Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2355287)   #1
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beumi Bullish

So have been reading a bit about Sebastian Beumi now that it appears as though he is likely to bag a seat at STR.

He seems like he has speed, but still a bit green to be jumping into F1. But, hey, if the powers that be think he deserves the shot.

But, some of this comments about how he has the measure of Bourdais and Sato in recent testing. Wants Button as a team mate and wants to go up agaisnt Vettel as he thinks he has bridged the .2second deficit the last time they tested together.

So, have to ask, being Asustralian we dont get a whole lot of coverage of GP2...is he really that good or wirht raving about. But he won a single race, in all the other categories he has raced in has never won a championship.

He seems to be getting fast tracked, is it ability or backing...or a bit of both?
Old 15 Dec 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2355315)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Beumi ?
Old 15 Dec 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2355333)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Beumi ?
Yet another Sebastian.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2355334)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not another Seb please !
Old 16 Dec 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2355997)   #5
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hm Oz, not sure if they are taking the p1ss or if that is what they really think. It was a legit question guys, we get no coverage of GP2 except for the news rags.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2356048)   #6
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm finding it surprising if Buemi was just 0.2 from Vettel as he states here: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...15145550.shtml
Old 16 Dec 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2356285)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Buemi faster than Vettel shock! horror! Is this the end of Vettel's short F1 career! ? There were times when Webber was faster than Vettel,nuff said.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2356292)   #8
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
It wouldn't be a surprise for the Buemi of F3ES, but he lost something in his GP2 year and a half, now he's back Good for him, Buemi and Button sounds very solid!
Old 16 Dec 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2356293)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Everyone can be faster than Vettel one time or another... and he can be faster than anyone, mostly in wet conditions
Old 16 Dec 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2356315)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure he's as good a prospect as Senna, who they also have first refusal on. If Senna isn't seen as ready yet, the option of retaining Bourdais alongside Button, or running Button and Sato together if marketing in Japan is the big deal. Sato and Bourdais might be as good as Sato and Buemi as well.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2356785)   #11
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32
So, have to ask, being Asustralian we dont get a whole lot of coverage of GP2...is he really that good or wirht raving about. But he won a single race, in all the other categories he has raced in has never won a championship.
He is definately good, he has been there or thereabouts in everything he has raced in, and he has raced in a lot of single-seater championships. As you say though, he is lacking a title, but his CV is something most drivers would only dream of. He has been 'vice-champion' in GP2 Asia, F3 Euroseries, FBMW ADAC and the FBMW world final, that isn't bad. He is also a race winner in Formula Renault Eurocup and the North European Cup. And his testing pace in F1 really isn't shabby.

He has ability and also has loads of backing obviously, so i'd say it was both. He wouldn't be bad in F1 in 2009 IMO, but he would be better prepared if he did one more season in GP2 to take a title at last.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2356794)   #12
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Yeah, definetely, he's still very young This year, while watching the ITV internet feed w/o commentary, Buemi along with a friend met Bernie on the grid who asked him "Show me your pass, did you turn 18?"
Old 17 Dec 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2357272)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm not sure he's as good a prospect as Senna, who they also have first refusal on. If Senna isn't seen as ready yet, the option of retaining Bourdais alongside Button, or running Button and Sato together if marketing in Japan is the big deal. Sato and Bourdais might be as good as Sato and Buemi as well.
I'm curious to see what the Senna outcome is. Now that Honda per se has disappeared, I could still see Ross Brawn conjuring a phoenix from the ashes, with Button and Bruno (or maybe Barrichello again) as drivers.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 23:31 (Ref:2357326)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I'm curious to see what the Senna outcome is. Now that Honda per se has disappeared, I could still see Ross Brawn conjuring a phoenix from the ashes, with Button and Bruno (or maybe Barrichello again) as drivers.
Bruno or Rubens, whoever will be, must bring money... and none of them have it.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2357357)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Who does ?
Old 18 Dec 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2357360)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Not me I'm sure.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2357464)   #17
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like anyone these days can fly around the track at speed if they are a half decent driver, looks at thos F3 Italians in the Ferrari test, one one them posted some very fast times.

It is only testing and means nothing, we dont know what programme they are running.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2357469)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Agreed.

The ease at which even a novice can jump into a contemporary F1 car and be immediately quick is a little disturbing.Maybe we should wait until he tries next years car ?
Old 18 Dec 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2357591)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

But how do we know how many are not good at the test ? We just know when guys are fast enough.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2357888)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All we know is that Beumi is fastest on lap times. But we don't know if that is in equal cars, what the other rogrammes are etc.

Its not an apples for apples situation and so often in the past we have assumed people quick in winter testing has an advantage at the start of the season. They didn't.

We will not really be sure until Melbourne, where they will not be running the cars they are now....
Old 5 Jan 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2365450)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Buemi is pretty much confirmed by Berger.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...buemi-for-str/
Old 11 Jan 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2369523)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
And now it's officially confirmed, so the attention switches to the identity of his team-mate.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2369540)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
And now it's officially confirmed, so the attention switches to the identity of his team-mate.
Could they be keeping their cards close to their chest until they see what happens with Honda / Jenson Button?
Old 11 Jan 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2369575)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Could they be keeping their cards close to their chest until they see what happens with Honda / Jenson Button?
That seems logical to me.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2372898)   #25
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
The ease at which even a novice can jump into a contemporary F1 car and be immediately quick is a little disturbing.Maybe we should wait until he tries next years car ?
Thats nonsensical when regarding Buemi. There have been hundreds of times in the past when people stepped out of an F3 car after 2 years (for example) into a Grand Prix test and have been immediately on the pace. It's nothing new whatsoever. And with Buemi, he is hardly inexperienced. He has had five years in junior formulae (the same amount as Hamilton, and much more than Raikkonen, Button, Alonso etc..). He first tested an F1 car 2 years ago. He has competed in over 150 races ranging from FBMW, Formula Renault Eurocup, Formula Renauly NEC, F3 Euroseries, GP2 Asia and GP2. And he has won in ALL of those categories. His pace isn't 'disturbing' at all. Nick Heidfeld had a test with Prost in early 2000 and was very very quick for example. It's nothing new.