Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jan 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3607128)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
5.1 GPO Van Diff

Anyone know of or have a 5.1 BMC GPO Van diff please.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3607155)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
none here Iain but I know of a 5.3 that might be available
Old 22 Jan 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3607199)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
none here Iain but I know of a 5.3 that might be available
Yes please . I got it wrong about 5.1 being GPO van it is a 5.3
Old 22 Jan 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3607215)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Anyone know of or have a 5.1 BMC GPO Van diff please.

Iain - I have both a 5.125 and 5.375 sitting in the garage. They both have the 8 tooth pinion with either the 41 or 43 tooth crownwheel. I am not sure what the 5.125 came off as I've always associated the GPO van with the 5.375 ratio. I've kept them as reserves in case I run out of the 4.875(8:39) that I need for the Elite and Mk 9. They now really need to be treated as consumables with the level of power being put through them!

I did try a 5.375 in the Elite a few years back, but it is more of a sprint/hillclimb ratio and over the years I've worked out that the 4.875 is the optimum diff for the Elite.

Certainly happy to part with the 5.375 and could be talked into selling the 5.125 if I could get another spare 4.875 (I'm down to my last one....)
Old 22 Jan 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3607226)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ok thanks Brian and David . I'm off to South Africa Tuesday back Feb 15 th . Can I contact you then please . I remember we used the 4.875 on the 17 so I might just have one .
Old 23 Jan 2016, 09:10 (Ref:3607271)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Are they not being reproduced yet ? THe Ford ones have been for some time . . .
Old 23 Jan 2016, 10:54 (Ref:3607287)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Not AFAIK. Heathrow Transmissions are fitting new 3.9s and 3.7s so I'll ask them next time I'm up there.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3607295)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Billy Bellinger is having ten sets of 4.875 ratio made at the mo.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3607297)   #9
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what sort of value are we talking about. I may know where there is a 5.1 and a 5.3. I can approach, but it would help the conversation if I have an idea of what sort of money they are. I dont know if they are £5, £50 or £500

Geraint
Old 23 Jan 2016, 15:33 (Ref:3607329)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Are they not being reproduced yet ? THe Ford ones have been for some time . . .
I seem to remember using those Austin/Morris diffs in Ford axles in the old Hot Rod days ? I don't think I'm imagining it but I suppose I am getting on a bit
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jan 2016, 07:26 (Ref:3608031)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As this thread got lost on page 5 after the calendar entries, thought would bring back to P1 in case anyone has more to add.....
Old 26 Jan 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3608084)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
what sort of value are we talking about. I may know where there is a 5.1 and a 5.3. I can approach, but it would help the conversation if I have an idea of what sort of money they are. I dont know if they are £5, £50 or £500

Geraint
Thanks Geraint, I guess you would have to ask the question how much the seller wants. I am normally pretty good estimating prices for parts like this. Off the top of my head around £250.00 for each diff.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3609078)   #13
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To go back a few posts, and slightly off-topic, I am interested in Brian's comment about 4.875 being right for an Elite. Can I ask if that is with a standard ratio ZF box and 15 inch wheels with 5.00L's please? I am sorting out ratios and a diff for something that is quite like an Elite, but isn't one! Many thanks, Robert
Old 29 Jan 2016, 17:51 (Ref:3609091)   #14
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thanks Geraint, I guess you would have to ask the question how much the seller wants. I am normally pretty good estimating prices for parts like this. Off the top of my head around £250.00 for each diff.
Damn....I have just checked and the diffs were in a pile of stuff stolen from my fathers workshop about 2 years ago........ggggrrrrr
Old 29 Jan 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3609144)   #15
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
To go back a few posts, and slightly off-topic, I am interested in Brian's comment about 4.875 being right for an Elite. Can I ask if that is with a standard ratio ZF box and 15 inch wheels with 5.00L's please? I am sorting out ratios and a diff for something that is quite like an Elite, but isn't one! Many thanks, Robert

The ratio works with both the ZF and MG Magnette box. I have both boxes but prefer using the MG one.

Rear wheels are the standard 15 inch with 5.00L15 Dunlops (4.50L15 on the front).

When I first got the Mk 9 Lotus, we changed the diff also to 4.875 and it works on this just as well. But remember the short stroke Climax (FWA and FWE) loves high revs. If your engine has a more restricted rev range, the 4.875 might be a tad too low geared.
Old 30 Jan 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3609222)   #16
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting Brian and many thanks. I have a small Climax engine in the car I am preparing, but don't expect to rev it much beyond 7.5K. All the other parameters are the same. I had been thinking of 4.5 or 4.7 max for the diff, so your 4.875 got me thinking. The car is a Lotus 7 S1. Many thanks again, Robert
Old 17 Feb 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3615488)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Iain you have a PM...