Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 May 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1290848)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Baumgartner as Minardi 3rd driver ??

I have read on an Italian site that Zsolt might be back at Minardi as a 3rd driver on race week-ends and test driver (he would be better tha Channoch). Does anyone have any developments if it is going to happen? Anyone living in Hungary know something about this ?
Old 1 May 2005, 04:43 (Ref:1290850)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Minardi would have to build a third PS05 for the testing to make any difference....

Is there a problem with a team running a totally different chassis as their T car?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 1 May 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1290942)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They could run a PS04B as the third car, but there wouldn't be much point.

Unless it was profitable...
Old 1 May 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1290986)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nissany can't be a Friday tester anyway, as he doesn't have a superlicence, or any hope of getting one. Now that the rules on 3rd drivers have been changed Zsolt is eligible again, and it would be worthwhile if they cang et a third PS05 build.
Old 2 May 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1291461)   #5
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably Minardi will be building a third PS05 as a spare car at some point, I guess they just haven't had chance yet...
Old 2 May 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1291463)   #6
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Nissany can't be a Friday tester anyway, as he doesn't have a superlicence, or any hope of getting one. Now that the rules on 3rd drivers have been changed Zsolt is eligible again, and it would be worthwhile if they cang et a third PS05 build.

Who in their right mind would throw away sponsorship money on being a third driver for Minardi ? It does not do them any good, I've even forgotten who last years 3rd driver was ? Leinders ? Surely a budget that would get you a Friday job with Minardi would be enough to get you a half decent deal for GP2 or A1GP, surely a better route to take ?

Rob
Old 2 May 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1291465)   #7
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Monteiro was Minardi's 2nd test driver last year, and is now in F1 with Jordan. Admittedly this was little to do witth his Minardi role, as he never even drove the car until the autumn...
Old 2 May 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1291467)   #8
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no idea he had driven the Minardi, but then it seems that every week some other 'very talented prospect' is testing for Paul and co...

Rob
Old 4 May 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1292565)   #9
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Baumgartner may well be better off doing the A1GP for Hungary, if there is a Hungarian team. He may turn a few heads in equal cars!
Old 4 May 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1292569)   #10
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If he has sponsorship $$$s and no drive at the moment...
It can't do him any harm

DKGandBH
Old 4 May 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1292612)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
Baumgartner may well be better off doing the A1GP for Hungary, if there is a Hungarian team. He may turn a few heads in equal cars!

He drove in equal cars for years in F3000 and was poor there.
Old 4 May 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1292614)   #12
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
By turn a few head I mean- 'hey didn't a just lap that guy 3 laps ago??'

Old 4 May 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1293224)   #13
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has there ever been a 3 car F1 team that raced? If so, how long ago was it? Is it even legally allowed under the F1 rules?
Old 5 May 2005, 05:27 (Ref:1293397)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

kmchow - there have been in the past - the most recent time being Renault for 1 race in 1984 I believe.

Current rules say you have to enter two car teams.

Although in the seventies, BRM did have a five-car team for a season
Old 6 May 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1294199)   #15
Skam85
Veteran

What will happen if BAR don't race? Do Renault and Toyota (top 2 teams) have to run 3 cars? Whats the rule on that?
Old 6 May 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1294212)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me it is not clear whether it is the top two, all of them, the bottom two or a lottery. I heard it was a lottery on who ran the two cars with the winner having first refusal.
Old 6 May 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1294243)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For third cars to be added midseason, I think the number of cars needs to drop to 16 rather than 18, and the FIA can claim force majeure and not be obligated to provide extra cars. As for which teams would provide them in that sitiuation, I have no idea. I'd prefer to see the bottom teams get first refusal, call me a Communist if you will.
Old 6 May 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1294324)   #18
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being thrid driver would be a bit of a step down for Zsolt, and an undeserved one as he did quite well last year compared to Bruni - he at least raced with the right attitude and an ability to avoid trouble. Neither Minardi driver has really stood out as especially good or bad, but that's not easy to do when you're mired at the back anyway. Given his experience though, Zsolt can probably push them ahead of the Jordans.
Old 6 May 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1294340)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
kmchow - there have been in the past - the most recent time being Renault for 1 race in 1984 I believe.
The third car being for onboard camera development purposes! Totally ineligible for points I think. I also think it was in 1985. The German GP.
Old 6 May 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1294366)   #20
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
For third cars to be added midseason, I think the number of cars needs to drop to 16 rather than 18, and the FIA can claim force majeure and not be obligated to provide extra cars. As for which teams would provide them in that sitiuation, I have no idea. I'd prefer to see the bottom teams get first refusal, call me a Communist if you will.
If the number of cars drops to 16, shouldn't be a problem at all.

They can simply ask the four teams that are not allowed to run a third car on fridays, to enter a third car for the race.
They would still have some disadvantage, because their third driver has to be careful on his tyres and engine on friday, while the other friday third drivers don't have to.Furthermore, I would guess they would probably let the car be driven by their reserve driver ("3rd driver") rather than their third driver ("test driver" of "friday test driver").
Old 6 May 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1294518)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the top teams would be the ones more likely to be asked to run a third car, given the costs involved.
Old 6 May 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1294567)   #22
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I think the top teams would be the ones more likely to be asked to run a third car, given the costs involved.
Yep, that's what I said.

The four teams who are not allowed to have a third driver at friday tests, are the teams that should be asked if 4 extra cars are needed for the race.