya
I think he was having a bit of a dig at Ron Dennis for Ron's racist comments that latin drivers are crap.

That'll be the "racist" Ron Dennis who:

a) is married to an American

b) employs as drivers a Finn, a Columbian, an Austrian and a Spaniard

c) is nurturing the career of a young Black Briton

d) participates in international sport - travelling to countries all round the world

Yep, sounds like a racist to me - not.

What a ludicrous thing to say.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1427510)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Exactly, why would he have Mr Montoya in his team for one thing?
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1427511)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or Senna.

Or Honda.

The list goes on and on and on and on.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1427529)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's consider this comment as a joke.

Or we should close this thread.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1427535)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
No need to swing that bat just yet Bon
Old 8 Oct 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1427540)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Let's just hope Alonso does not read this forum.