Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Apr 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1898074)   #1
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Rick Kelly's luck going to bag him another championship

Rick has won his second round in 3 races both due to luck and strange rules. He won The Clipsal 500 because he won the second race even though Todd had more points, he has now won NZ due to the race being cut short for TV scheduling !!!!! Is this champions luck, it seems to me that he has inherited the luck Skaife had in 2000-2001, all the cards just seemed to fall his way and even when things went wrong he'd get lucky and recover.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1898096)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure he'll bag another championship.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1898105)   #3
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He should be renamed TEFLON CRASH BANDICOOT
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Apr 2007, 02:18 (Ref:1898131)   #4
bentate
Racer

bentate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange that you would call Rick's results luck?

The guy qualified well, drove cleanly and so far has posted three strong round results. How is that 'luck'?

If it was Courtney or Frosty doing the winning all the Ford fans would be shouting from the highest mountain how skilled and naturally talented they are. But as it's Rick, it must just be good luck according to some...

The rule has always been that when you finish a round on equal points the guy who finishes highest in the last race wins (I didn't hear many complain when Ingall got his only 05' round win that way or when Ambrose got the round win against Skaife at OP the same year based on where he finished in the final race).

It amuses me that so many bagged out R Kelly for his lack of round wins in 06' and now the guy has come out and won two rounds in a row and leads this year's series and still there are the knockers that just can't let it go and aknowledge that R Kelly has developed into a mature, fast and accomplished driver.

I'm still waiting to see the championship challenge from the 'people's champ' or was he the 'moral champ' I forget ???

To quote an old Ford driver - Mr A Moffatt 'The harder I work the luckier I get'.

Last edited by bentate; 23 Apr 2007 at 02:24.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 03:26 (Ref:1898164)   #5
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year his 'luck' was the points system. This years 'luck' is the fastest car, the best team and flawless driving. If he keeps this up then the championship will be well deserved. A least the number 1 car is up where it should be unlike last year.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 03:31 (Ref:1898167)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i recall alot of champions have had luck.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1898181)   #7
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
his luck will run out......the rest of the feild will catch the red team in terms of development soon....then he'll be under pressure and crack....I reckon he'll finish about 5th in the championship by the end of the year.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 05:09 (Ref:1898195)   #8
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentate
Strange that you would call Rick's results luck?

The guy qualified well, drove cleanly and so far has posted three strong round results. How is that 'luck'?

If it was Courtney or Frosty doing the winning all the Ford fans would be shouting from the highest mountain how skilled and naturally talented they are. But as it's Rick, it must just be good luck according to some...

The rule has always been that when you finish a round on equal points the guy who finishes highest in the last race wins (I didn't hear many complain when Ingall got his only 05' round win that way or when Ambrose got the round win against Skaife at OP the same year based on where he finished in the final race).

It amuses me that so many bagged out R Kelly for his lack of round wins in 06' and now the guy has come out and won two rounds in a row and leads this year's series and still there are the knockers that just can't let it go and aknowledge that R Kelly has developed into a mature, fast and accomplished driver.

I'm still waiting to see the championship challenge from the 'people's champ' or was he the 'moral champ' I forget ???

To quote an old Ford driver - Mr A Moffatt 'The harder I work the luckier I get'.

Bentate, I happen to be a Holden fan, and if you read my original post you'll realise that no where did I say he is not driving well, He is driving very well, but not spectacularly well, he has been out paced by his teammate for most of last year and 2 out of 3 rounds this year but has the points on the board, luck seems to be playing it's part and sometimes this is the stuff that can turn a championship.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 06:19 (Ref:1898232)   #9
bentate
Racer

bentate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
Bentate, I happen to be a Holden fan, and if you read my original post you'll realise that no where did I say he is not driving well, He is driving very well, but not spectacularly well, he has been out paced by his teammate for most of last year and 2 out of 3 rounds this year but has the points on the board, luck seems to be playing it's part and sometimes this is the stuff that can turn a championship.
Trev you said Rick won his sceond round due to luck and strange rules. My point is that firstly, it wasn't luck in my opinion. He drove well, kept out of trouble and his team did a great job in the pits. Luck? I don't think so.

As for the strange rules. All the teams were aware of the time limitation on the race (it was relayed to the drivers in the briefing and was issued as part of teh event conditions). Timed races have been part of the series for years. Even Bathurst has a time limit!

You can certainly disagree with the organisers and telecaster for not organising a more TV friendly event schedule, but how many teams and drivers have won races thanks to uncommon events?

A poor pit call here, a black flag there, a drive through penalty or even a badly or brilliantly timed pace car?

My point is that the guy out the front generally always deserves the win because he's, well, out the front. Kelly is no exception. He battled through traffic and played his pit stop strategy well and won fair and square.

You call it luck, I call it skill, just a different way to look at the same result....
Old 23 Apr 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1898250)   #10
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
Rick has won his second round in 3 races both due to luck and strange rules. He won The Clipsal 500 because he won the second race even though Todd had more points, he has now won NZ due to the race being cut short for TV scheduling !!!!! Is this champions luck, it seems to me that he has inherited the luck Skaife had in 2000-2001, all the cards just seemed to fall his way and even when things went wrong he'd get lucky and recover.
Its not "LUCK" as you would call it, but its the rules. He is putting the car where it needs to be and thats up front. He was leading when they stopped the race short, and Tander was in 8th, so they finished on eqaull points. Rules say the winner or higher placed car in the final race wins. Also at Clipsal the winner is always who wins on Sunday. Lowndes is a Clipsal winner after crashing out on Saturday remember.

Also Rick wasn't Lucky to win the championship last year. Lowndes lost it with his driving and temper at Indy. Philip Island was one of those racing things that happen, but if the so called "Best in the business" Lowndes had of kept his cool at Indy, he would be champion.

Oh and before you bag me, I am a 100% FORD fan, just dont like Lowndes.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1898362)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think its more poor strategy on behalf of GT and his team, than good luck by rick

Coped a penalty at Clipsal in the pits and had to delay this time in the pits.

Why did he come in so early on the weekend, was there an issue that meant he couldnt wait a few laps, rater than pit in the rush
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1898393)   #12
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheesh, the bloke comes out and does exactly what people bagged him last year for not doing (ie: winning rounds/races), and now its luck??

As for all this crap about Rick stealing Tanders set-ups, RK was the one who hit the ground running during 1st practice and had the pace. Maybe Tander used Rick's set-up for quali, who knows?

Credit where credit is due people...
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:35 (Ref:1898395)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think he is still using some of his tactics of 06 consistant upfront and keep his nose clean, but he has thrown abit of agresion in, and won when it has presented itself.

but i don't get the reason behind critisizing him for winning and last year critisizing him for being consistant, now he is doing both and getting critisized for it, so i say good luck to him if he can bag 2 in a row that way it might shut the critics up.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 23 Apr 2007 at 10:41.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1898446)   #14
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one year we might even get a champion who can beat his team mate!!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1898542)   #15
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSVDT have the pace over the rest of the field. There is no luck in that. Tander won 5 races in a row and looks to have the pace over his teammate. But it's still early days and luck won't decide the championship victor. Not with the current sensible point system.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1898550)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drive as fast as necessary, keep out of trouble has always been the way to win championships. He seems able to acheive both of those whichever style is needed, and if luck is what's needed in order to be at the front at the right time, then I guess he is lucky.

To quote Arnold Palmer when asked about his lucky shots: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

It's just possible, of course, that Rick is proving to be a very good race driver.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1898561)   #17
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon guys it's all about luck. Lowndes was lucky in the late nineties, Skaife was lucky in 00, 01, 02, Ambrose was lucky in 03, 04and now Kelly’s lucky. It’s got nothing to do with skill, its all about who doesn’t walk under a ladder and who’s got the biggest rabbit’s foot.

Just thank god it wasn’t a Ford driver who took the round win from Tander or vice versa. Imagine the uproar then.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1899236)   #18
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I'll tell why he is doing so well:

1. He is in a Walkinshoddy car - instant advantage.
2. He never tries to pass anybody so he doesnt get into trouble.
3. He doesnt drive as fast as Nose, Toddler or Silly so nothing ever breaks on his car.
4. This is the Big One - his Mum is in charge of the wheel nut allocation at Tool Racing which means he will get past Silly at the pit stop.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1899239)   #19
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
To quote Arnold Palmer when asked about his lucky shots: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
sorry mate ... but that was Gary Player who said that
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1899267)   #20
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
I'll tell why he is doing so well:

1. He is in a Walkinshoddy car - instant advantage.
2. He never tries to pass anybody so he doesnt get into trouble.
3. He doesnt drive as fast as Nose, Toddler or Silly so nothing ever breaks on his car.
4. This is the Big One - his Mum is in charge of the wheel nut allocation at Tool Racing which means he will get past Silly at the pit stop.
So are you saying that he is being sensible deeks?

Wow, didn't see that one coming

Looks to me as if someone is driving to the new points system very well...
Old 24 Apr 2007, 12:18 (Ref:1899286)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy
So are you saying that he is being sensible deeks?
Indeed I am ...

And the little princess is very very cute ... however just wait until she is 17 and you WILL want to kill her
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1899679)   #22
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Indeed I am ...

And the little princess is very very cute ... however just wait until she is 17 and you WILL want to kill her
I'm really worried, she is not even 2 yet, and already has boys chasing her at kindy!! I can't begin to imagine how bad the teen years are going to be...

I'm thinking a nunnery is the go.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 03:00 (Ref:1899792)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

In any case, if a Holden must win the championship lets hope it is Rick ... then he can GIVE BACK the one he stole from Lowndes
Old 25 Apr 2007, 03:06 (Ref:1899795)   #24
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
In any case, if a Holden must win the championship lets hope it is Rick ... then he can GIVE BACK the one he stole from Lowndes
Go deeks, methinks this will be a long year for you and the moral champion
Old 25 Apr 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1900010)   #25
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how well Lowndes was going to go under this years points system????

Not really sure who Rick is supposed to pass when 98% of the field are behind him anyway?

You make your own luck sometimes. Tander lucked out, Skaife lucked out, Steven Richards lucked out etc etc, but you still can't win a championship without being up the front, especially this year.

It's still early days though so I expect his "luck" will not last forever. Although we will have to acknowledge that anyone who wins races this year will only have done so because they are lucky not because they deserved it!