Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Dec 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2357218)   #1
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre race checks

Hopefully this is the right forum to post my question, which is...
What are your pre race checks, in terms of what you do in the garage before you leave for the race meeting? And what checks do you carry out at the track after quali and before the race?
Thanks in advance
Old 17 Dec 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2357233)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We always check the wheel nuts...

In between the practice and the race it depends on the time available and what is hot topic. At least the following (done from memory)
Tyre pressures
Tyre condition
Liquids

Before a race, at least the following:
All consumables, including brakes, liquids, tyres, etc...
A check over all the suspension parts.
Wheel bearings.
Valve clearences.
The usual scrutineer check items (lights, cut off, seat etc...).
Give it a clean.

We actually mean to make a list. Too busy checking things.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2357317)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Anna, you have a PM...
Old 18 Dec 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2357340)   #4
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nut and bolt check. All over. By two people. If one misses a bolt it's fairly unlikely the other will too.
Fluids, including obscure things like steering racks or ball joint grease nipples (if applicable).
Tyre pressures - have they gone down a lot since last time? Does that mean yu have a slow puncture?
Battery charged.

Transport vehicle working, legal and in good condition with good fluid levels. Same with trailer (if applicable). And don't forget to check the number plate on the trailer - a bit of cardboard with the numbers written on in pen is not a number plate and could mean you miss one or more of your sessions on track.
Tools. Double check. You will need the thing you don't check for.
Clothing - fire proofs, helmets, other bits you carry. All good? They'll have presumably been cleaned since last use (well, at least the underwear/balaclavas and helmets).

To write a full list could take a while. But you get the idea. If it's obscure but could ruin your weekend then check it. Then it can't.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 06:12 (Ref:2357417)   #5
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also check the brake calipers for bits of rubber that can accumulate at the top the pads. I also pull out the pads and give them a scrape on flat cement or some emery on a flat block to remove any glazing.

And I check that none of the lockwire has broken, if it has I check the nut/bolt then reapply.

Jeff
Old 18 Dec 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2357437)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I used to deglaze pads but found it never made any difference, anyone else do this as a matter of interest? Did loose a wheel once at Cadwell because of bad prep so thats always a good thing to check and use a torque wrench. i would also add apart from what others have said that a quick look at the throttle return spring and making sure it does indeed return is no bad thing.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2357452)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I always take the brake pads out and swap them to the other side of the disc. This counteracts the pad taper wear that will jam them up in the caliper. Obviously this will only work for uniform pads !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Dec 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2357478)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brake pads are always checked, but we don't swap them round. We don't deglaze them, never considered that a problem. Occassionally an unevenly worn pad has been thrown away.

We always remove the race tyres after a race and transport it on slave wheels. The race tyres are then stored in a cool, dry and dark place. It seems that most people are happy to transport (and store?) the car on the race tyres.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2357499)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
Nut and bolt check. All over. By two people. If one misses a bolt it's fairly unlikely the other will too.
Fluids, including obscure things like steering racks or ball joint grease nipples (if applicable).
Tyre pressures - have they gone down a lot since last time? Does that mean yu have a slow puncture?
Battery charged.

Transport vehicle working, legal and in good condition with good fluid levels. Same with trailer (if applicable). And don't forget to check the number plate on the trailer - a bit of cardboard with the numbers written on in pen is not a number plate and could mean you miss one or more of your sessions on track.
Tools. Double check. You will need the thing you don't check for.
Clothing - fire proofs, helmets, other bits you carry. All good? They'll have presumably been cleaned since last use (well, at least the underwear/balaclavas and helmets).

To write a full list could take a while. But you get the idea. If it's obscure but could ruin your weekend then check it. Then it can't.
Very nice if you do it for a living or do nothing for a living and have time to do all that between races.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2357512)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Based on things that have gone wrong in the past....

Before going to the meeting,
Check you have the ignition keys for the race car, check you have enough fuel for the meeting, check you have some spare brake pads/fluid, check you have the handle for your jack, check there's plenty of beer for after the race.

Before going to scrutineering,
Check all your lights are working, check out the length of the queue and make sure you leave enough time for the wait.

Before going to the track,
Check you've put some fuel in, check you've shut/locked/fastened up your bonnet, boot, pannels, hatches, etc., check you've done up your wheel nuts, check you've got both gloves with you, check where you are on the grid.

Old 18 Dec 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2357513)   #11
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Very nice if you do it for a living or do nothing for a living and have time to do all that between races.
Just me and my Dad in the evenings and weekends. Takes one day (or 2 or 3 evenings) to do all of that, including actually setting up the car. But we've got it down to a routine now

I like the swapping of brake pads. Whilst our car has different sized pistons to reduce taper wear we still get it, and it might be a good idea to try swapping them over. But then, I suppose it might mean *something* goes wrong and I end up with no brakes.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2358085)   #12
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Depends if you want to maximise your ROI by having a well prepared and reliable race car I guess...

Ben
Old 19 Dec 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2358204)   #13
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long List here. Takes me about 8 hours to prep my car for a race weekend.

at a minimum:

check each supervisions nut
Fully flush the brake fluid and repace
Check and replace brake pads and rotors

Flush transmission fluid and diff fluid evey two race weekends
Flush radiator fluid every four weekends
Change Oil before each weekend.

Clean my driving suit and underware.

Hook up the OBD and check the cars tune. Most cases nothing has changed. DO take the lap top with me, as I have had to make minor changes at the track if there is a drastic weather change.

Check tires, ( after each event when I clean my wheels I spray luminal and use a black light on the wheels to check for tiny stress cracks.)

at the event and between sessions, Mostly check tires and flush brake fluid.

I take every thing I have with me to the race. Tool chest, fluids, wheels, spare parts, brake pads, rotors, etc.

The only thing I dont take are spare body parts, the cars not mine, spare transmission / Diff.

For a min take brake fluid, brake pads, rotors, and tools to change them, a jack, jack stands and tools to change or remove a wheel.

Brake fluid is the most critical to change between qual and the race.

Then there is the truck and trailer check list to do as well before each event.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 19 Dec 2008 at 12:43.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2358314)   #14
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Long List here. Takes me about 8 hours to prep my car for a race weekend.
There's obviously a wide range in the "level" of racing being talked about here. I don't even own a spare differential, transmission or brake rotors! As for flushing brake fluid between quali and race, that takes me best part of 8 hours by itself.

Perhaps Anna would be kind enough to describe a little more about the racing she is doing.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2358382)   #15
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Perhaps Anna would be kind enough to describe a little more about the racing she is doing.
Mine is very much club level and for fun, but as mentioned before if you put the prep in before hand you should get the maximum out of the track time.
And while AU N EGL's list may seem excessive it is interesting to see what is done through all the levels of the sport as im sure we can all learn from it. So please keep posting even if your at the top of the tree as im always interested.
Thanks all
Anna
Old 19 Dec 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2358432)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
s for flushing brake fluid between quali and race, that takes me best part of 8 hours by itself.
Perhaps I am a bit annal, but you guys ready know that.

I will eat though a set of front rotors & brake pads in two races weekends, a set of rear rotors and brake pads in 4 races weekends.

Yes Anna a description of what car, class and series you race in would help.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2358556)   #17
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The only thing I dont take are spare body parts,
Big !
Old 19 Dec 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2358564)   #18
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
allof the above!

if you dont check it, how do you know its ok?
it is REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying to have a failure at a race for something stupid like a broken wire on the rain light, or not to charge the race battery.

one thing id add, is, dont bother to nut check things til you get to the race meeting, cos during the trip, of 200miles or so, the car has moved a lot and things might be loose! esp on some cars, ours now is brill never does, but the FRenault, was crap for it!

check all feul hoses too when u turn the feul pump on, and of course always take the pin out the the fire extinghuser!

right b4 u go out, think" did i put fuel in", and " did i really do the nuts up" lol
Old 19 Dec 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2358594)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by THR
right b4 u go out, think" did i put fuel in", and " did i really do the nuts up" lol
That is one of the worst.

You check all the lug nuts.
Check the tire air pressue
You go pee
Put on your suite,
ear plugs or radio plugs in the ears and duct tape
your head sock,
get in the car
put on your helmet and HANS. ( then I put my glasses back on though the eye port)

Get the harness latched
plug in the radio
plug in the cool suite hoses ( yes the box is filled with ice water)
snug down the belts.

Take a deep breath, That GOD, My Wife

and flip the electric switch
flip the sump switch
watch the gauges swing

start the motor and ( Gosh dang, son of a gun)

Fuel tank is on empty

GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2358741)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
...start the motor and ( Gosh dang, son of a gun)

Fuel tank is on empty

GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Been there, done that

Anna is right though, it is interesting to see what's done in the "upper levels". Only trouble is, its starting to make me feel a bit guilty about how little I do check before going racing!
Old 20 Dec 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2359033)   #21
Vernon Head
Rookie

Vernon Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was racing on the ovals in 1300 stockcars we were doing as much as AU N EGL (not the brake fluid) plus the repairs that were always needed, just needs a couple of evenings a week. Nothing I hate more than car problems!!!
Old 21 Dec 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2359215)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
I know many guys that do not do the amount or pre or post race work. But when their cars break down, they are out for a month or more,
Old 21 Dec 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2359222)   #23
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
and severl guys who just want to go race and say they are too busy to do any work on their car.

After about the second race of the season their car is down until late in the season, then we see them again or never at all.

Brake fluid goes bad, Dry to Wet boiling points within 30 days of being opened. and if it is used even quicker.

I use Castrol SRF brake fluid and brakes are just something I dont care to guess that they are OK. I have had brake failuer ONCE, never again.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2360448)   #24
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
minifox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when we run a formula one(although early 90s)tends to be run by two people at the track.

nut and bolt usually by two people.
gearbox oil replace.
engine oil replace.
brake fluid bled, disks and pads checked(carbon)
all body work checked for anything that will cause tyre damage,
all pipe work etc checked(tight in the right position etc)
Gearbox is usually checked over and run through well before leaving for the track.
floor checked and re skimmed if needed.
anything that looks tatty replaced or painted etc.

When at the track before we run:
All levels checked,
pressures,
spanner check.
pre heat before run
fire up and shift check
check engine and gearbox for any leaks loose bits etc.
run again just before we leave.
rattle gun wheels
pressures again.
and off we go.

In between runs.

Spanner check
battery on charge
levels checked.
general look over for any damaged parts. if possible replaced or repaired.
Tyre wear and pressures recorded.
pads disks checked.
full car clean.
pre heat, run, shift check and repeat the process before we leave for the run
Old 23 Dec 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2360463)   #25
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE=AU N EGL]That is one of the worst.

i meant if u get that far then panic lol

if i aint got time to chuck some feul in before you are ready then you leave getting ready too late!!

get ready plenty before you are due out! race meetings might run 20mins ahead sometimes, might take wot 10 mins to put feul in? but u need to warm engine perhaps 40mins before due out and in holding area.

prep is everything full stop