Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Apr 2004, 00:08 (Ref:931685)   #1
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's official (N-H)!

I nabbed this from TF.
I think it's very, very, very good news
(and Newman's name is on the press release...I mean, Queen Kahti herself has it on there )

NEWMAN/HAAS RACING TO RETURN TO THE INDY 500 FOR FIRST TIME SINCE 1995
A single entry was filed today

Kathi Lauterbach

Source: NHR

Newman/Haas Racing announced today that they have filed an entry for the 88th running of the Indianapolis 500 to be held on May 30, 2004. It will be the first time the team has attempted to compete at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway since 1995.

The 2004 entry will mark the 14th for Newman/Haas Racing in the Indianapolis 500. Prior to 2004, the team prepared a total of 20 entries for drivers such as Mario and Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell and Paul Tracy. Newman/Haas Racing's highest finish in the Indianapolis 500 was second place with Mario Andretti in 1985 although team drivers have led many laps on the 2.5-mile Superspeedway. Mario Andretti also brought the team it's highest start in the event when he won the pole position in 1987.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:18 (Ref:931850)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strangely, IRL website doesn't report anything about.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 07:54 (Ref:931919)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Strangely, IRL website doesn't report anything about.
I reckon they wouldn't post anything until the entry has arrived.

Also, http://www.indy500.com is, in my opinion, better when it comes to keeping track of Indy 500 entries, as they usually update quicker.

In any case, it's good to hear that NHR has officially announced their intentions to take part.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 08:20 (Ref:931944)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well that make 33 cars a definite now, even if Penske dosen't enter his third car after all I suppose Junky will be the driver?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 12:10 (Ref:932164)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's already made it well at Indy; it would be silly to improvise with a newcomer.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 12:40 (Ref:932207)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Paul Newman has finally seen sense, and decided to enter the most important open-wheel race going. Bruno's won the pole there before, so he's defiantely a possibel contender.

If they've got any sense they'll run the car at Motegi to prepare - not sure if that race clashes with a ChampCar race, if it does they could run someone else (Christian Fitipaldi?). That said, they're running ChampCar in preference to IRl, so their sense is clearly limited
Old 6 Apr 2004, 13:55 (Ref:932302)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NHR will be at Long beach for the Champ Car opener, and not at Motegi.....

But they'll have plenty of time to shake down the car in May, plus there is usually an Indy testing day in late April that also serves as rookie orientation/approval.....

The Indy Star also reported this today, but stated that one or two entries was uncertain...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 14:06 (Ref:932322)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Is anywhere an official press release website?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 17:21 (Ref:932508)   #9
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The postsed entry list, as of 4-1-04 shows 33 cars, 24 drivers, but neither NHR nor Greg Ray are shown, so its not complete.

http://www.indy500.com/news/story/st...?story_id=2413

SPEED TV now reports it confirmed, at least one Dallara-Honda for Bruno Junqueira, but its not yet known if Sebastian Bourdais will be in a second car.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/10543/
Old 6 Apr 2004, 17:38 (Ref:932528)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Why a Dallara-Honda, when they tested last year with a Panoz/G-Force-Toyota?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 17:38 (Ref:932529)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Why a Dallara-Honda, when they tested last year with a Panoz/G-Force-Toyota?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 17:39 (Ref:932532)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
$?
Old 6 Apr 2004, 17:58 (Ref:932561)   #13
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They tested a Dallara Toyota. The G Forces were never delivered. That was a false rumor from last year.

Robin Miller broke the Honda story a few weeks ago. This is being soft pedalled because of Kevin Kalkhoven and Paul Gentilozzi screaming Honda conspiracy and threatenning to sue everyone they think is out to get them. One insider, whom I wont name here, reports that Carl Haas is less than impressed with OWRS management; an opinion apparantly held by senior members of NHR who are fervantly anti-IRL.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 21:33 (Ref:932803)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indy500.com is now reporting the news.It will be a single car entery, with one backup. No word on the chassis, driver, or engine though.

In other news, Greg Ray and Accsess Motorsports filed thier entries. Single car from them also, with a backup.

Full story.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 6 Apr 2004 at 21:33.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 22:20 (Ref:932860)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
They tested a Dallara Toyota. The G Forces were never delivered. That was a false rumor from last year.

Robin Miller broke the Honda story a few weeks ago. This is being soft pedalled because of Kevin Kalkhoven and Paul Gentilozzi screaming Honda conspiracy and threatenning to sue everyone they think is out to get them. One insider, whom I wont name here, reports that Carl Haas is less than impressed with OWRS management; an opinion apparantly held by senior members of NHR who are fervantly anti-IRL.
If you want to get a feel for how Gentilozzi seems to be doing business when it comes to his other series, Trans-Am, take a trip over to the "Sportscars and GT" Forum and read a Thread titled "Will Trans-Am Be at Long Beach"

Especially the post by an officer from Creative Comunications....the company that "was" handling the Trans-Am website...

Interesting to say the least...

Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:32 (Ref:933081)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram

?). That said, they're running ChampCar in preference to IRL, so their sense is clearly limited
Thats not too nice
Old 19 Apr 2004, 10:52 (Ref:943956)   #17
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Newman won't be involved with this. So I guess that makes it a "Haas Racing" entry.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 12:15 (Ref:944074)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2

Absiolutely reliable sources confirmed me that it's all about GForce, no Dallara involved; of course,as an italian fan, i'd largely prefer you were right, sgw2, but unfortunately it seems you're not.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 13:42 (Ref:944180)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Paul Newman won't be involved with this. So I guess that makes it a "Haas Racing" entry.

Who Cares????

I hope his salad dressing doesn't clog up his pipes while he misses "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"

It's his loss, not ours....

Stay in "LA LA Land," Paul....we don't care if you come to the Brickard....

Because you'd just be one of 375,000 people at the race that day as far as I'm concerned....

Old 19 Apr 2004, 13:54 (Ref:944189)   #20
BizTeacher
Rookie

BizTeacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
375,000 people a the race - how many have free tickets?
Old 19 Apr 2004, 13:57 (Ref:944192)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by BizTeacher
There may be businesses that own luxury suites along the Tower Terrace area that provide tickets to the suites for their special clients as a way to schmooze them or thank them, but otherwise, the balance of those are "Paid" tickets.....

I've lived here most of my life, and I have plenty of contacts in the racing community (including the IRL).....I have never been able to find, get or locate a "Free" ticket to the race....

Hope that answers any thoughts anyone may have concerning "papering" at the Indy 500....

Because it doesn't happen....

Old 20 Apr 2004, 03:54 (Ref:944964)   #22
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BizTeacher
Um, we could get into an argument over free tickets at IRL OR CART events, but I suggest we don't do THAT here.

OK, Newman.....can he be SO petty that he can't put aside his differences with TG/IRL/IMS for ONE darn day and come out to support HIS TEAM!?
I'm sorry but this "I'm not gonna support the Indy 500 because of TG" is, to me AND IMO, childish!

You know, I'm beginning to wonder (and this is MHO, BTW) if things are kosher in the N-H camp.
I know Bruno whines a lot (and I like him) but he seemed more peeved after the race and rather critical in his comments about the RULES. Usually, he moans and groans about being blocked on track or about other drivers, etc....

Now, keep in mind, this is MY take and MHO....not fact or rumours from another source.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 11:56 (Ref:945348)   #23
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Who Cares????

I hope his salad dressing doesn't clog up his pipes while he misses "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"

It's his loss, not ours....

Stay in "LA LA Land," Paul....we don't care if you come to the Brickard....

Because you'd just be one of 375,000 people at the race that day as far as I'm concerned....
Couldn't've put it better myself. However many free tickets there are for the 500, it won't match the number of people who were just at Long Beach for the non-racing events (come to think of it, I'm not sure these street processions count as 'racing'), and won't WATCH another race of any form all year, let alone actually attend one or buy merchandise.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:29 (Ref:945498)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
Couldn't've put it better myself. However many free tickets there are for the 500, it won't match the number of people who were just at Long Beach for the non-racing events (come to think of it, I'm not sure these street processions count as 'racing'), and won't WATCH another race of any form all year, let alone actually attend one or buy merchandise.
Couldn't have said that better myself...

BTW....

Robin Miller said on "SpeedNews" Sunday and last night on "Wind Tunnel" that Long beach was full, with people wandering around that weren't in seats....and OWRS attendees also said it was packed...

However, Steve Ballard reported in yesterday's Indy Star that the attendance "was estimated at about 75,000...10,000 down from last year"

Thee are CART die-hards that will turn up for races and support the series...they are intense in their love for the series....and I applaud them for that....

But a sizable percentage of the LB attendees each year are there to "be seen" or to "see the 'beautiful people' in attendance" and (as Robin Miller said -- also on "Wind Tunnel" in early March)many of them will not show up for another race all year....

Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:57 (Ref:945533)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Here are a few posts from the other forum on attendance last Sunday

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mags
It was JAMMED. And there were so many General Admissions you couldn't MOVE!! Attendance may have been down, and they didn't give out attendance figures, but we were told that there were 100,000 paid ticket sales for race day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a GA ticket I actually had a pretty easy time moving around, despite the fact that they made bridges super narrow. I was at the new walkway out by 1 (probably the best GA spot out there) and at no time on Sunday was the bridge completely filled, although there were people that I would think the 70-80k estimate is probably right.

This board is fast and danger.