Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 20 Feb 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3028441)   #1
pstreat
Rookie

pstreat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are the National Supersports cars now?

I've been trying to look back at the last few years of the Dunlop National Supersports championship but can't really find much info (all old websites shut down)

I was thinking there must be quite a lot of chassis out there sat in garages doing nothing: Mallock 32/33s and P21s, Chirons, Jades, the original Juno's (SS1/2), Nemisis, Zeus.

I know there are a few nemisis and Chiron chassis that appear in OSS and Combe GTs and a couple that now have bigger engines but there doesn't seem to be many original vauxhall engined cars out and about in those series?

Anyone know where they all are? - there must be at least a grid full somewhere.

I know that Mike Jenvey in a converted Gunn supersports chassis has been one of the fastest things in Sports 2000 (with the later TS11 developments of the same chassis pretty dominant too). Have many original cars been converted to other specifications?

Alterior motive here is looking for a good base chassis for a Duratec conversion and Supersports are a pretty close match in terms of specification as shown by the Gunns - if there are chassis out there sitting idle it could be a good way to get in to the series without having to buy a new car or paying a premium for one with provenance in the series.....

I'd be interested in anything anyone knows about the original series and where the cars are now

Paul
Old 3 Mar 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3034467)   #2
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul I think you will find that most supersport cars have been converted for other uses. All the Gunns have been turned into S2000 cars, a lot of the Jades have been converted to run with bigger engines in the Open sportscar series and a lot of the other margues have become CN cars.

It is a good idea to look for a redundant Supersport chassis but I think you will find that the majority of sports racing cars built in the last few years are far too heavy to be competitive in S2000. There are many reasons for this but the main one is the saftey rules that modern cars have to have.

When I built my S2000 car I was told by a well respected team owner and former constructor that if you do it right the design will come out 50kg too heavy and you will end up going down the route of £10k of carbonfibre bodywork. Looking at some of the "works" Duratec cars racing at the moment I think he was right.

Not willing to say much more here but if you contact me via PM or email I might be able to help you out finding a suitable chassis that could run as a Duratec car.