Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens seriously ****ed off!!!

Thought this was pretty funny:

BARRICHELLO BLASTS IRVINE
2002-04-14 16:35:00 www.itv-f1.com

Rubens Barrichello slammed Ferrari predecessor Eddie Irvine after the San Marino Grand Prix.

The Ferrari man was less than impressed when Irvine let Ralf Schumacher lap him before blocking Barrichello’s attempts to get past.

The Brazilian left Irvine in no doubt of his feelings, giving him the finger as he eventually muscled past.

Barrichello said: "I just made a sign that told him to go to hell! Considering that he is the one that talks so much in the briefings and everything - bla, bla, bla - it's odd that he goes and holds me up for three-quarters of a lap.

"When he let Ralf by, in a nice way, he could have let me by at the same place but he came back in and stayed there for another five or six corners. It was just silly, that's all. But he's getting old..."

hahaha I'd like to see where this leads...I'm sure Irvine will have a thing or two to say (as usual). But I'm glad to see Rubens getting some of that frustration out...must be hard keeping it all bottled up (being Schumi's whipping boy and all)
I especially like the "he's getting old part"!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:44 (Ref:260238)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite rightly so too from Rubens' point of view. Of course Eddie should have let Rubens by earlier, on the other hand, Rubens could have been a little more determined into the corner after Ralf had passed Irvine, because there certainly was room for him to pass there, but he backed off. TGF would have gone for it.

After that, Irv was deliberately holding Rubens up for several corners. I suppose the experience from his Ferrari days are still in his mind, meaning that he will only wag for a Schumacher...
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:01 (Ref:260256)   #3
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit, I thought "he's holding up a red car", where's the drive through penalty?
Must have been the wrong red car!!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:06 (Ref:260260)   #4
AAReagles
Rookie

AAReagles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny W.
I must admit, I thought "he's holding up a red car", where's the drive through penalty?
Must have been the wrong red car!!

Does make ya wonder.

Let's see... MS has control at Ferrari... control with the FIA governing body... and control of fellow competitors now too ?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:22 (Ref:260264)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Rubens said all that was needed to be said (gestured) while passing him....
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:34 (Ref:260268)   #6
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
FIA ought to let drivers to have audio intercom between them during races, and let us hear it. It would be funny to listen Barrichello words to Eddie, or Monty against Schuey or viceversa. An universe of possibilities
Old 14 Apr 2002, 19:17 (Ref:260287)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie was wrong to hold up Rubens , considering that Eddie is the 2nd best driver in the world you would have thought he would have known better !
Old 14 Apr 2002, 19:52 (Ref:260315)   #8
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best bit was Eddie's response which I thought was a bit horrible, but funny anyway:

"I may be older than Rubens but I will never be as ugly"!

Handbags at 20 paces in Barcelona perhaps?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:09 (Ref:260355)   #9
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On my observation, Eddie got back on line for the Tamburello chicane immediately after Ralf blew by, then had just enough oomph to precede Rubens to Villeneuve, and then went wide at Tosa to let Rubens by. Rubens then easily zipped back up to Ralf. How this constitutes his being held up for three-quarters of a lap, deliberately, I cannot imagine. But then, Rubens has a lot on his mind -- and many reasons to be paranoid, given that he's subject to his team-mate's every whim -- so almost anything that happens to him probably fits into this diabolical scheme, in his mind.

Sigh.

Last edited by Bibendum; 14 Apr 2002 at 21:10.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 23:16 (Ref:260444)   #10
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens has been guilty of holding people up as well. To be fair to Eddie, he was obviously frustrated and I cant blame him. Having to battle with the Minardis is not something that any grand prix winner would enjoy.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 23:52 (Ref:260472)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO it's a case of pent-up frustration just boiling over for Rubens, and the (unfortunate?) Irvine received it.

Once RB takes a look at the replay, he'll notice it wasn't as bad as first thought.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 00:08 (Ref:260484)   #12
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Schummy
FIA ought to let drivers to have audio intercom between them during races, and let us hear it. It would be funny to listen Barrichello words to Eddie, or Monty against Schuey or viceversa. An universe of possibilities
Ditto Schummy!! Best idea I've heard around here in a long time!!

and by the way did Irvine really say that??? Cause if he did that's a little below the belt....but funny as hell!!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 00:59 (Ref:260524)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Eddie thought it was Ferrari´s #1 car
Old 15 Apr 2002, 01:04 (Ref:260527)   #14
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Reubens should be a little more pi55ed about TGF taking HIS race car because it was faster in qualifying. Irvine is a moron in an F1 Yugo anyway. I wonder how much more of himself he is going to have to give to TGF and Scuderia Ferrari. What's next Reubens? Gonna give Mikey a go with your lady? Be a man and stand up for yourself. If you are half as pi55ed as I am, you should be just about ready to kill...............COME ON REUBENS
Old 15 Apr 2002, 03:33 (Ref:260627)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think that both Ralf and Rubens had the same rights to pass Eddie, and that Eddie held Rubens up quite a lot, judging by hte distance Ralf was able to gain. One more corner and I think Eddie would have been penalised. However, how do you penalise a Jaguar ten places on the grid? Yoong would be the only one to gain any advantage as the Jaguar is right back near the rear anyway.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 05:51 (Ref:260671)   #16
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rollhoop
I think Reubens should be a little more pi55ed about TGF taking HIS race car because it was faster in qualifying.
We talking about the same race here mate?

Seemed to me that Ruben's raced the car that MS acheived POLE in.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:18 (Ref:260799)   #17
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can just see it now:
the toad rushes down to the jaguar pit.
LAUDA: "OK, toad, i will tell eddie to let rubens past"

TOAD: "NO, tell eddie to hold him up, he is getting too close to micheal, and we dont want to upset micheal now, do we"
Old 15 Apr 2002, 11:25 (Ref:260876)   #18
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunslinger

We talking about the same race here mate?

Seemed to me that Ruben's raced the car that MS acheived POLE in.
I stand corrected....he took Reubens car because it was faster in warm-up. This was broadcast on itv. As I'm in the States and have SpeedChannel I'm going with what was posted by all of the European viewers. Doesn't sound too far fetched to me.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 02:04 (Ref:261698)   #19
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what Eddie had to say -

"I might be older than Rubens but I'll never be as ugly," he joked. "He's just being over emotional as usual.

"I had already let Ralf by and was quite prepared to do the same for him. I always race fairly and had nothing to gain by holding him up. But he didn't take the initiative. He should learn to count because it was only two corners later I let him by."

Trust Eddie to come back with a real snorter. Thats hitting below the belt Eddie...but oh well - Irv's Irv
Old 16 Apr 2002, 02:04 (Ref:261699)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine's comments:

"I might be older than Rubens but I'll never be as ugly. He is just being over-emotional as usual. I had already let Ralf by and I looked in the mirror and saw Rubens coming and was quite prepared to do the same for him. I always race fairly and had nothing to gain in holding him up. But he didn't take the initiative. He should learn to count because it was only two corners later that I let him by."
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Apr 2002, 03:01 (Ref:261715)   #21
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mania, I don't see how Irv is hitting below the belt. His account is accurate, from my tape of the passing "incident." He's teasing Reubens about age/beauty, obviously.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 04:06 (Ref:261728)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bibendum
He's teasing Reubens about age/beauty, obviously.
I don't know about that, there could be a little truth to it
Old 16 Apr 2002, 05:28 (Ref:261743)   #23
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Irvine's comments:

"I might be older than Rubens but I'll never be as ugly. He is just being over-emotional as usual. I had already let Ralf by and I looked in the mirror and saw Rubens coming and was quite prepared to do the same for him. I always race fairly and had nothing to gain in holding him up. But he didn't take the initiative. He should learn to count because it was only two corners later that I let him by."

ooops! i posted a new thread for this quote...

just thought this quote was PRICELESS!!

*all fixed F1grandprixshop* - Wrex

Last edited by Wrex; 16 Apr 2002 at 05:33.

7650-wallpaper Yahoo! Groups - F1 Wallpapers for your Nokia phones
Old 16 Apr 2002, 05:29 (Ref:261744)   #24
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Eddie Irvine's greatest overtaking move!

hehehheheee....did he actually say all those words? if only 'the 2nd best driver in F1' have a competitve car, then we could see a rivalry on the tracks between Rubens & the motormouth....

If only Williams have JPM & the motormouth....it could be a blast on & off track!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 06:20 (Ref:261760)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Irvine's comments:

Irvine let Ralf pass him on the first corner after start/finish, and Rubens on the sixth.
That's five corners later. But not anything near three quarters of a lap.

Maybe Rubens meant to say that he was held up by Irvine during 3/4 of a lap. But looking at this quote, it looks as if he implies that Irvine did that after letting Ralf pass him.

------------------------

By the way, if Irvine realy thinks it was only 2 corners, that explains why he didn't let Rubens pass him on an earlier occasion.