Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1346288)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners and Losers - Kansas

My winners -

1 - AGR, for doing a superb sand bagging job on everyone! They were awsome today...

2 - Chevy, who is now so competitve, I can't see them leaving this series any longer.

3 - Kansas Speedway, for again packing the house! These crowds are very likely to keep both Honda and Chevy here. Has anyone else noticed the big crowds since Indy?

My Losers -

1 - Scott Dixon, who appears to have just given up. He beat only Jimmy Kite. By Ganassi's comments today, he obviously believes that Briscoe is his best driver. Scott could very well be gone for next year.

2 - Scott Sharp, while not really a loser, is just frustrating as hell! He constantly drops way back, then always comes back and gets into the top 3, but never leads, and never wins. Can he win?

Not many losers today, it was a clean, exciting race!

Who are your winners and losers?

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1346308)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Superb, clean race and a great finish. Made up for the slightly soporific F1 and GP2 races in Magny Cours today!
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1346313)   #3
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Winners
Tony Kanaan - great drive, great finish.
Dan Wheldon - didn't let Tony gain on him by much.
Panther - good solid finish by both cars.
Scott Sharp - looked really racey today.
The fans in Kansas - what a race to witness!

Losers
RHL - other than Vitor, Danica and Buddy lost 16 places combined from the start.
Bryan Herta - disquiet in the ranks, but if Bryan is going to grumble he's got to start producing better than 15th when the rest of his team are in the top four.
Barnhart's credibility - if Enge warranted a penalty last week, then Scheckter should have been driving through today for that undertaking move on Kanaan.

Last edited by infoxicated; 3 Jul 2005 at 20:47. Reason: typo
Old 4 Jul 2005, 01:54 (Ref:1346482)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Winners:
* Kansas/IRL - While the term "packed" would be incorrect due to a lot of empty seats randomly distributed, there were a heck of a lot of people there.
* Meira - Consistantly at the front while his teammates languished in the back. Obviously he was doing something that his Rice couldn't.

Losers:
* Us for having to hear about Danica constantly. Personally I don't care about her if she's in 16th not doing anything!
* Ganassi - I still cannot get use to a team that once had a record period of performance that only Penske can relate to, relagated to backmarker status. It's not like they have poor drivers either. We're talking about championships in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, should have 2000 if not for reliability, 2nd 2002, championship 2003! They were US OW's Ferrari equivilant.
* Rice - He's had some really off times this season. He's gone from one of the stars to near also ran status.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1346502)   #5
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sharp's problem is that the Aguri/Fernandez team has only 2 cars this year and get no useful testing data from Matsuura because he's rather inexperienced and his english is still quite poor.

Scheckter was not penalized because per Barnhart's instruction, he let Kanaan pass him.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1348072)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When Sharp got up to 3rd, and challenged for 2nd, he got pinched in the middle between an inside car he tried to pass and a car on the outside trying to pass him...

He had nowhere to go and the hole in front of him was closing fast....thus he let off the throttle and dropped to about 12th....

Did a nice job of fighting his way back up to 6th, though....

Just in the wrong place at the wrong time....that's just racing luck...

He drove a good race on Sunday....a very good race....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1353756)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
1 - AGR, for doing a superb sand bagging job on everyone! They were awsome today...
It is interesting that they don't seem to be so dominant in qualifying. Do you think it is a set-up thing with their car, or do they just not care about qualifying? Wheldon said that it is something they would like to get sorted in Autosport last week though.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1354039)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It is interesting that they don't seem to be so dominant in qualifying. Do you think it is a set-up thing with their car, or do they just not care about qualifying? Wheldon said that it is something they would like to get sorted in Autosport last week though.
Well, my guess is they care about qualifying, but there not going to sacrifice a good race set-up to get it.

On the superspeedways, they always seem to have the power and speed to catch-up no matter where they qualify, so I think Wheldon maybe playing up the "frustration" AGR has had with qualifying!

Just watch Kannan slice through the field, coming from last to first in a matter of 3-5 laps. Pretty awesome stuff!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1354109)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought that too. They can't care too much where they are on the grid, because they all have the car and the talent to get to the front very quickly and (importantly) continue to stay there until the end.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1354118)   #10
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I think Wheldon maybe playing up the "frustration" AGR has had with qualifying!
I don't know what Wheldon was playing at there - to be moaning about qualifying when you've just had a one-two finish is a bit much.

TK said that he didn't work on qualifying at all - something to the affect of dialing in his race set-up, sticking some new tyres on it and qualifying. For a track like Kansas you can kind of get away with that, especially with the Honda engine, but he better get used to qualifying a bit better on those road courses we could be seeing more of.

Last edited by macdaddy; 12 Jul 2005 at 22:14.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1354128)   #11
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they know that as long as they put down a lap they'll be at worst 12th-14th and be ahead of most of the Toyotas and probably the Fernandez & D&R cars so all they'll have to pass are the cars they'll be racing anyway, the Rahal, Panther, and Penske cars.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1354130)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is true, qualifying is less of an issue on an oval. I guess they may well have a different programme on road courses which gives greater importance to qualifying.

I don't think Dan was whinging about qualifying he is just stating what a lot of people have said. He said they always turn it around for the race and also said "it is frustrating for all the team". So it isn't just him.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1354153)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoxicated
This quote was from a post which has subsequently been removed.
Dan is the kind of driver that you just want to see win, because he looks like he is having so much fun out there. No pretensions, no airs. He is a kind of a throwback figure, like the kind of drivers we used to have, that would be happy driving a race car for beer money!

Last edited by macdaddy; 12 Jul 2005 at 22:12.

Danica Patrick