Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 May 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1309958)   #1
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speedy misfire diagnosis

My mate showed me this one .
V12 Ferrari on 11 cylinders ,obviously one cylinder not doing its thing , but which one ? Howered (my mate ) walks up spits on finger and checks heat on every cylinder in about 10 seconds, about three cylinder to the spit. Number 7 cold , pull plug lead off a bit and listen for crack from lead if it cracks ( obviously got spark at the lead ) remove plug to check plug or investigate further . If the plug is just fouled up leave plug lead with an "Air gap" to the plug .You might get lucky and clear a fouled up plug. This particular Ferrari was started from cold and had fouled its plug up Howered took the offending plug out and cleaned it and it when on all day after that, not missing a beat. In the passed I have pulled leads off one by one with my insulated pliers to see which cylinder Ok on a 4 but on a 12 takes ages I was very impressed Just alittle more spit or substitute spit with water on your finger if the car has just been steaming around race track .
Old 25 May 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1310299)   #2
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We got high tech now and use Raytek Infra red guns to do the same thing.

Although we still have to resort to spit when you can't get the gun near the header!
Old 26 May 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1310535)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
what grade of spit ? I use SAE20 . . .gives a better fizzle
Old 26 May 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1310551)   #4
maddogf3
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
We got high tech now and use Raytek Infra red guns to do the same thing.

Although we still have to resort to spit when you can't get the gun near the header!
Its actualy better and safer for one, if you can use an apprentice to do it ! when he screams the least you know you have the correct cylinder
Old 26 May 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1311105)   #5
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another trick is to get some of those little thermal strips that show the temperature, and stick one on the end of a long cable tie. Put it near the header pipe, look at the temp. One with lowest temp am not going bang. Saw this used by the engine men from Cosworth when Mr Herbert's engine refused to run on 10 at Jerez back in '99, (when I last did some proper work for a living!)

Cheaper than a Raytek gun. More technical than a spitoon, and cleverer than an apprentice.

Rob.
Old 27 May 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1311394)   #6
maddogf3
Racer

England
Cheaper than a Raytek gun. More technical than a spitoon, and cleverer than an apprentice.

Rob.[/QUOTE]
Yes it might be more technical . But I think you will agree that its not as quick ( it being acheived in seconds ) and just as accurate for misfire diagnosis . My veiw is what ever you have in life and motor racing is -- Any equipment needs to be easy to use, easy to get too, foolproof and reliable . If none of these are met then the stuff gets slung to the bottom of the toolbox or get hidden away never to be used again I would have said F1 mechs had temp strips in rear pocket or close at hand to use them or they were unaware of the spit trick .I was, up until last year I pulled leads off and I thought that was quickest most accurate way . Only trouble was I had to get insulated pliers . When I was younger I just pulled the leads off and faced the odd "Whack" as an occupational hazard
Old 27 May 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1311736)   #7
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does you mate take off the lead without insulating pliers then!?
Old 27 May 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1311871)   #8
maddogf3
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS
How does you mate take off the lead without insulating pliers then!?
It was me that took the leads off . You use those things called fingers again . If you are careful,only grab rubber cap and are quite insulated on your feet you dont get a whack not even with trany ignition and keep body parts away from car . As I said my bottle has gone now and I will only do it for money these days the other thing is , I have my insulated pliers in the box and they are bright yellow .Dont be scared ,have a go ( I look forward to you reporting back when you've done it )
Take care
Martin